2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Fixed. The consistent winners in the NFL draft the best player available and not based on need. We have holes everywhere, some more glaring than others, but just gimme the best player who slips to our pick.

The Bears really need to go into the draft at the very least with their #1 WR, #2 DE, and backup tackle positions filled in free agency. If they don't do that, then they're almost forced to try to fill those needs.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
I'd like to sign re-sign Jennings..what are expectations of Finnegan and Landry? Can't imagine the Skins letting Landry go...

There's some talk of franchising Landry, but he's finished the last 2 seasons hurt and the Redskins might not want to risk that.

Edit: Oh, and tagging a player would really hurt them if they were shooting for Peyton.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
The Bears really need to go into the draft at the very least with their #1 WR, #2 DE, and backup tackle positions filled in free agency. If they don't do that, then they're almost forced to try to fill those needs.

I hope that the BPA is a need because it then it kills two birds with one stone, but when the Bears have drafted for need, they tend to reach. When they reach, the players tends to busts.

I am confident that the Bears will sign a top-flight WR in free agency and add a veteran or two along the line. The rest will have to come via the draft.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
So is Bowe. Drops too many passes and takes plays off. Also doesn't like going over the middle. He's a great talent, but he can also be frustrating.

Yeah but with Bowe at least you get the big plays and touchdowns fairly regularly, whereas with Manningham, he's just not on that same level. Additionally, I'd love to see Bowe with a better qb...I can see why he would take some plays off over the last few years...

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
You cant be the Redskins about it but to ignore free agency is also ridiculous.... where would we be without Peppers?

There ought to be 1 real worry for the Bears here, and it's that the position that they have the biggest FA need at is the position where you're also the most likely to wind up with a prima donna who quits on downs, WR, and a couple of the guys at the top of the list fit that description to a T.

So yeah, it's a gamble playing that market. But the other side is...the Bears have a ton of money to spend here and they have needs at these spots if they want to compete right now. It'd be really hard for them to make themselves worse by playing the FA market hard this year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Lovie doesn't have the time to wait for drafted players to become impact players.

I never understood why people think rookies need 5 years to become impact players.

Victor Cruz wasn't even drafted and caught 82 passes his second year.

Clay Matthews had 10 sacks in his first. Aldon Smith had 14.

I could go on and on with rookies playing well.

I just look at all the teams that have won the Super Bowl the past 5 years and all those teams drafted well and signed a free agent here and there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Really with the age of the key defensive players, the entire franchises window is closing.

With the way football works with teams popping up every year out of nowhere, I am not a big believer in windows slamming shut. Teams rebuild on the fly every season, sometimes it works, sometimes it falls flat. Lovie is in SMA mode right now, so hopefully he doesnt go out looking for guys that can help win NOW as much he gets guys that can help win now and for the foreseeable future, and also lets hope that Emery can fill the gaps in the draft.

It sucks that this year is a lame duck year for Lovie. Players and Agents are aware of situations like that, and sometimes they will stay away in order to find something stable.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
I never understood why people think rookies need 5 years to become impact players.

I just look at all the teams that have won the Super Bowl the past 5 years and all those teams drafted well and signed a free agent here and there.

At the same time, the Bears dont have enough draft picks to fill every need. IMO Bears need to get at least to the second round of the playoffs for Lovie to save his job, and hoping a rookie can provide what Smith, Cruz and Matthews provided isnt always the best way to win

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)

It's really interesting to look at your list there and note that 2 of the guys you highlighted were top 10 picks and pass rushers.

Some positions simply need more time, and some picks simply need more time. The lower you pick, the less likely it is you're going to find a guy who will step in and dominate a position in his first year, and the less playing time you have available for a guy, the less likely he is to develop.

Most players shouldn't need 5 years to develop, but 2-3 years for most positions is not unreasonable, and it's really hard to count on guys developing immediately if you're trying to win now and fill a need.

Worse, there are some positions that are just particularly troublesome. WR is one of those; typically you see a lot of growth in the 2nd and 3rd seasons for those guys, and it also really helps to have a solid QB.

Heard Hub Arkush talking about Carl Nicks from the Saints last night. With all the big money contracts the Saints have, they probably can't afford him. He's only turning 27, and has been an All-Pro the last two years. He's the only real good OL out there. If the Saints don't keep him, throw a Peppers-type contract at him, and you have a guard spot shore up for the next 7 years or so. Then let Chris/Edwin Williams or Spencer fight for the other spot.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
Heard Hub Arkush talking about Carl Nicks from the Saints last night. With all the big money contracts the Saints have, they probably can't afford him. He's only turning 27, and has been an All-Pro the last two years. He's the only real good OL out there. If the Saints don't keep him, throw a Peppers-type contract at him, and you have a guard spot shore up for the next 7 years or so. Then let Chris/Edwin Williams or Spencer fight for the other spot.

I dunno, If the Bears spend money on the O-Line, I'd still much rather have them look at the tackle spot. They definitely need a backup tackle to get Omiyale out of Jay Cutler's nightmares at the very least...if they're looking for a starter, the guy they'd have to look at replacing would be Webb.

The 49ers are also interested in Carl Nicks.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
I just think you have to build with the draft. I think the load up with free agents and try and win one year stuff never works.
If the Bears were to make a super bowl run next year, most people would still look at their roster and say it was largely built through the draft. Urlacher, Forte, Briggs, Tillman, hopefully Williams and Carimi, Conte, and frankly, Cutler (who was obtained via 2 first round picks).

Built through the draft doesn't mean you can't find players through Free Agency. No one gives New England any less credit for Welker because he was a free agent, or the Giants last time when they signed Plax as a free agent and won a super bowl with him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
I just think you have to build with the draft. I think the load up with free agents and try and win one year stuff never works.

Absolutely.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with filling specific or overwhelming needs through FA.

The Bears have been very good at managing the cap over the course of the last five years or so. If there is one area where I trust them, this is it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
I dunno, If the Bears spend money on the O-Line, I'd still much rather have them look at the tackle spot. They definitely need a backup tackle to get Omiyale out of Jay Cutler's nightmares at the very least...if they're looking for a starter, the guy they'd have to look at replacing would be Webb.

Understood, but there really aren't any FA tackles available out there,, and there usually aren't. It's rare a player like Nicks is ever on the market, and it's not like the guard play was that good. Then take a tackle with your 1st or 2nd round pick.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
Understood, but there really aren't any FA tackles available out there,, and there usually aren't. It's rare a player like Nicks is ever on the market, and it's not like the guard play was that good. Then take a tackle with your 1st or 2nd round pick.

I know everyone's going to disagree with me, but drafting 3 tackles with 3 straight first round picks, then spending big money on a guard, that's just overkill on one position. Yes, it's an important position the Bears have trouble with, but just take a look at those numbers.

If the Bears put the kind of resources into the O-line they have the last 2 years, and don't get a solid improvement this year, then either everyone got hurt again or there's something more fundamentally wrong with the scheme and setup. (They still need at least 1 tackle to replace Omiyale from somewhere).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
I know everyone's going to disagree with me, but drafting 3 tackles with 3 straight first round picks, then spending big money on a guard, that's just overkill on one position. Yes, it's an important position the Bears have trouble with, but just take a look at those numbers.

Sadly, the Bears keep missing on OL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
I'd say they keep having OL get hurt. Does that count as missing?

Both Williams and Carimi had injury concerns when they were drafted so those are big misses in that regard although I think Carimi will be good.

Sounds like Bates will push for a New England type short passing game.

I think Lovie retires after next year. Tice takes the HC job and Bates gets the OC job after a nice 10-6 season.