Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Thought I read he wanted to stay in state because of family. That's why I think he sticks. Could be wrong.

There's other schools in state or near Chicago he could transfer to.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Turn on the TV?

And if she's that sick is she really going to travel 100+ miles 3-4 days a week?

Btw, having to sit out a year is stupid to begin with. Coaches can leave a school and coach the next year, why can't players?

Disagree, it'd be like free agency in college basketball and everyone having one year contracts. Coaches leaving doesn't have nearly the effect year to year that a super start player jumping to another team would.

Coaches have jobs like anyone else, the should be able to leave.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Turn on the TV?

And if she's that sick is she really going to travel 100+ miles 3-4 days a week?

Btw, having to sit out a year is stupid to begin with. Coaches can leave a school and coach the next year, why can't players?

You could fix that problem by forcing coaches to live up to their contracts, or at least a percentage of them.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 07:30 AM)
Aaron Craft just lost all his value.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if they call the rules as strictly for known "good defenders" like Craft.

Some guys get away with more than others, or they did under the old rules. Craft and Kramer from Purdue a few years back were just guys that seemed to get away with murder.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 07:40 AM)
Anything about elimination of undercutting guys and taking charges?

"Another rule that should clearly benefit the offense and is likely to increase scoring is the block-charge call, which now states that a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has begun his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or a pass. Previously, the player had to be in legal guarding position when the offensive player lifted off the floor.

"There will be no more flopping," Calipari said.

Adams said that the referees get more than 90 percent of all calls correct, but that number was at about 65 percent last season with regard to block-charge calls.

"It's a tough play and it happens incredibly quickly," Adams said. "A big reason for the change was aimed to help the officials get the call right."

Not only will it give the referees a little more time, but it should also favor the offensive player."

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
"Another rule that should clearly benefit the offense and is likely to increase scoring is the block-charge call, which now states that a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has begun his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or a pass. Previously, the player had to be in legal guarding position when the offensive player lifted off the floor.

"There will be no more flopping," Calipari said.

Adams said that the referees get more than 90 percent of all calls correct, but that number was at about 65 percent last season with regard to block-charge calls.

"It's a tough play and it happens incredibly quickly," Adams said. "A big reason for the change was aimed to help the officials get the call right."

Not only will it give the referees a little more time, but it should also favor the offensive player."

Thank. God.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 07:36 AM)
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if they call the rules as strictly for known "good defenders" like Craft.

Some guys get away with more than others, or they did under the old rules. Craft and Kramer from Purdue a few years back were just guys that seemed to get away with murder.

Craft moves his feet better than any defender in college bball. He'll always be a plus defender.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Craft moves his feet better than any defender in college bball. He'll always be a plus defender.

From memory he doesn't really use his hands that much, he's one of those guys that uses his chest/mid section to body up on guys. So he'll still be a very good defender.

That said, I still think Craft is overrated because of the "white guy gym rat" mentality.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
From memory he doesn't really use his hands that much, he's one of those guys that uses his chest/mid section to body up on guys. So he'll still be a very good defender.

That said, I still think Craft is overrated because of the "white guy gym rat" mentality.

Maybe so, but it's more than his performance on the court, the guy is the type of player coaches love because he makes other players work harder. First guy in, last guy out, sometimes sleeps at the practice facility. He's really going to be missed when he leaves.

If you look at the performance of other team's players that he guards it's clear his value is spot on as a defender. Offensively, it's still debatable.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 06:27 AM)
New changes on defense... Seems like Purdue and Wisconsin are going to have to change their whole gameplan. :D

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...-2013-14-season

Wisconsin doesnt play this type of defense, so not sure why it would impact them. If you are going to complain about Badger style at least appropriately argue that they foul with their lower body and get away with a lot of non-hand contact.

This will tremendously help Wisconsin actually. They usually struggle against teams that are really handsy on guards.

Maybe with some better scouting Indiana can actually beat Wisconsin this year?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Wisconsin doesnt play this type of defense, so not sure why it would impact them. If you are going to complain about Badger style at least appropriately argue that they foul with their lower body and get away with a lot of non-hand contact.

This will tremendously help Wisconsin actually. They usually struggle against teams that are really handsy on guards.

ahhhhhh, snap!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)

I knew you'd come in, guns blazing.

We'll see, the rest of the conference has a different view of Wisconsin and Purdue's defense.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
I knew you'd come in, guns blazing.

We'll see, the rest of the conference has a different view of Wisconsin and Purdue's defense.

If you think Purdue and Wisconsin play a similar defense you clearly just have not watched college basketball.

Im pretty sure in the last 10 years of Wisconsin basketball I can count the amount of times Wisconsin has used ball pressure on a guard coming up the court on 1 hand. They dont even use press. You seriously are misinformed.

You trolled me, I knew that from the start when you mentioned Wisconsin instead of MSU. I just used it as an opportunity to remind everyone that regardless of how much you may whine or cry about Wisconsin, Indiana still hasnt beat them in the last 11 tries.

Alleged blue blood program that has fans who troll because they cant win. Just makes my day.

Edited by Soxbadger

No ones denying Wisconsin owns IU under Bo.

I wasn't trying trying to "troll" you. Most of the conference perceive purdue and Wisconsin under the same light. I understand no wisconsin fan wants to see that, but that perception is definitely out there. Scan opposing teams' forums if you don't believe it.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
I wasn't trying trying to "troll" you. Most of the conference perceive purdue and Wisconsin under the same light. I understand no wisconsin fan wants to see that, but that perception is definitely out there. Scan opposing teams' forums if you don't believe it.

I dont care what fans on random internet websites say. I dont lie about my teams. Wisconsin is a physical team, they use their body as much or more than any team in the NCAA.

They do not hand check excessively. They do not put their forearm on players excessively. That type of defense goes against everything that Bo Ryan teaches, which is based on feet position and staying in front of the player with hands high.

Facts mean more than perception.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketbal...-fouls-per-game

Wisconsin 14 fouls per game 5th lowest in nation. Previous year 14.

Purdue 17.8 fouls per game 195. Previous year 17.7

MSU (who you dont mention, which is absurd) 16.2 per game 60th. Previous year 17.5

So unless you are arguing that there is some sort of NCAA conspiracy to not call fouls on Wisconsin, while calling them on Purdue and MSU, its just not true.

But whatever, the people who believe these things just arent watching Big10 basketball. Which is really the point of my post. You can tell the people who watch basketball versus the ones who just parrot perception by statements like that. I gave you credit for trolling and knowing the facts, guess I was wrong.