Healthy Eating Thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made some delicious stuffed baked potatoes last night.

• 2 russet taters
  • quick olive oil spray on each
  • roll in kosher salt
  • bake 60 minutes at 250
  • remove
  • top with broccoli, chopped tempeh, cheese
  • return to oven for 5-10
  • serve, top with greek yogurt, pepper, left-over broccoli on the side

It was rather delicious - the skin of the potatoes was so delicious after cooking in the oil and salt, obviously. Ultra filling, too.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
Do you Oatsters use a Mason Jar, sealed Tupperware, or just cover a cereal bowl with foil or saran wrap? Does it matter? Thanks

Just put it all in your refrigerator without any kind of container and mix it...it shouldn't' fall through the grates. ;)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
Id be really happy with a Hannah's Bretzel. I wish theyd put it where the Halsted Deli was.

Right now my main locations are Chipotle, I Dream of Falafel and Epic Burger. I used to go to Venice a ton, but burned out on it. Maybe Ill get a calzone next week.

So that is actually happening. Sign up today for Hannah's Bretzel. I should probably work in real estate.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some dinner ideas for poor folk. Healthy meals for 3 for as cheap as possible... I've convinced mi madre to shift from the pasta, rice, and processed heavy meals and she wants me to put together a 2 week menu. I told her just get a s*** ton of chicken and make it different ways she wants a more specific game plan.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)
I need some dinner ideas for poor folk. Healthy meals for 3 for as cheap as possible... I've convinced mi madre to shift from the pasta, rice, and processed heavy meals and she wants me to put together a 2 week menu. I told her just get a s*** ton of chicken and make it different ways she wants a more specific game plan.

Chicken breast, brown rice, greens (broccoli, asparagus). If you're really on the cheap side, buy a s*** ton of canned Tuna and substitute for chicken. Tuna in water is your best bet.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)

You will need:

yellow_onion-228x249.jpg 137668f8f480c617817638810a0c49b5.jpg

3940001880_big.png 3940001880_big.png 0007423492512_180X180.jpg

Cook the green pepper & onion in some olive oil until they are soft. Add the 2 cans of beans and the can of salsa. Do not drain the beans. When it's hot, it's ready to eat.

Put it over some brown rice or quinoa. If you have some meat cook it and throw it in, I often use leftover chicken.

This is awesome, especially considering how easy it is.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 05:48 AM)
You will need:

yellow_onion-228x249.jpg 137668f8f480c617817638810a0c49b5.jpg

3940001880_big.png 3940001880_big.png 0007423492512_180X180.jpg

Cook the green pepper & onion in some olive oil until they are soft. Add the 2 cans of beans and the can of salsa. Do not drain the beans. When it's hot, it's ready to eat.

Put it over some brown rice or quinoa. If you have some meat cook it and throw it in, I often use leftover chicken.

This is awesome, especially considering how easy it is.

My only .02 to make it healthier would be try cooking the peppers and onion in water instead of oil.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
A little bit of oil won't hurt, plus you get better color and flavor cooking with oil.

Well like I said, it's for me. I personally try to have the least amount of oil in my diet as possible.

If you're worried about flavor though, what I try to do is cook them in some fresh homemade vegetable broth (but that of course involves a whole different step of freezing veggies making the broth haha)

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Well like I said, it's for me. I personally try to have the least amount of oil in my diet as possible.

If you're worried about flavor though, what I try to do is cool them in some fresh homemade vegetable broth (but that of course involves a whole different step of freexing veggies making the broth haha)

That's not so bad though, broth is relatively easy to make. Hell, if you are making your own out of base, you can just throw a little of that into your mixture and then add just a couple splashes of water to it if necessary.

Since both my Lady and I don't eat meat, we tend to make A LOT of vegetable based dishes. We just take the ends of s*** we are chopping put it in a big tupperware container in the freezer and in about a weeks time we cook up some delicious broth for soups etc.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)

If you're worried about flavor though, what I try to do is cook them in some fresh homemade vegetable broth (but that of course involves a whole different step of freezing veggies making the broth haha)

Any reason for keeping olive oil out of your diet? Its fairly healthy for you to have some oil.