The Pet Thread

iamshack

I have to take my husky in on Saturday to be put to sleep. They found a large tumor in his abdomen and said that's it's inoperable. He won't eat anything so he would starve to death otherwise.

He's 13 so he's pretty old. He's slowed down a lot in the past couple years.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
I have to take my husky in on Saturday to be put to sleep. They found a large tumor in his abdomen and said that's it's inoperable. He won't eat anything so he would starve to death otherwise.

Wow, that sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:01 PM)
My wife wants to get a 3 month old female runt. Some kind of terrier mix, all black.

It looks like I'll be getting a purebred yellow lab this week. 8 months old, already 80 pounds.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
It looks like I'll be getting a purebred yellow lab this week. 8 months old, already 80 pounds.

Is this going to be "your" dog or are your parents getting it? It seems like odd timing for someone who may/may not be getting ready to travel across the country in search of a broadcasting job in a profession that would cause you to be away from home an awful lot?

If it's going to just be your parents' dog, then ignore this post, but if you are looking to get a pooch, you might want to wait until you have your feet under you a bit more. Dogs of any size are a lot of work and yellow labs need a lot of space that someone at your career level might not be able to provide.

Food for thought!

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)

That sucks, dude. Remember you gave him a good (and pretty long) life.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Puppy getting spayed tomorrow. Ugh, don't want her to have to be in pain, feel terrible but know it's for the best.

What should I know about post surgery when we get her back home? Any tips or recs?

It really is a procedure that they have down to a science now. Make sure the dog doesn't mess with her stitches and you will be all good.

Ax4O4KICQAAElk_.jpg

This is my new pup. He's 8 weeks old. We know that his mom was a purebred golden retriever. Do you guys have any idea what kid of mixture he is? His tail is about a foot long, skinny and black with a white tip.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
Ax4O4KICQAAElk_.jpg

This is my new pup. He's 8 weeks old. We know that his mom was a purebred golden retriever. Do you guys have any idea what kid of mixture he is? His tail is about a foot long, skinny and black with a white tip.

Awwww!

Could be a chow mix of some kind, but honestly, it's pretty tough to tell.

Great-looking pup though!

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:57 PM)
Color looks like German Shepherd to me.

We've all but eliminated German Shepherd because the ears never stand up and their snouts are usually black/dark, and his isn't. Then again, if it's a German Shephed and something else mix, it could be a possibility.

We think there might be some border collie mix in there too. So maybe a Golden Retriever mother and a Border Collie/German Shepherd father?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
We've all but eliminated German Shepherd because the ears never stand up and their snouts are usually black/dark, and his isn't. Then again, if it's a German Shephed and something else mix, it could be a possibility.

We think there might be some border collie mix in there too. So maybe a Golden Retriever mother and a Border Collie/German Shepherd father?

German Shepherd puppies - especially mixes - sometimes have ears that don't stand up.

Bernese Mountain Dogs look a little like that too.