**SPOILER THREAD** GAME OF THRONES ** SPOILER THREAD **

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
BTW, I've thought about this more, but the whole commentary on Dany being a terrible ruler and becoming Aerys because of that just seems off to me. Martin has had a ton of great people in his books, but few good rulers and those tend to be more mythical than anything. Honestly, which rulers to this day haven't made greivous mistakes? Every single one of them have thus far, including Dany. It very well could end up with her becoming the mad queen but with all the terrible rulers in Martin's books I don't think that is really what he was going towards.

Anything could happen...she may never get to the throne...maybe she helps get rid of the white walkers and than is dispatched another way. At this point it is all theories. Never know what twists Martin could potentially have planned (at least not theoretically, right)?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
Wait, that was the brotherhood without banners that killed Brother Ray and that establishment?

yeah, i think the actor confirmed he was playing lem the lemoncloak. thoros is also confirmed for next ep.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
I wonder if Gendry and Ayra reunite. No idea what he has been up to, but presume he'll serve some purpose at some point (and hey...they are bringing back all kinds of characters lately so why not, haha).

Gendry joins the BwoB in the books I think and gets knighted. In the show, he's still rowing. GRRM says he's going to link up with Arya again at some point.

PS: I really want 9 seasons (more is better as it allows more of the story to be told vs. moving too fast). I think their is still plenty of actoin that they could get and tell out of an extra season :)

From what I read in variety D&D was negotiating with HBO to do two short seasons, they said they were getting into their "final 13 episodes" after this season. I think they were mostly framing it that way because they are trying to negotiate a higher per episode budget, b/c it's going to cost a lot to show all of those battles/fx heavy set pieces.

Edited by Nixon

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
BTW, I've thought about this more, but the whole commentary on Dany being a terrible ruler and becoming Aerys because of that just seems off to me. Martin has had a ton of great people in his books, but few good rulers and those tend to be more mythical than anything. Honestly, which rulers to this day haven't made greivous mistakes? Every single one of them have thus far, including Dany. It very well could end up with her becoming the mad queen but with all the terrible rulers in Martin's books I don't think that is really what he was going towards.

I am mostly reacting out of bitterness to the whole Mereen plot. That said--her army is comprised of Dothraki, slave soldiers, mercenaries, and soon Ironborn Reavers. Not a single one of those factions is especially known for good behavior. Murderers and rapers the whole f***ing lot. She's been a total failure as a leader in Slaver's Bay. She has no knowledge of Westeros and is motivated purely b/c "I WANT IT BECAUSE IT'S MINE". And finally, her entire arc would be the mother of all cliches if she turned out to arrive, win the throne and become the fair and just ruler happily ever after. I kind of feel like the show is barreling toward some s***ty ending like this where she rules jointly with Jon Snow, but in my head and in the books I would get a solid laugh out of her turning out to be a fake Targaryen (a Blackfyre) while it turns out Arys' Aegon is the real Targ (and in the books the allusions to Egg are pretty heavy), and Bran (with Bloodraven as part of his consciousness) taking her dragons and killing her (making 5 confirmed blackfyres downed for mr. Brynden Rivers).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
I'm not saying their castles and all of them die, but in kings landing now, you have the players that if removed would essentially move two houses off the storyline.

You cannot move the most prominent house in the entire series off of the page like that though.

And the Brotherhood clearly saw the hound and executed the people that were basically protecting him. This is setting in motion the return of Cat as Lady Stoneheart. The only thing that gets me is how off the timelines are with some of these storylines. The siege on the Blackfish and the Brotherhood happened WAY before some of the other things we are seeing. Its driving me nuts. That was easily one of the best episodes to date, so much happening.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
My thoughts are maybe this is where you get the story of their leader sacrificing himself for Catelyn Stark (so she can be reborn) and following that the Brotherhood kind of disbanded, persay, and turned more into pillagers. I was surprised when they ended up murdering everyone as I wouldn't have expected this from the brotherhood (rather to your point, they were more likely to steal and pilfer the rich). I figure the Hound is going to reunite with someone tied to the starks (or Brienne). Arya would seem the least likely possibility given where she currently is and we know the Hound wants to find and has been somewhat loyal to the Stark girls.

