Cutting The Cable Cord

hogan873

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
And ultimately much more expensive.

This is exactly it. You save 100-200$ a month by cutting the cord (minus fees for Netflix, Hulu, or whatever else you use to cover your bases), and then end up spending way more than that to go out and watch a few games a month elsewhere. I can't speak for anyone else here, but when a buddy invites me over to watch a game, I don't come empty handed...and if you go out to a sports bar to watch it, forget it...you could blow through 100$ for two people watching a 2-4 hour game on food/drinks easily.

ESPN3 is pretty good. You get pretty much everything so for me it isn't ESPN, rather it is my access to other sports.

You can't get ESPN3 unless you have an existing cable/satellite service that carries ESPN (or unless you are bumming someone else's login).

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
$100 is way overboard, maybe $20 or so on average. 4 or 5 bud lights aren't going to break the bank.

For two people?!

I can't go to a bar/pub by myself and spend less than 20$, and that's what I spend before I'm about to play an actual league hockey game. Going out to watch a game?! That's like 2-4 hours depending on the sport...and 4-5 bud lights isn't all I'd be drinking, not to mention eating...plus tip.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
For two people?!

I can't go to a bar/pub by myself and spend less than 20$, and that's what I spend before I'm about to play an actual league hockey game. Going out to watch a game?! That's like 2-4 hours depending on the sport...and 4-5 bud lights isn't all I'd be drinking, not to mention eating...plus tip.

We might be comparing "City" and "non-city" prices here.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
For two people?!

Must be location. I live in a town of around 1000 people and I can go to the bar and have 5 craft beers with a burger and fries for around $20 including tip. Since it's such a small town, everybody knows everybody and if you're a regular typically every 3rd or 4th beer is on the house.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
For two people?!

$100 might be a little much, but my wife and I were spending $50-60 bucks easy to watch all of the 2010 Bulls playoff games. That was one factor in getting cable again.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Must be location. I live in a town of around 1000 people and I can go to the bar and have 5 craft beers with a burger and fries for around $20 including tip. Since it's such a small town, everybody knows everybody and if you're a regular typically every 3rd or 4th beer is on the house.

Yeah, those are Dickeyville prices! :)

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
I am a sportsfan and I could easily do without ESPN, college football is the only thing I watch and CBS and ABC are getting most of the marquee games there.

Yeah, same here. NBC Sports Network, CSN, WGN, NBC, FOX, CBS, MLB Network are all I need for sports. I hardly ever watch ESPN anymore.

And IIRC, and HDTV antenna is not a thing anymore. They stop transmitting over-the-air tv signals last summer I think. I used to do that in my room at home, where I had like 60-70 digital channels, a handful of them in HD, just using over-the-air, but then at some point they decided not to do that anymore. Unless something has changed.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
And IIRC, and HDTV antenna is not a thing anymore. They stop transmitting over-the-air tv signals last summer I think. I used to do that in my room at home, where I had like 60-70 digital channels, a handful of them in HD, just using over-the-air, but then at some point they decided not to do that anymore. Unless something has changed.

Nah that's not true. They required all over the air signals to be sent out in HD (even if not in HD format) a few years ago, so people with old tube tv's needed a digital tuner box, but you can still get over the air stuff.

For two people?!

Well I'm not really looking to get trashed. A few beers, watch the game, go home. Eat before you go too so you're not hungry.

I don't know, it wasn't so bad. I'd rather pay $10 to get out of the house than $5 to stay in it.

If I lived alone, I wouldn't have cable. I'd miss live sports, but ultimately it would probably be better. I'd like to think I'd be more productive instead of getting suckered into sports every night when I sit down to eat dinner.

But my roommate is a couch potato and would never agree to getting rid of cable. So I'm cool with having it. At least I only have to pay half.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
If you know how to use the internet (illegal hosts) and have an HDMI hook up to your TV you really don't have to miss any games. Feeds are not always perfect but they usually do the trick. I can't tell you how many Sox games I watched in class last April.

I don't have HD televisions in my house to watch s***ty, low-definition streams that cut in and out.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)

This is wrong. Major networks are required by the FCC as part of their license to broadcast.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
I don't have HD televisions in my house to watch s***ty, low-definition streams that cut in and out.

Exactly. Couldnt agree more. I occasionally will watch one of those feeds if a game is on WCIU or another channel that i dont get, but no way i could do it for every game.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
Buy a VPN-enabled router, buy MLB.tv, profit???

I live south of St. Louis and for whatever reason KC Royals games are blacked out so whenever the White Sox play them I have to find a way to watch the games.. I have read about VPN's before but not exactly sure how to use them.. Might have to ask you whenever we get to that point this year

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
This is wrong. Major networks are required by the FCC as part of their license to broadcast.

Ill check again with one of our TVs downstairs that does not have a cable box, but last time I tried watching TV out there with the HD over-the-air channels, everything suddenly said "scrambled".

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 01:46 AM)
Ill check again with one of our TVs downstairs that does not have a cable box, but last time I tried watching TV out there with the HD over-the-air channels, everything suddenly said "scrambled".

The TV needs to have an HD tuner built-in (any TV made within the last six years or so probably does) or a separate HD tuner box.