Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

The Bears front office continues to impress. They had agreed to send BAL a 4th round pick to move up 3 spots and even told Carimi they would pick him there. But no one on the Bears side told the NFL in time, so the trade never became official and that's why BAL "passed" on their pick. The Bears lucked out that Carimi was still there, but now the Ravens are pissed and still want some compensation for the trade they agreed on that never happened.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 01:45 AM)
Either way, the Bills were going to come out a winner. There are plenty of rush linebackers left - though obviously none as good as Miller - but not many QBs and you aren't going to get anything close to Dareus in round 2. I'm still hoping for Kaepernick and whoever the next best rush linebacker is in 2/3.

I'm not going to believe the Bills come out a "Winner" in a draft until I see a guy they draft playing in his second pro bowl.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 07:25 AM)
The Bears front office continues to impress. They had agreed to send BAL a 4th round pick to move up 3 spots and even told Carimi they would pick him there. But no one on the Bears side told the NFL in time, so the trade never became official and that's why BAL "passed" on their pick. The Bears lucked out that Carimi was still there, but now the Ravens are pissed and still want some compensation for the trade they agreed on that never happened.

It appears Baltimore still got the player they wanted, but leave it to the Bears to be unaware of draft rules. I'm surprised they showed up at the right building.

Very happy with what the Chiefs did. Although I think Baldwin could have been had a little later, and I was kind of leaning towards Torrey Smith, I'm fine with it. Gives Cassell another legit threat and teams will have to respect the passing game even more now so they can't load up the box with Charles. But the fact that they traded down, still got Baldwin, and the 6th pick in the 3rd round too? Awesome. In an ideal world, Rodney Hudson falls to them in round 2 and Justin Houston is somehow still there at the start of the 3rd. That happens and no matter what they do 4-7 it will be a home run draft for them IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)
It appears Baltimore still got the player they wanted, but leave it to the Bears to be unaware of draft rules. I'm surprised they showed up at the right building.

It sounds like our 4th mind wind up in Baltimore anyway to save face.

That would really suck, we need as many bodies as we can handle.

As for the first rounder, the Bears did exactly what I wanted them to do. They got themselves a big boy to guard Jay's blind side. Keep it up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6448930

Moments after the Chicago Bears made him the 29th pick of the NFL draft on Thursday, offensive tackle Gabe Carimi got a sense of who was the happiest to have him on board.

More From ESPNChicago.com

Can't get enough Bears information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Monsters of the Midway. Blog

"Jay Cutler sent me a nice text," Carimi said Friday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "He was actually one of the first people to send me a text. I think he was No. 3, so he must have really known I was going to get selected right there.

"I reached back out and told him I was so pumped to be a Bear and to be able to give him the time he needs."

Considering Cutler was sacked 57 times and missed a game after a concussion last season, it's no surprise he was so eager to welcome the tackle from Wisconsin.

Carimi joked that Cutler said: "Concussions really suck Gabe, I don't want any more."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 07:25 AM)

Honestly, I think they probably found out last minute that KC wasn't going to take Carimi and that's why they didn't pull the trigger. Ravens got screwed and the Bears blamed it on miscommunication. I don't see how the Ravens are going to get s*** out of this...it sucks what happened and it's bad business, but verbally agreeing on something isn't ironclad. The Bears decided their 4th rd pick was more valuable than their word.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
Honestly, I think they probably found out last minute that KC wasn't going to take Carimi and that's why they didn't pull the trigger. Ravens got screwed and the Bears blamed it on miscommunication. I don't see how the Ravens are going to get s*** out of this...it sucks what happened and it's bad business, but verbally agreeing on something isn't ironclad. The Bears decided their 4th rd pick was more valuable than their word.

A caller on the radio pointed out that the Ravens were the team to cause the Vikings to miss two picks a few years back. F*ck the Ravens.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
A caller on the radio pointed out that the Ravens were the team to cause the Vikings to miss two picks a few years back. F*ck the Ravens.

I had never heard that before. Funny how that goes around, huh>

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)

Yup, and here's a quote from the Ravens GM after it: "The deal was not consummated," general manager Ozzie Newsome said at Baltimore's headquarters. "A deal is not a deal until I talk to Joel Bussert, and I never talked to Joel Bussert."

The Ravens, while acknowledging the trade was agreed upon, contended it was not made official because they didn't speak with league official Joel Bussert.

"The deal was not consummated," general manager Ozzie Newsome said at Baltimore's headquarters. "A deal is not a deal until I talk to Joel Bussert, and I never talked to Joel Bussert."

So what the f*** is the difference here, asshole? Go f*** yourself.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
The Ravens, while acknowledging the trade was agreed upon, contended it was not made official because they didn't speak with league official Joel Bussert.

"The deal was not consummated," general manager Ozzie Newsome said at Baltimore's headquarters. "A deal is not a deal until I talk to Joel Bussert, and I never talked to Joel Bussert."

So what the f*** is the difference here, asshole? Go f*** yourself.

WTF?? Everything I read said the Ravens called the office, but the Bears didn't. Why is it so hard for the true story to come out?

If Newsome is adamant that no deal was consummated because he didn't t call Bussert, then hell no I don't give 'em that 4th rounder. Very interesting. But clearly, the Bears' front office once again proves how moronic they are. Luckily, it appears that they made the first pick in round one.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
WTF?? Everything I read said the Ravens called the office, but the Bears didn't. Why is it so hard for the true story to come out?

If Newsome is adamant that no deal was consummated because he didn't t call Bussert, then hell no I don't give 'em that 4th rounder. Very interesting. But clearly, the Bears' front office once again proves how moronic they are. Luckily, it appears that they made the first pick in round one.

No no no, that's a quote from Newsome from 2002 or 2003 when they did the same thing to Minnesota.

That quote is from 2003 when the Ravens agreed to a trade with the Vikings but never called in.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
No no no, that's a quote from Newsome from 2002 or 2003 when they did the same thing to Minnesota.

That.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
That quote is from 2003 when the Ravens agreed to a trade with the Vikings but never called in.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
That.

TY. Nevermind then, Bears probably owe the Ravens the pick here in good faith.