2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
Will be interesting to see how the Cubs and Astros draft when they are no longer picking inside the top 10. Then we will see just how good their scouting is.

The organization that impressed me most is the Cardinals. They have not picked higher than 19th over all since 2008 when they picked 13th and yet here they are still developing major league talent year after year.

Bryant is the only big piece of the major league team this year that the Cubs got through the draft and he was a no-brainer. Pretty much all their good players have come through free agency and trades. They're not necessarily a good model for the draft, their scouting is good because they've hit on almost all of their trades over the past few years.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Bryant is the only big piece of the major league team this year that the Cubs got through the draft and he was a no-brainer. Pretty much all their good players have come through free agency and trades. They're not necessarily a good model for the draft, their scouting is good because they've hit on almost all of their trades over the past few years.

you do have a point, at first glance, when you see the ratings and the farm, you come away impress.

however if you analyze it, you come to see the real truth.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)
That's a bad nickname for McDaniel!

How do you the Sox haven't infused their team with new scouts?

Its the bleeping tablet.

I know that Hahn wanted to his new scouts and he did.... they were all international scouts (At least those are the only hirings that were made public. But i want to see a complete revamp of that department.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
Will be interesting to see how the Cubs and Astros draft when they are no longer picking inside the top 10. Then we will see just how good their scouting is.

The organization that impressed me most is the Cardinals. They have not picked higher than 19th over all since 2008 when they picked 13th and yet here they are still developing major league talent year after year.

The Cardinals also have had 5 of the top 59 picks in the 2012 draft, 3 of the top 57 picks in the 2013 draft, 2 of the top 34 picks in the 2014 draft, and 2 of the top 39 in the 2015 draft.

The Sox in that time frame had 2 of the top 48 picks in the 2012 draft (Hawkins and Barnum), 2 of the top 55 in 2013 (Anderson and Danish), 2 of the top 44 in 2014 (Rodon and Adams), and 1 pick in the 1st 3 rounds of the 2015 draft in Fulmer.

Since 2012 the Cardinals have had 12 picks in the top 60 of MLB drafts, the Sox have had 7 in that same time frame. That also helps the Cardinals quite a bit, not to mention their scouting and development are good. St. Louis is 106 games over .500 since 2011, the Sox are 56 games under .500 in that time. :(

if the rumor was true and Stl had some interest.... i would not play hard ball on asking for alot. if they wasn A. LaRoche and his contract, that will be great. i would even add sanchez in any deal.

all i want in rtn is one of the following and comp money, Mike Mayers, Valera, Herrera.

but that is me.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 08:18 AM)
The Cardinals also have had 5 of the top 59 picks in the 2012 draft, 3 of the top 57 picks in the 2013 draft, 2 of the top 34 picks in the 2014 draft, and 2 of the top 39 in the 2015 draft.

The Sox in that time frame had 2 of the top 48 picks in the 2012 draft (Hawkins and Barnum), 2 of the top 55 in 2013 (Anderson and Danish), 2 of the top 44 in 2014 (Rodon and Adams), and 1 pick in the 1st 3 rounds of the 2015 draft in Fulmer.

Since 2012 the Cardinals have had 12 picks in the top 60 of MLB drafts, the Sox have had 7 in that same time frame. That also helps the Cardinals quite a bit, not to mention their scouting and development are good. St. Louis is 106 games over .500 since 2011, the Sox are 56 games under .500 in that time. :(

Good point and reminds me of how the Cards get competitive balance picks and have also received a compensatory pick for Pujols. Nevertheless, they still did a great job collecting talent for the farm.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
Nick Banks is my guy.

Last year Fulmer was and we got him.

2 years ago, I was really torn between Rodon and Aiken.

Hopefully Banks falls.

Ray, Okey, and Banks are my hopefuls at this point

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
Nick Banks is my guy.

Last year Fulmer was and we got him.

2 years ago, I was really torn between Rodon and Aiken.

Hopefully Banks falls.

Undersized and physically maxed out, corner outfielder? I'll pass.

I really like AJ Puk alot and Alec Hansen, but as the article stated he's taking the summer off.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
Undersized and physically maxed out, corner outfielder? I'll pass.

I really like AJ Puk alot and Alec Hansen, but as the article stated he's taking the summer off.

I understand going for best available but, Puk is another lefty starting pitcher that will be close to the majors right when drafted. What are we going to do with all that talent if we were to get him

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
I understand going for best available but, Puk is another lefty starting pitcher that will be close to the majors right when drafted. What are we going to do with all that talent if we were to get him

I don't think he's a close as most people think he is, I would like to see better command from him. To answer your question, if the Sox were to draft him it wouldn't be a bad thing. You can never have too much pitching, especially left handed. The Sox could deal a guy at the MLB level (Probably Quintana) and bring more talent into the system.

Look at the Cubs and their plethora of shortstops for example or the Mets and their arms....

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 05:39 PM)
I don't think he's a close as most people think he is, I would like to see better command from him. To answer your question, if the Sox were to draft him it wouldn't be a bad thing. You can never have too much pitching, especially left handed. The Sox could deal a guy at the MLB level (Probably Quintana) and bring more talent into the system.

Look at the Cubs and their plethora of shortstops for example or the Mets and their arms....

Yeah having a surplus of talent at one position is a great problem to have. You can always trade your surplus to fill your other holes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Comment From Adam

If the Braves wind up with the #1 pick, who should they take?

Kiley McDaniel: right now, I’d take Blake Rutherford, prep OF from SoCal

Kiley McDaniel: Short report on him is OF tweener, 55 runner, 55 raw power, 60 bat, LH has hit everywhere for the last three summers. If you have read me for awhile, you know I don’t put 60 bat on almost anyone, even in the minors.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 10:58 PM)
I can't be the only one who thinks that the Sox HAVE to take a hitter with their first pick, right?

They already have a bunch of young stud pitchers, but not many hitters. I'd ideally like a catcher or third baseman with some pop, but we'll have to see.

Take the best available talent but if they're board is tied between a pitcher and a hitter, take the pitcher, they've got a track record of consistency when it comes to developing pitchers, we're just now starting to see some hitters surface, and you can always trade pitching for hitting, case in point eaton trade, and the davidson trade (all though that didn't really work out for either team).

QUOTE (beautox @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 04:51 AM)
Take the best available talent but if they're board is tied between a pitcher and a hitter, take the pitcher, they've got a track record of consistency when it comes to developing pitchers, we're just now starting to see some hitters surface, and you can always trade pitching for hitting, case in point eaton trade, and the davidson trade (all though that didn't really work out for either team).

nice opinion.

for me, 1-4 are easily a pick for a sp. 5-15 several positional players. but for me, i wouldn't be surprise to see some unknown player shoot up to this slot. for me, my money will on on this ARZ kid 3b-dalbec .

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 02:29 AM)
nice opinion.

for me, 1-4 are easily a pick for a sp. 5-15 several positional players. but for me, i wouldn't be surprise to see some unknown player shoot up to this slot. for me, my money will on on this ARZ kid 3b-dalbec .

I feel like if you go into a draft saying hey if we have picks 1 through 4 then we're taking a pitcher and if we have picks 5 through 15 then we're taking a bat, you're really going to hand cuff yourself.

Always take the BPA no matter what, stay true to your board.

Edited by Joshua Strong