Golfing Thread

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Have my orientation today should be up and playing by the weekend.

Also got a killer deal through the club on some new Ping irons as I wanted a set to keep there as well as a travel set.

Congrats Rock! Which Pings did you go with?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Congrats Rock! Which Pings did you go with?

I25s. Right now I have old G10s from when I was a 20 handicap and now I'm down to a 12 and really I need to lower my flight angle and decrease offset.

Also yesterday my driver shaft went out on my R7 that I love and they gave me a titleist 913 to play with while they reshafted my driver and wow it's much more tuned to my draw swing than my R7. I used to have to force a fade on it and this new one uses my regular swing. Good chance I pick that up as well

At my orientation I played the worst I've played in a long time. Went out with one of the same guys today and shot an 82. He accused me of sandbagging. I wish I was. It was one of those days when you push everything. Today I got my nice draw back. The best part about joining was my wife and son went to the pool and met me for dinner.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
Oh and it looks like I'm already being pushed into the technology board due to my background and the fact I described how they should deploy wireless. How can I turn that down nicely?

Say your employer frown on participating in things like that?

Again, congrats on the membership!

I was this close to joining today and playing my first round, and then the wife got cold feet. I had negotiated a bunch of stuff into the deal and everything. Think I'm going to have to tell the guy we've had a change of heart; he will not be pleased.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 31, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Almost went sub 80 today. Fantastic Chicago golf weather.

Awesome!

I convinced the wife to join the Club after all...today was my first round as a member...what an amazing golf course. Shot 93, but a lot of it was just hitting the wrong club, or the wrong approach into the green...I can tell I'll be able to improve on that quite a bit.

Really stoked to get to hit this place whenever the hell my little heart desires :)

Shot 9 over through 9 holes today. Might not sound great, but for me, that's the best golf I've ever played. I can be happy with bogey golf. Wish we had been able to play a full 18 because I was really starting to feel it. The only downside was I choked on the 9th hole. Had a 8 ft downhill putt for birdie and ended up 3-putting. Awful, awful way to end the day. Horrible read.

Edited by dasox24

I started looking for a high school coaching position and can't believe within two weeks I've been offered the head position at a really solid high school in San Antonio. As I was discussing the requirements for the job I was laughing how seemingly unrelated experiences helped me land the position. Networking for donations of resources? Boy Scouts of America. Dealing with private clubs? Men's Golf Association president and board of governors member at a private club. Previous coaching experience? Check. The school even needed a teacher for my subject. I can't wait to get started.

Does anyone have advice for someone who wants to learn how to play golf, but is very limited on funds. I already have some hand-me-down clubs, but I can't afford to take lessons or anything like that. there is a public 9-hole course in my area that is less than $15 to play, but I can't get the damn ball in the air, so I don't play. Is there really no way to improve my swing mechanics without taking lessons? Do the teaching shows on the golf channel actually help novices? Looking for as many ideas as I can get. Been trying to learn for a few years. I had it a couple years ago, but found the sweet spot in October and the weather went south and I lost it over the winter because I had no time to keep practicing. The next spring went to the range and haven't been able to find it again. It seems as the time went on my swing just kept getting worse and worse. Going out to the range for the first time in a while this week, and I kinda want it to be constructive and not just a waste of $. So for those who play often: Should I put this on hold until I have more disposable income, or should I keep trying?

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
Does anyone have advice for someone who wants to learn how to play golf, but is very limited on funds. I already have some hand-me-down clubs, but I can't afford to take lessons or anything like that. there is a public 9-hole course in my area that is less than $15 to play, but I can't get the damn ball in the air, so I don't play. Is there really no way to improve my swing mechanics without taking lessons? Do the teaching shows on the golf channel actually help novices? Looking for as many ideas as I can get. Been trying to learn for a few years. I had it a couple years ago, but found the sweet spot in October and the weather went south and I lost it over the winter because I had no time to keep practicing. The next spring went to the range and haven't been able to find it again. It seems as the time went on my swing just kept getting worse and worse. Going out to the range for the first time in a while this week, and I kinda want it to be constructive and not just a waste of $. So for those who play often: Should I put this on hold until I have more disposable income, or should I keep trying?

Download the simple golf swing. I may have a copy. Very easy.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)

Youtube has a ton of helpful stuff on there as well. You'll be fine, just keep practicing. Buy some wiffle balls or the rope it and use it in your backyard or at a park. Maybe have someone video your swing at some point, just to compare it to the stuff you see online. I hadn't seen myself swing ever, and finally saw it a few months ago and it was easy to see a few things I was doing wrong.

At some point, save your money you would have used at the range a few times, and get 1 golf lesson. Look for a groupon or something, you can probably get a group lesson for somewhat cheap. You'll be amazed what you get with just one lesson, and a few pointers.

