2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
I can think of one player the Sox drafted in that situation, and I am not sure if they knew ahead of time that is what they were drafting, in Blake Hickman.

Very true. They loved Jeff Hoffman though. I bet that if they picked somewhere in that 5-8 range, they would have taken him. That's just my opinion though.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
I can think of one player the Sox drafted in that situation, and I am not sure if they knew ahead of time that is what they were drafting, in Blake Hickman.

HE didn't know he needed TJS until he reported to Arizona.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
HE didn't know he needed TJS until he reported to Arizona.

Thanks for the confirmation. I don't see the White Sox being the team to draft a guy who is having TJS, unless they got some insane discount. They already passed up a chance at Brady Aiken this year, and Jeff Hoffman the year prior.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't see the White Sox being the team to draft a guy who is having TJS, unless they got some insane discount. They already passed up a chance at Brady Aiken this year, and Jeff Hoffman the year prior.

If Hanson were to have TJ and fell to 10 for the Sox, I can definitely see the Sox saving some money there and then go over slot with the comp pick.

Because last year, Matuella was a consensus top 10 pick before his injury, he then fell to the 3rd round. So, I think it could happen by drafting a guy like Hanson at 10 with an agreed deal before hand that he would take under slot but still in the 1st round.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
I don't know, the Sox are very proud of their medical staff. If they don't sign a compensation tied FA they should have what will come out to be a top 5ish draft pool. I think the only team in front of them with a FA with a QO is the Padres. So if they signed a their 10th pick underslot they could sign a big prospect in the comp round a la Daz Cameron, Sean Manaea, etc.

The downside is that players are not taking as large of a discount to sign after having TJS as they did a few years ago. Its tough to see them getting someone at 10 that would take a significant enough discount to make a second top guy possible. If they were top 5 then it would probably work out, but I can't see it given where their pool will be.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
I foresee the Sox going strong after pitching as I think they are going to clean out some of their upper level depth to get a bat or two to supplement the ML roster.

I agree. Example:

Sox get young MLB bats (or an mlb bat and position player prospects close to mlb) for Quintana. Go on to draft pitching with first 3 picks.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)
I agree. Example:

Sox get young MLB bats (or an mlb bat and position player prospects close to mlb) for Quintana. Go on to draft pitching with first 3 picks.

there has been some names i have been looking at.... something like "thinking outside the box" and they are pitchers.

for me, i like college players. i also see a possible 2 catchers being there at #10, whether one of them remains at catcher going forward, who knows.

all i know i can't wait until the college season starts and see how things panned out.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 02:05 AM)
And those 3 players accepting their QO pushed our 2nd RD pick 3 picks better than we had thought.

Depending on what happens with the QO's they could have a pick before #30.

Last year the #10 overall pick had a value of $3,231,300 and picks before #30 have a value of around $2M.

The Sox could have about $7.1M to spend on their first four picks (First round, comp pick, second and third rounds) in the draft, going on the values from the 2015 draft.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
Depending on what happens with the QO's they could have a pick before #30.

Last year the #10 overall pick had a value of $3,231,300 and picks before #30 have a value of around $2M.

The Sox could have about $7.1M to spend on their first four picks (First round, comp pick, second and third rounds) in the draft, going on the values from the 2015 draft.

I think it's a safe bet that they'll pick in the 26-28 range. There are 17 free agents with QO's attached. Even if only 6 teams lose 1st rounders, that puts the Sox at #27. Ideally it'll be like 8 teams and they'll get the 25th pick.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
I think it's a safe bet that they'll pick in the 26-28 range. There are 17 free agents with QO's attached. Even if only 6 teams lose 1st rounders, that puts the Sox at #27. Ideally it'll be like 8 teams and they'll get the 25th pick.

16* free agents with QOs attached. 20 offered a QO, 3 accepted and Estrada re-signed with the Jays.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
Some new names to add to the list of interesting position players:

Kyle Lewis

Delvin Perez

Zack Collins

Willie Abreu

in my uneducated, unpro opinion, zach collins is #2 in hitting of the whole draft, well meaning he is an interesting player with power, hitting skills. now some experts are questioning if he will or could transfer his defensive skill to stay as catcher.

imp the best pwer hitter is Bobby Dalbec, - 3b and they do not know if he is good enuf to stay at 3b. but when his hitting power is compared to kris bryant - cubs, and stanton of miani, you will need to take notice.

but my disclaimer, we as fans need to see another season of college ball and see how they develop.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
in my uneducated, unpro opinion, zach collins is #2 in hitting of the whole draft, well meaning he is an interesting player with power, hitting skills. now some experts are questioning if he will or could transfer his defensive skill to stay as catcher.

imp the best pwer hitter is Bobby Dalbec, - 3b and they do not know if he is good enuf to stay at 3b. but when his hitting power is compared to kris bryant - cubs, and stanton of miani, you will need to take notice.

but my disclaimer, we as fans need to see another season of college ball and see how they develop.

I would say that Ray from Louisville is an early favorite with his ties to the ACE Academy. Should be a fun season with so many high picks

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
I would say that Ray from Louisville is an early favorite with his ties to the ACE Academy. Should be a fun season with so many high picks

i know what you mean, ray would be excellent, but the org need for a cat and 3b and even a good dh if 1b is manned, is what i have been looking at.

with pitching, i am a minority here, but i still like puk as the #1 player / sp in the whole draft.

dang it, i can't wait for the freaking ncaa baseball season to start. the cape cod was really uneventful for me.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
i know what you mean, ray would be excellent, but the org need for a cat and 3b and even a good dh if 1b is manned, is what i have been looking at.

with pitching, i am a minority here, but i still like puk as the #1 player / sp in the whole draft.

dang it, i can't wait for the freaking ncaa baseball season to start. the cape cod was really uneventful for me.

Chris Okey could be there at #10 as well but it's so very early.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)

We've been over this. You draft BPA, no matter the position in the first couple rounds. Draft for need in the later rounds.