8/14/2013 White Sox vs. Tigers

kageman129

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
Here's a good example. There's the current Cuban sensation out there available for a lot of money. Sox COULD get him if they want him likely.

This is tangible. He's right there. Ready to play. Rather than worry about the crapshoot called the draft, why not talk NIGHT AND DAY about signing this guy? He arguably could help turn the team around next year.

There are other ways to win besides the draft where your pick might flop. I'd rather win as many games as possible to enjoy the summer and do other things to win. Besides we still get a first round draft pick every year.

Every player may flop, theres a chance. However you are increasing your odds of the best talent the more you lose after you are eliminated. I'm sorry watching an occasional Sox win is the thing that makes you happy, but its better for us as fans if they lose this season.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
A lot of Soxtalk actually wanted the SOX to take Trout instead of Mitchell with that pick.

Also... There's a big difference between the 3rd pick and 21st pick. These also a big difference between the third pick and the first pick.

I never saw a single person complain when he went. Literally the only comment on the trout pick in the draft thread was "well the Angels sure like outfielders, don't they"?

There were no "Nuts, darn, drat, I wanted him!" posts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
I never saw a single person complain when he went. Literally the only comment on the trout pick in the draft thread was "well the Angels sure like outfielders, don't they"?

Look at how many other teams passed on him, guy was a good bit of scouting by LAA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)

A lot of us actually didn't want the Sox to take him due to the comparisons he was getting at the time to Rowand.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
A lot of us actually didn't want the Sox to take him due to the comparisons he was getting at the time to Rowand.

There were 3 all stars drafted in that first round, two of them were picked before Trout. Guy kind of exploded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
Somehow I sincerely doubt the Angels ever had a clue that he'd be this good.

I believe I read where the Yankees LOVED him but he didn't fall to them like they had hoped. There were also rumors about Trout having huge signing bonus demands.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:04 PM)
Well, I guess the Tigers would know his weaknesses

That's what I was thinking.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:04 PM)
Every player may flop, theres a chance. However you are increasing your odds of the best talent the more you lose after you are eliminated. I'm sorry watching an occasional Sox win is the thing that makes you happy, but its better for us as fans if they lose this season.

As a fan, I can't write off seasons. I can't write off any game. Going .500 would mean ALOT more happy summer days for me. It's not an occasional win. Now, after the season? I'm not thrilled with .500, but like I said, I'd rather go .500 than get the No. 1 pick in the draft. That would probably mean my team sniffed the playoffs at least and I had an interesting summer following baseball. Who cares about the draft? It's an inexact science. They aren't going to suddenly say we can't have a first-round pick. Give me a first-round pick and I'm good with that.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Did we ever demand to know why we didn't take Trout?

We may never know. I'm sure there were a few amongst the scouts /braintrust who probably liked Trout more but if you're not high enough in the pecking order in the braintrust then it doesn't matter. Hopefully they keep track of those who support what turns out to be the right choices for promotions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)
As a fan, I can't write off seasons. I can't write off any game. Going .500 would mean ALOT more happy summer days for me. It's not an occasional win. Now, after the season? I'm not thrilled with .500, but like I said, I'd rather go .500 than get the No. 1 pick in the draft. That would probably mean my team sniffed the playoffs at least and I had an interesting summer following baseball. Who cares about the draft? It's an inexact science. They aren't going to suddenly say we can't have a first-round pick. Give me a first-round pick and I'm good with that.

The Sox are 26 games under .500!

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
I believe I read where the Yankees LOVED him but he didn't fall to them like they had hoped. There were also rumors about Trout having huge signing bonus demands.

One Angel scout was salivating over Trout . Saw him as a once in a generation talent and put his reputation on the line in voicing that opinion.