Another thing you can do is to go into a Golf Galaxy or similar type golf store and act as though you are in the market for a set of clubs. Tell them you want to hit the club on their simulator. Usually you can hit some balls and get some free advice from the guys there just on the premise of being a potential customer.

Another good book is Ben Hogan's 5 fundamentals of modern golf. Some great illustrations and instruction in there (although Hogan didn't always seem to explain really well what he actually did in his own swing).

To me, golf has always been a game where you either had a natural knack for it, or you didn't. Certainly you can make some major improvement with lessons, but the people who are really good golfers generally have a pretty good knack for it just naturally.

I've been struggling with my game a bit as well. I've always been a pretty natural golfer; I can pick up a club after not playing for two years and go out and shoot bogey golf. Then I start playing regularly and start picking up all these nasty habits somehow. Case in point, since I joined this club, I'm practicing or playing 4-5 times a week now. Short game has seen major improvements, but my swing is just all over the damn place. One day I'm pulling my drives left, the next day I've got this power fade going on. The irons I've been apparently fighting an early release and just yanking everything left.

Golf is a really humbling, frustrating game. As soon as you think everything is coming together, something goes wrong just to keep you honest. Then on your last hole of the round, the golf gods have a way of throwing you a bone and you'll hit your best shot of the day, just to keep you coming back to the masochism.

Looking at taking a few lessons myself.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
I started looking for a high school coaching position and can't believe within two weeks I've been offered the head position at a really solid high school in San Antonio. As I was discussing the requirements for the job I was laughing how seemingly unrelated experiences helped me land the position. Networking for donations of resources? Boy Scouts of America. Dealing with private clubs? Men's Golf Association president and board of governors member at a private club. Previous coaching experience? Check. The school even needed a teacher for my subject. I can't wait to get started.

BTW, Congrats, Tex!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Another thing you can do is to go into a Golf Galaxy or similar type golf store and act as though you are in the market for a set of clubs. Tell them you want to hit the club on their simulator. Usually you can hit some balls and get some free advice from the guys there just on the premise of being a potential customer.

Another good book is Ben Hogan's 5 fundamentals of modern golf. Some great illustrations and instruction in there (although Hogan didn't always seem to explain really well what he actually did in how own swing).

To me, golf has always been a game where you either had a natural knack for it, or you didn't. Certainly you can make some major improvement with lessons, but the people who are really good golfers generally have a pretty good knack for it just naturally.

I've been struggling with my game a bit as well. I've always been a pretty natural golfer; I can pick up a club after not playing for two years and go out and shoot bogey golf. Then I start playing regularly and start picking up all these nasty habits somehow. Case in point, since I joined this club, I'm practicing or playing 4-5 times a week now. Short game has seen major improvements, but my swing is just all over the damn place. One day I'm pulling my drives left, the next day I've got this power fade going on. The irons I've been apparently fighting an early release and just yanking everything left.

Golf is a really humbling, frustrating game. As soon as you think everything is coming together, something goes wrong just to keep you honest. Then on your last hole of the round, the golf gods have a way of throwing you a bone and you'll hit your best shot of the day, just to keep you coming back to the masochism.

I'm in the same boat, lots of quirks and fixes going on right now for me in already a mid season slump. My irons just keep leaking to the right.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)

Another good book is Ben Hogan's 5 fundamentals of modern golf. Some great illustrations and instruction in there (although Hogan didn't always seem to explain really well what he actually did in his own swing).

I've played 3-4 holes perfect before, just awesome drives, 2nd shots and putts, and then followed it up with 3 awful holes where i'm all over the place and hitting shots fat. Consistency is why the guys on the tour are on the tour.

When friends and I play and we hit terrible shots or have terrible holes, we laugh and scream "GOLFING!" Because that's what it is - a bunch of terrible/not good stuff that pisses you off, and then you hit one great shot and it's all worth it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
I've played 3-4 holes perfect before, just awesome drives, 2nd shots and putts, and then followed it up with 3 awful holes where i'm all over the place and hitting shots fat. Consistency is why the guys on the tour are on the tour.

When friends and I play and we hit terrible shots or have terrible holes, we laugh and scream "GOLFING!" Because that's what it is - a bunch of terrible/not good stuff that pisses you off, and then you hit one great shot and it's all worth it.

I usually play city courses, but Sunday for fathers day I played at a country club.

It's amazing how hard it is to be consistent on a good course. for a straight up, 140yd-220 straight fairway shot, I will have a great hit and people will say " man, you have a beautiful swing". Now put me in rough, on a hill, in a trap, etc, and I can't recover. And good courses constantly put you in "recovery mode". Those are the shots (within 100yds, chipping onto a downhill green) that make you a good golfer. And they are the shots you can't even really practice!