Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
The thought that we shouldn't take him because we might hurt his chances at a championship never crossed my mind because as I said, its too unpredictable to pick a champion right now. I'm not even certain which teams are going to be in the playoffs save a few.

I thought the thread was made to discuss if the white sox would benefit from claiming him in the long and short term.

Clearly we would benefit from claiming him since Dunn has been completely worthless all year long, there isnt anything really long term about it

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
And I've been extremely right so far. The only reason we've remained "in" the race is because of the s***tiness of the division. And since then, the Tigers have gotten even better. I've also said since the beginning that the Sox could still win the division, due only to how bad it is, but that we would do absolutely nothing if we miraculously made the playoffs. I don't think we've gained on the Tigers in over a month or two. I see nothing changing.

Yes, the fact that the division is s***ty is a perfect example of why we can still win it with so many games left against these same s***ty teams..

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
The thought that we shouldn't take him because we might hurt his chances at a championship never crossed my mind because as I said, its too unpredictable to pick a champion right now. I'm not even certain which teams are going to be in the playoffs save a few.

I thought the thread was made to discuss if the white sox would benefit from claiming him in the long and short term.

You can certainly predict who won't win a championship, though. By the way, about 6 of the 8 playoff spots are already all but locked up.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
You know what if he doesnt like that we claimed him if we do then he can retire. Hell we may not even claim him and there really is no loss for the White Sox if we do.

That has been my point this entire time. It does not benefit the Sox to claim him, so why do it? It only serves to screw him out of a chance to win a title.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
That has been my point this entire time. It does not benefit the Sox to claim him, so why do it? It only serves to screw him out of a chance to win a title.

I worded that wrong.I believe he helps us. He clearly is an upgrade at DH. There is no loss for the White Sox if he decides to play or retire

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
Yes, the fact that the division is s***ty is a perfect example of why we can still win it with so many games left against these same s***ty teams..

But we would do nothing in the playoffs. We're already basically out of it, let's not drag Thome to the depths with us.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)

Really? There is no benefit from claiming him? Would he not be an upgrade over a guy in our lineup hitting .169?

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
Really? There is no benefit from claiming him? Would he not be an upgrade over a guy in our lineup hitting .169?

He'd be an upgrade for the Orioles, too. But there's no point. We'd be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. If we acquired Thome, say, 2 months ago, it'd be a benefit. At this point, it's too little too late.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
Why would we spend more money when our attendance is pathetic and we have a .500 team with virtually no chance to win it all this year?

Yes spending 600K is really putting it all out there...

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
He'd be an upgrade for the Orioles, too. But there's no point. We'd be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. If we acquired Thome, say, 2 months ago, it'd be a benefit. At this point, it's too little too late.

lol ok, now you're just a hater and there is no point in trying to discuss this with you.. the Orioles are damn near 30 games out of first place, were not..

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
lol ok, now you're just a hater and there is no point in trying to discuss this with you.. the Orioles are damn near 30 games out of first place, were not..

What I'm saying is that, yes, it would make their team better. But it doesn't matter because it's already over. For the Orioles, it is in stone that it is already over. For the Sox, it's over in all but the mathematical sense.

The Tigers need to play one game over .500 just to get to 87 wins.

The Sox need to win 2/3 of their games to get to that same number.

It's just not going to happen.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
What I'm saying is that, yes, it would make their team better. But it doesn't matter because it's already over. For the Orioles, it is in stone that it is already over. For the Sox, it's over in all but the mathematical sense.

Good thing the math is all that counts at the end of the day

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)

It'll take a minor sports miracle for the Sox to win the division, I will agree with you there. However, looking at this race in a large generality like that is often deceiving. If the Sox go 4-2 against the Tigers in their final 6, that would mean the Tigers would have to play 3 games over .500 to win the division and the Sox would probably only have to play .600 ball...just guessing here. If the Sox take 5 of 6, then the Tigers have to play 5 games over .500 in the rest of their matchups to get to that elusive 87 win mark, and leaves the Sox probably having to win anywhere between 55-57.5% of their games. If somehow the Sox were to win all 6, then the Sox just have to play 1 game better than Detroit because they'd be in first place.

Beyond any of that, if the Sox were to put a claim in on Thome and the Twins were to allow him to go freely, it would take a bat away from a divisional opponent that the Sox still have to face 6 more times this year. We are all aware, for several reasons, that Thome can change the outcome of a game with one swing of the bat. That likely makes Minnesota an easier opponent from this point forward as well (of course, this also affects Cleveland and Detroit too).

So, yeah, you can look at the ridiculous records the teams would have to go, but at the end of the day, it's going to be head to head matchups that are going to determine the winner of the division. The two teams will probably split, leaving the Sox in a huge hole that they won't be able to climb out of, but, even as badly as I want to, I simply can't write this team off until they have finished up those divisional games.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
I've added a ton to this argument already. You're the one taking the cop out.

Yes Im sorry that I havent given up on the team yet....even though we still are in the hunt. :gosox3:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
It'll take a minor sports miracle for the Sox to win the division, I will agree with you there. However, looking at this race in a large generality like that is often deceiving. If the Sox go 4-2 against the Tigers in their final 6, that would mean the Tigers would have to play 3 games over .500 to win the division and the Sox would probably only have to play .600 ball...just guessing here. If the Sox take 5 of 6, then the Tigers have to play 5 games over .500 in the rest of their matchups to get to that elusive 87 win mark, and leaves the Sox probably having to win anywhere between 55-57.5% of their games. If somehow the Sox were to win all 6, then the Sox just have to play 1 game better than Detroit because they'd be in first place.

Beyond any of that, if the Sox were to put a claim in on Thome and the Twins were to allow him to go freely, it would take a bat away from a divisional opponent that the Sox still have to face 6 more times this year. We are all aware, for several reasons, that Thome can change the outcome of a game with one swing of the bat. That likely makes Minnesota an easier opponent from this point forward as well (of course, this also affects Cleveland and Detroit too).

So, yeah, you can look at the ridiculous records the teams would have to go, but at the end of the day, it's going to be head to head matchups that are going to determine the winner of the division. The two teams will probably split, leaving the Sox in a huge hole that they won't be able to climb out of, but, even as badly as I want to, I simply can't write this team off until they have finished up those divisional games.

Well, I hope fathom was right about there being no way the Sox claim him.