Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
After rosters expand and AJP is activated, you could play AJP and DH Flowers without Ozzie feeling short-handed.

Ozzie rarely does that.In fact didnt he say something about that? Didnt he say he didnt like to do that?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Haha, such a Sox move. I think they've done everything they possibly could this year to make me like them less and less.

I wouldnt say its a forgone conclusion that he is part of this team. Like I said its Joe Cowley.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Id like to know how many times he has done this with more than 2 catchers on the roster

I'd like to know how many times the Sox have had a backup catcher worthy of getting at bats. It's been few and far in between.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)

Its the typical Guillen trait. Forget what he did last year, Ozzie had nothing to do with Thome leaving. Oney did the same thing. Last year when Kotsay hit his second homer and it helped the Sox win, Thome was riding pine in Minnesota and had 2 homers. Oney tweeted that it was obvious the "skipper" which is what he calls his dad, made the right choice. Oney also tweeted that although Thome was a nice guy, he really wasn't a winner. When "the choice" was clearly wrong, it went from 100 percent Ozzie Guillen's decision to Ozzie had nothing to do with it, blame Kenny Williams. Looks like Ozzie is going the same way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)
Its the typical Guillen trait. Forget what he did last year, Ozzie had nothing to do with Thome leaving. Oney did the same thing. Last year when Kotsay hit his second homer and it helped the Sox win, Thome was riding pine in Minnesota and had 2 homers. Oney tweeted that it was obvious the "skipper" which is what he calls his dad, made the right choice. Oney also tweeted that although Thome was a nice guy, he really wasn't a winner. When "the choice" was clearly wrong, it went from 100 percent Ozzie Guillen's decision to Ozzie had nothing to do with it, blame Kenny Williams. Looks like Ozzie is going the same way.

I believe there was over a $10M difference in pay from his last season with the Sox then on to the Twins. It wouldn't look good for the organization to cut his pay that much.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 01:30 AM)
I believe there was over a $10M difference in pay from his last season with the Sox then on to the Twins. It wouldn't look good for the organization to cut his pay that much.

Thome was willing to sign a very cheap contract with the Sox last year. There were no issues with money at all.

It would be silly to bring him back now. If the Sox were 6 1/2 games out a month ago, they would have surrendered. This season is ova.

Edited by Dick Allen

"I'd love to add Jim Thome back, to be honest with you," said Guillen, who was looking for a more versatile designated hitter that also could play the field when Thome left for Minnesota in 2010. "A lot of people think I don't want Jimmy. It was just at that time we didn't have any place for him.

"But I have said day in and day out that Jimmy is one of my favorite guys in baseball. That's up to [general manger] Kenny [Williams]. I don't know if we're going to have five DHs. I don't expect him to be here, but if they want to bring him here, if you ask anybody wearing this uniform if they want Jim Thome back, everybody here would say yes. But that's not our department." Scott Merkin

Sure, we have Adam Dunn but we don't actually need him anymore. Who are the other 5 DH's? Viciedo? Konerko? Flowers? Lillibridge? Quentin?

The prevailing hypocrisy, double-speak and knife in the back routine with KW and Guillen this year and has been more interesting than the play in the field.

Sometimes (such as last night's MLB "game"), you really think Ozzie is daring Reindsdorf and/or KW to fire him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 05:50 AM)
I can't imagine the Indians claiming Thome, they know their fans abhor him. Actually I'd bet money on it, no chance it happens.

Why do Cleveland fans hate Thome? Because he used free agency and signed with Phillies??