All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (MEANS @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)
That was one crazy game last night between Japan and Italy. Some very nice goals, 2 bs penalty calls, and an own goal. Japan looked really good. Italy pulls out the win despite looking a bit tired.

Japan is going to start surprising people in the coming years. They have completely revamped their development programs starting about 8-10 years ago and we'll see if it starts to pay off soon, but they do have some nice young players on that roster. Very technically sound.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)

Wiki shows CR playing their other WCQ matches at the new stadium but shows the US game at Saprissa. Also ussoccer.com has it listed at Saprissa.

I'm pretty positive the game was originally going to be at the new stadium but was switched after the snow game.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Wiki shows CR playing their other WCQ matches at the new stadium but shows the US game at Saprissa. Also ussoccer.com has it listed at Saprissa.

I'm pretty positive the game was originally going to be at the new stadium but was switched after the snow game.

It's been all over twitter if you follow the right people. Do a little digging and you'll find that a few weeks ago it was announced the game will not be played there anymore. Yes, they announced it for Saprissa immediately following the Denver game but that's supposedly not going to work out anymore. Don't trust wikipedia on this one.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
http://news.yahoo.com/brazil-leaders-meet-...-054213617.html

I wonder if any of this stuff will effect WC or Olympics.

I know there have been some Brazilian reporters suggesting the World Cup should be moved to the US or Italy since. The odds of that actually happening are probably around 1% but still, it says something that reporters from arguably the soccer obsessed country in the world are suggesting that it should be moved away from them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
It was almost an upset, but they snuck in that 10th goal at the end. May have to re-think that Oceania spot in the 2017 Confed Cup.

I have no problems with Oceania getting an automatic bid to the Confederations Cup. For starters, its really just a meaningless tournament. Practically a warm up for the organizers to run a smooth tournament. Plus it gives Oceania a chance to play against the world's best.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I have no problems with Oceania getting an automatic bid to the Confederations Cup. For starters, its really just a meaningless tournament. Practically a warm up for the organizers to run a smooth tournament. Plus it gives Oceania a chance to play against the world's best.

I realize it's a meaningless tournament and it's fine when New Zealand makes it, but I just don't see the point in having Tahiti show up to lose 3 games by a total score of 20-1.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
I realize it's a meaningless tournament and it's fine when New Zealand makes it, but I just don't see the point in having Tahiti show up to lose 3 games by a total score of 20-1.

New Zealand should make it most times anyway. It was a huge enough upset that they didn't get there.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)

I get that, but it is called the Confederation's Cup. If they want to exclude a confederation from getting an invite then they need to rethink what the tournament is about. I'm fine with them getting a bid.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
That was a perfectly placed rocket IMO, not gonna put too much blame on the goalie for that one.

Perfectly placed because the goalie was out of position. If the goalie is where he's supposed to be that spot isn't open.

It was only a friendly and it was only Guatemala, but Stuart Holden showed some great signs last night. Made a few bad plays but had some phenomenal balls and plays. Going to be very interested how he fares in the next couple of weeks. If he can regain form, that is a major bonus for the USMNT.

Also, Jozy is apparently going to Sunderland. Kind of split on the move. On the one hand, it's the EPL and he is almost assuredly going to play a ton as the main striker up top, on the other hand, I was kind of hoping for a more marquee club. We'll see how he fares. Hopefully Sunderland keep Sessegnon on board as he will provide good service for Jozy

Donovan with two goals in his return with the national team as well. I'm hoping he can gel as this is the first time he's ever been able to play with two guys up front that are playing as good as Dempsey/Altidore. This US squad seems to really be gelling but a lot can happen between now and the World Cup (and first we need to take care of business and wrap up the qualifiers).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
It was only a friendly and it was only Guatemala, but Stuart Holden showed some great signs last night. Made a few bad plays but had some phenomenal balls and plays. Going to be very interested how he fares in the next couple of weeks. If he can regain form, that is a major bonus for the USMNT.

Also, Jozy is apparently going to Sunderland. Kind of split on the move. On the one hand, it's the EPL and he is almost assuredly going to play a ton as the main striker up top, on the other hand, I was kind of hoping for a more marquee club. We'll see how he fares. Hopefully Sunderland keep Sessegnon on board as he will provide good service for Jozy

Actually that may have been a bad move for him. We've seen iit a few times where an American player goes to a bigger named club and just rides the pine. He'll turn 24 this season so there's plenty of time for him to climb up the ranks.

I still look back and laugh at the American media, namely ESPN, going crazy when Oneywu signed with AC Milan. That was career suicide and while he's had injuries, he's never been able to recover from that horrible decision.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
Actually that may have been a bad move for him. We've seen iit a few times where an American player goes to a bigger named club and just rides the pine. He'll turn 24 this season so there's plenty of time for him to climb up the ranks.

I still look back and laugh at the American media, namely ESPN, going crazy when Oneywu signed with AC Milan. That was career suicide and while he's had injuries, he's never been able to recover from that horrible decision.

I don't mean a huge club, but a club that could compete for Europe. There were rumors of interest from Fiorentina, Schalke, Fulham and Shakhtar for example. I don't think Sunderland is a bad move and it would be better for him to play consistently over the next year leading up to the World Cup, but I guess I was just hoping for a little better of a club than one whose goal would be to finish in the top half of the table

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
Panama beat Mexico in the first match of the Gold Cup. Is Mexico not playing their "A" team or is this just a huge upset?

It's not Mexico's 'A' team. It's also not Panama's full 'A' team (no Blas Perez for example). And it's also Panama. It's also the first time Panama has ever beaten Mexico. It's still a significant upset. Mexico is really in a rut right now. I can't believe Chepo hasn't been canned yet