This is my non book reading theory so hell if I know. Plus I like spending my time speculating on this vs. wasting my time on what goes on in Mereen (where they have taken characters I liked and made them crappy) and dealing with the Mother of Dragons (eh...BORING). Give me more of the North and more of Marjorie and Tyrell and the soon to be resolution that goes on with the High Sparrow (who is a good actor). Basically I enjoy all the main houses (even enjoy the houses I don't like, because they play such awesome roles) except for the Mother of Dragons (and that stupid women trio who are terrible and I'm sure are going to reappear here soon). Sad part was, I once thought the Mother of Dragons was an interesting story but they show somewhere took it in an awful direction (maybe because I thought Mormont was a good character and enjoyed the initial moments, even the end of last season with the sons of harpy and everything was interesting but this season she's been brutal, imo....not sure if it is bad stories or if she just isn't near the actress as this show has some people who literally just steal the spotlight, with quite a few very strong female characters).

Thats how it happens with Dany in the books too, exciting at first and then absolute waste of paper.

Bad episode. They spent how much time setting up the fight between the Arya & the Waif and they don't even show it? They build up a potentially awesome siege at Riverrun and then nothing. Hell, they don't even show the Blackfish going out in a blaze of glory. That wave between Jamie & Brianne was hokey beyond belief. And I thought we'd finally move forward in the King's Landing and we made some, but not nearly enough progress.

The Battle of the Bastards will be awesome next week and episode 10 should be cool if finish the King's Landing stuff once and for all, but tonight's episode was a disappointment.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)
Bad episode. They spent how much time setting up the fight between the Arya & the Waif and they don't even show it? They build up a potentially awesome siege at Riverrun and then nothing. Hell, they don't even show the Blackfish going out in a blaze of glory. That wave between Jamie & Brianne was hokey beyond belief. And I thought we'd finally move forward in the King's Landing and we made some, but not nearly enough progress.

The Battle of the Bastards will be awesome next week and episode 10 should be cool if finish the King's Landing stuff once and for all, but tonight's episode was a disappointment.

Arya and The Waif fight mirrored Syrio, but the outcome was better. I actually prefer some offscreen fights.

The siege at Riverrun's only purpose is to advance the characters of Jaime and Brienne. They both laid their cards out and found a mutual respect/love. That was never going to be a great battle. The Tully's were vastly outnumbered.

It would have been idiotic to show the Blackfish in some crazy sword fight after they've spent several episodes talking about how old he is. It's just not realistic.

King's Landing made a ton of progress. No more trial by combat. They revealed wildfire and Tommen broke up with his f***in Mom. Cersei is incredibly desperate and she's going to burn the whole city down.

As always, there's a lot of progression, it's just not the outcome some people want, so they pretend it's bad television, despite being some of the best produced TV of all time.

Certainly the worst episode of the season, though Arya has been the worst storyline the past two seasons so it's not a surprise considering she was the showcase. Looks like next week's episode will be similar to "Blackwater" and "The Watcher's On the Wall" in that the entire episode will consist of the battle at Winterfell.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
Arya and The Waif fight mirrored Syrio, but the outcome was better. I actually prefer some offscreen fights.

The siege at Riverrun's only purpose is to advance the characters of Jaime and Brienne. They both laid their cards out and found a mutual respect/love. That was never going to be a great battle. The Tully's were vastly outnumbered.

It would have been idiotic to show the Blackfish in some crazy sword fight after they've spent several episodes talking about how old he is. It's just not realistic.

King's Landing made a ton of progress. No more trial by combat. They revealed wildfire and Tommen broke up with his f***in Mom. Cersei is incredibly desperate and she's going to burn the whole city down.

As always, there's a lot of progression, it's just not the outcome some people want, so they pretend it's bad television, despite being some of the best produced TV of all time.

How did the Arya/Waif fight mirror Syrio? I'm not even sure what those words mean. And it was ridiculous that Arya took a nasty gut wound last week, but after a bowl of soup and a night's rest she was fine. But hey, I guess it just wasn't the outcome I wanted.

Idiotic to show the Blackfish's final sword fight cause he's old? Funny they showed Ser Barristan's last season and it was an awesome scene. And I'm sorry, you can call the Jaime/Brianne wave "mutual love" but it was corny as f***.

King's landing made some progress, I will admit that. The trial by combat reveal was huge and the fact that Tommen basically betrayed his mom was awesome. However, the storyline has been dragging all season and I was expecting something closer to the conclusion of the arc than we got tonight. Probably my fault for having high expectations.

