Sale # to be retired at FGCU

southsider2k5

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/106...-jersey-retired

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 14m14 minutes ago

Sale: "I don't need the biggest contract. I want that big shiny [World Series] trophy at the end."

More Sale, from the story: "We have the team to do that. I don't want the payday. I want the celebration."

One more from Sale: "I'm not going to sit here and talk about what I'm making, but I'm more than appreciative ..

Sale: "Let's not shy away from the fact I'm playing baseball, a game I love, and getting paid what I'm getting paid."

This off-season has put the White Sox in the right direction for contention. There's 162 games overall in the regular season and if we can put together a formula on the field that results in winning, then having Sale up there as our starting pitcher in Game 1 of a playoff series will make us a favorite to win and go far in the postseason. One can only hope...

Well, assuming the Sox pick up both of Sale's option years in 2018 and 2019 (for $12.5M and $13.5M, respectively), he'll hit the free agency market when he's 30. Max Scherzer just got $210M, and he's 30. So provided he's healthy, there's still a huge, huge payday awaiting Mr Sale in the off-season before the 2020 season. Let's hope the Sox re-work something with him before that and make sure he never hits the open market.

QUOTE (lvjeremylv @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
Well, assuming the Sox pick up both of Sale's option years in 2018 and 2019 (for $12.5M and $13.5M, respectively), he'll hit the free agency market when he's 30. Max Scherzer just got $210M, and he's 30. So provided he's healthy, there's still a huge, huge payday awaiting Mr Sale in the off-season before the 2020 season. Let's hope the Sox re-work something with him before that and make sure he never hits the open market.

Agree. He hits the open market and he's gone. Especially with the price of free agency going up every year a discount would still be a big amount.

QUOTE (lvjeremylv @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)

Yeah, we'll see if these "quotes" are still valid then. Much easier to say these things when baseball's salary structure has you by the nuts.

He probably has moments where he thinks he's underpaid, or wishes he didn't sign when he did. But he's set for life already and the payday will be coming in 2020 going into his Age 31 season. Hopefully over the next five years he stacks 33 starts and 220 innings per year, and the Sox win a championship or three.

• 2 weeks later...