2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife has a tradition of taking our kids out to a movie and lunch on their birthday. My youngest turns 3 on Monday. My wife is debating between Wreck-It Ralph or Rise of the Guardians. Both are available at a theater n Bloomingdale. Thoughts???

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
My wife has a tradition of taking our kids out to a movie and lunch on their birthday. My youngest turns 3 on Monday. My wife is debating between Wreck-It Ralph or Rise of the Guardians. Both are available at a theater n Bloomingdale. Thoughts???

Wreck it Ralph is fantastic.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
What have you been watching lately Caulfield? Tell me all the noteworthy films from the past few months... along with whatever you plan on viewing in the near future...

Norwegian Wood, Japanese film, it's a similar "depression" story to Silver Linings Playbook or Girl, Interrupted, but very dark/somber and yet beautifully filmed at the same time....story of love and loss, based on one of my favorite writers in the world, Murakami (Wind Up Bird Chronicle). One of the stars is the Japanese actress who was so good in Babel and got an Academy Award nomination for her smaller role.

Identity Thief wasn't bad

Oz: The Great and Powerful

Will definitely see Spring Breakers

Mama

The Interrupters

The Invisible War

The Gatekeepers

I actually liked The Last Stand with Arnie more than I imagined I would....have held out against any desire to see the new Die Hard

Here in China, Lost in Thailand and The Journey West (Stephen Chow)....the two biggest money makers in Chinese history, following 2/3 behind Avatar's box office.

Undefeated (not to be confused with the Sarah Palin one)

I've watched the Ayn Rand movies just to laugh at how atrocious they were, Atlas Shrugged and its sequel

Cloud Atlas (tried to read the book but couldn't get into it)

Am reading Robopocalypse (Wilson) and really enjoying it....mothballed Stephen Spielberg film project project

Upside Down (Jim Sturgess and Kirsten Dunst), some of the reviews have been quite critical of the central plot element, but I really liked it.....kind of reminded me of Adjustment Bureau, albeit lacking the ability of Matt Damon as Sturgess is something of a bland actor IMO

Really want to read Dark Holes (Kip S. Thorne)....by the Cal Tech physics professor whose work has been loosely translated into the plot for INTERSTELLAR, the next Christopher Nolan project

Another great book is Shantaram, albeit 932 pages long. But worth it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
I've gotten a glimpse at those girls in their "costumes" and I like it.

Eh, all of them still look like high schoolers to me. I think the big draw, at least for the male fans is just to see those girls in small outfits throughout the whole movie. It looks pretty dumb though. Looks like a movie that will be on FX within 6 months.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
Isn't this the one that's essentially Pineapple Express Part II?

It may be, but it looks funny. McBride stole the trailer which I originally saw last year when he was ripping on everyone. Can't wait for that to come out. I'm also very interested in The Great Gatsby.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
Has anyone seen Equilibrium, the Christian Bale movie from about a decade ago?

Quality flick, I guess it came out the exact same weekend as another famous movie and got buried but lives on via internet and DVD's.

Loved it.

Great fight scene at the end in the dark where its only lit with gunfire.

On the platform front, A24's Spring Breakers was off to a terrific start with an estimated $270,000 from just 3 locations in New York and Los Angeles. That gave the much buzzed about film starring James Franco, Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens a massive per-location average of $90,000. Spring Breakers will hope to springboard off of its strong platform launch when it expands into moderate nationwide release this coming Friday. boxoffice.com

I think you're referring to the scene earlier in the movie....as opposed to the one at Equilibrium HQ at the end?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
On the platform front, A24's Spring Breakers was off to a terrific start with an estimated $270,000 from just 3 locations in New York and Los Angeles. That gave the much buzzed about film starring James Franco, Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens a massive per-location average of $90,000. Spring Breakers will hope to springboard off of its strong platform launch when it expands into moderate nationwide release this coming Friday. boxoffice.com

I think you're referring to the scene earlier in the movie....as opposed to the one at Equilibrium HQ at the end?

Maybe. It's been awhile since I've seen it. Maybe confused.

The only way I see Spring Breakers is thru RedBox. The only reason it has any buzz is because of the girls. The guy is a garbage director thus far.

Watched 21 Jump Street last night. Pretty funny. Really dug the cameo by the original duo. The one guy pulled off his disguise and I thought, "Oh wait a minute, that's Johnny Depp."

That means I saw three movies in the past week (Chasing Amy, Mississippi Burning and 21 Jump Street) for the first time. That's a lot for me.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 06:28 PM)
Watched 21 Jump Street last night. Pretty funny. Really dug the cameo by the original duo. The one guy pulled off his disguise and I thought, "Oh wait a minute, that's Johnny Depp."

That means I saw three movies in the past week (Chasing Amy, Mississippi Burning and 21 Jump Street) for the first time. That's a lot for me.

Holly Robinson was the cop that gave them their car

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)

Mississippi Burning was an excellent movie. Hackman was great (just saw him again on HBO Asia in "Enemy of the State," which I saw when it first came out).

I wish Willem Defoe kept evolving as an actor, but it seems he went downhill from that point.

Speaking of Johnny Depp, he also has a weird cameo in Jack and Jill. All I can say is that it's the worst movie I've ever tried to watch, and not funny even once. I felt extremely sorry for Al Pacino and Katie Holmes, not so much for Nick Swardson, who's quickly becoming almost as annoying as Ken Jeong.

You know your movie's in trouble when Al Pacino playing a neurotic parody of himself is the funniest thing about it, by far.

My take on 21 Jump Street was that it was pretty funny but a terrible movie. Reminds me of The Brothers Solomon, where I did quite a bit of laughing but couldn't help but walking away feeling like what I saw was total crap. See Anchorman for a reference as to what a good movie that is also really funny is like. I'll get some pushback here but I thought the original Hangover was pretty damn good too.

I also thought Gran Torino was absolutely hilarious, but I might be alone on that one.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
My take on 21 Jump Street was that it was pretty funny but a terrible movie. Reminds me of The Brothers Solomon, where I did quite a bit of laughing but couldn't help but walking away feeling like what I saw was total crap. See Anchorman for a reference as to what a good movie that is also really funny is like. I'll get some pushback here but I thought the original Hangover was pretty damn good too.

I also thought Gran Torino was absolutely hilarious, but I might be alone on that one.

It definitely had its funny moments, especially with the Sue character and Walt...as well as with Walt and the Catholic priest (or the scene with Vanilla Ice walking along and then the 3 black kids trying to get in Sue's face), but they had to be in there because it was such a serious drama and difficult story that no humor would make it almost overwhelming.

The whole storyline with Toad and Yum Yum was pretty funny, too.

And the best...Toad/Tao walking into the barbership and showing how he'd "manned up" or talking to the contractor Mr. Kennedy about getting screwed over by the mechanic on the bill.