And I absolutely love the show and respect the fact it's going in a different direction than the books, but that doesn't mean I can't be objective and critique elements of the show. I was pretty disappointed by tonight's episode, with the Arya/Waif & Riverrun stories really letting me down. Oh well, Battle of the Bastards looks amazing and I'm sure episode 10 will be a much bigger deal than in previous seasons.

I liked it, I'm shocked there wasnt enough gore in that episode for some, because there was tons.

Dany finally made it back, so shes moving. We finally have the makings of a war for the north. Arya is finally leaving and Cesei is f***ed. Pretty good all around. I'm wondering what Varys is up to.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
I liked it, I'm shocked there wasnt enough gore in that episode for some, because there was tons.

Dany finally made it back, so shes moving. We finally have the makings of a war for the north. Arya is finally leaving and Cesei is f***ed. Pretty good all around. I'm wondering what Varys is up to.

I assumed the Varys stuff would be him going to meet one of the Iron Islands crews.

I think Varys is headed to Dorne to set up a friendly beachhead for Dany. Speaking of Dany, they should call this Game of Timely Arrivals.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 12:56 AM)
And I must have missed the wildfire reference. When did this happen?

Qyburn and Cersei talking about rumors. In Bran's visions earlier in the season we see the pyromancers preparing the wildfire for Aerys II. Cersei asked Qyburn to check out the old caches of Wildfire said to have been buried around the city.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Wildfire_plot

Edited by Nixon

Jon Snow now has his army as well which is why there was no battle at River Run

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Jon Snow now has his army as well which is why there was no battle at River Run

What army? Does not look like the Tully soldiers were allowed to leave for the North.

The previews for next week looks to show Jon/Sansa fighting over including Baelish/the Vale.

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
I think Varys is headed to Dorne to set up a friendly beachhead for Dany. Speaking of Dany, they should call this Game of Timely Arrivals.

Qyburn and Cersei talking about rumors. In Bran's visions earlier in the season we see the pyromancers preparing the wildfire for Aerys II. Cersei asked Qyburn to check out the old caches of Wildfire said to have been buried around the city.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Wildfire_plot

Didn't Tyrion use that cache for the Battle of the Blackwater fight?

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)

The Wildfire caches aren't rumors; Tyrion used them to great effect already.

Doesn't make much sense that Qyburn would be using child-spies to get that kind of information anyway.

It was one of the worst episodes in a while for me, mostly because it felt like all of the less interesting story lines that were stuck in place just remained stuck in place or had some unsatisfying conclusions.

Dany's arrival was so lame. Oh no everyone, we're in trouble! Oh wait, here's Dany at the most opportunistic moment! Ugh, they're so good at not having telegraphed/cheesy moments and this was such a big fail. It would have been 100 times better if they hadn't done the cheesy halftime speech scene last week and instead had her arrive with Drogon on top of the pyramid.

I thought Arya's adventures in Bravos were fine, but it lacked emotion knowing that she was never going to be killed off. You knew she would be the victor at some point. The fact that we didn't see her victory fight was incredibly unsatisfying. Especially since we got so much of the chase scene before it.

Riverrun was a gigantic waste of time, other than the Bronn/Pod scene. In the grand scheme what was the point here? Why or how is any of this important to the main story? It also muddied how we're supposed to view Jamie. Is he bad guy through and through or is he a bad guy that is forced to do bad things unwillingly? The whole "i'll do anything for Cersei" puts him right back into the "i'm a bad guy at my core" camp. And it comes after so much time was spent the last couple of seasons redeeming him and making us believe he's not all bad (his convo with Brienne about his life and the mad king, his treatment of Tyrion, etc.),. Again though, what was the point here? How did any of this advance the plot?

Cersei is becoming Dany-in-Meereen. Just f***ing get to it already. We all know she's going to get out of it somehow, someway. Her moping around the Red Keep is so boring.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)

Doesn't make much sense that Qyburn would be using child-spies to get that kind of information anyway.

Yeah I took that "rumor" stuff to mean that the High Sparrow diddles kids or visits whore houses or something similar. Some kind of sinful behavior that Cersei is going to use against him at her trial.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)

Tyrion found a cache of it and ordered new stuff made, remember he met with the alchemists? Sending the spiders who know all the secret passages around KL and can move unnoticed and unfettered is exactly the kind of resource you'd use to ferret out the remaining caches. Aerys put that s*** all over the city.

What information are they going to find about the HS? He already told Marge about his prior life as a sinner and would just use it as an example that everyone can be redeemed and reborn in the light of the seven.

Edited by Nixon