2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
Good to see Danks back.

Is he going to start pitching in live games right away or will the Sox wait till later in spring training?

Supposedly it's minor leaguers and bullpen guys until March 1st.

Then--

3-1 Sale

3-2 Quintana

3-3 Peavy

3-4 Danks

3-5 Floyd

Meghan Montemurro ‏@M_Montemurro

Cooper on Danks: "If you lined up 10 pitchers on the mounds out there & said pick out the guy who had surgery, you couldn't have did it."

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Cooper: Longer spring will benefit Danks. Most pleased with Danks' changeup.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Don Cooper described it as a "really good day 4 John (Danks)." Tyler Flowers impressed by curveball, change & cutter. Said velo down a bit.

Flowers, who caught Danks, said the lefty's curve was better than he's ever seen. Changeup good. Velocity down a little, which was expected

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 08:20 PM)
Meghan Montemurro ‏@M_Montemurro

Cooper on Danks: "If you lined up 10 pitchers on the mounds out there & said pick out the guy who had surgery, you couldn't have did it."

Cooper: Longer spring will benefit Danks. Most pleased with Danks' changeup.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Don Cooper described it as a "really good day 4 John (Danks)." Tyler Flowers impressed by curveball, change & cutter. Said velo down a bit.

Flowers, who caught Danks, said the lefty's curve was better than he's ever seen. Changeup good. Velocity down a little, which was expected

Everything is so positive in ST and let's hope the performances stay that way after ST

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
I can't wait until a pitcher who is working on locating his fastball early in Spring Training gives up 7 hits in a row and the Sox give up 17 runs and people on here start freaking out about Spring f***ing Training

Spring Training Results ALWAYS MATTER and is 100% indicative of what will happen during the Regular Season for each individual player, without question.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 06:02 PM)
I can't wait until a pitcher who is working on locating his fastball early in Spring Training gives up 7 hits in a row and the Sox give up 17 runs and people on here start freaking out about Spring f***ing Training

I'm pretty sure that's what The Rite of Spring was written about

Haha, when the Sox are 3 games below .500 in Spring, someone is going to say "You know, I know these games mean nothing, but it would be nice for them to play well so they can get hot leading into the season." Because, as mentioned, getting hot at the end of Spring Training 100% of the time leads to starting out the season really well too.

Willie Mays Hayes is going to start hitting for power this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
I remember an answer about them adding a timing mechanism for him in the form of a shot leg kick, that's about all I remember hearing about him.

Sounds good to me if they've added something to help him become even better than he was last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
7m Daryl Van Schouwen Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

thornton about 15 pounds lighter, big focus on eating right. didnt bounce back from outings last year w same life. things you do at age 36.

Maybe he will rebound sort of like Dunn did last year with a better eating and fitness regimen. It is always good to hear these reports. Pitching is the name of the game and we need the best out of a talented group

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
7m Daryl Van Schouwen Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

thornton about 15 pounds lighter, big focus on eating right. didnt bounce back from outings last year w same life. things you do at age 36.

Hopefully eating better and losing weight will help him remember he has a pitch other than the fastball.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Hopefully eating better and losing weight will help him remember he has a pitch other than the fastball.

Thornton had his worst year since 2007. It was also the most he's ever used his slider with the White Sox. The year he used his slider the 2nd most was 2007.

I'm hoping eating right helped him forget he has the slider.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Thornton had his worst year since 2007. It was also the most he's ever used his slider with the White Sox. The year he used his slider the 2nd most was 2007.

I'm hoping eating right helped him forget he has the slider.

Yup, it's all about Thornton hitting his spots with the fastball, when his control is off that's when he gets hammered.

Even with that lack of prior professional experience, Ventura acknowledged Thursday that Morel will get some innings at a defensive spot other than third during Spring Training.

"I know he can play third base. That's not the issue," Ventura said. "It's giving him a little more versatility, maybe stick him at second base. It's always good to have."

"I'm always open," Morel said. "I want to be the third baseman, but if that doesn't happen, I want to help anyway possible."

Could be horrible or great. Can't tell. Morel seems like a "third base only" kind of guy (but he's great at it)

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Could be horrible or great. Can't tell. Morel seems like a "third base only" kind of guy (but he's great at it)

I think he'll be able to handle other positions just fine, and he atleast offers upside with the bat.