2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)
We've been over this. You draft BPA, no matter the position in the first couple rounds. Draft for need in the later rounds.

if you really don't have anything worth while to add in the conversation, don't respond.

Edited by LDF

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
Chris Okey could be there at #10 as well but it's so very early.

you are correct, but some discussion will help look and identify players to keep a track on them, well that is how i like to do it.

okey, i am not sold... an avg at best catcher, going at #10.... i still think he will drop out of the first round, esp if he doesn't pick his game up.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
if you really don't have anything worth while to add in the conversation, don't respond.

It was worthy to add because you have to go with what you feel is the best player at that point. Not just a position.

I remember at the draft last year, they interviewed the Rockies GM after they took Brendan Rodgers. He said they took a pitcher but he wasn't their highest rated player overall, but a team need. They took Tyler Anderson. Kolton Wong, Blake Swihart, and Joe Panik all were picked after Anderson that were rated higher.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
It was worthy to add because you have to go with what you feel is the best player at that point. Not just a position.

I remember at the draft last year, they interviewed the Rockies GM after they took Brendan Rodgers. He said they took a pitcher but he wasn't their highest rated player overall, but a team need. They took Tyler Anderson. Kolton Wong, Blake Swihart, and Joe Panik all were picked after Anderson that were rated higher.

again, think of what i am talking about.

we are discussing players to keep an eye on for the next season ncaa games.

you are not going to get out of this was some lame arse excuse. give it up.

come on really kool and tell all who is posting you know what you are talking about, take the BPA. real lame.

if you have anything to add about players to keep an eye for next yr, belly up.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
i know what you mean, ray would be excellent, but the org need for a cat and 3b and even a good dh if 1b is manned, is what i have been looking at.

What does this mean then?

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
again, think of what i am talking about.

we are discussing players to keep an eye on for the next season ncaa games.

you are not going to get out of this was some lame arse excuse. give it up.

come on really kool and tell all who is posting you know what you are talking about, take the BPA. real lame.

if you have anything to add about players to keep an eye for next yr, belly up.

I do have some players in mind for all 3 draft picks that we will get in the top 50-55.

And my "excuse" that I gave about the Rockies is plain fact.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
What does this mean then?

I do have some players in mind for all 3 draft picks that we will get in the top 50-55.

And my "excuse" that I gave about the Rockies is plain fact.

plain freaking english... and i have problem with english.

we are talking about and identifying players who may be there, also if not, he is a ACE player that is a good nod for the program...

do you know what ACE is and who set it up????

who care.... i am done talking to you, before i get banned for my of my ENGLISh may use next.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
I would say that Ray from Louisville is an early favorite with his ties to the ACE Academy. Should be a fun season with so many high picks

I 100% believe Ray will be the pick if he's there

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
I 100% believe Ray will be the pick if he's there

that may be a safe bet b/c of how the sox owners feel of the program. but last yr, that other player dropped at draft time.

of the top of my head looking at this draft at this time. also with the understanding that there is still a full yr of college baseball to be played.

Ray leads all positional players i think with his hit tools. what did they say a comparable 10 hrs, 15 - 25 sb and nice avg.

but looking at the sox needs, and here is where i am different. Dalbec is the best player in power in the whole draft. comparable to kris bryant

the sleeper is zach collins. climbing fast. he is the best power for catchers, maybe the 2nd best in the draft, nice throwing skills and can hit for avg. the big question is can he stay at catcher??? if he can, i will take him over anyone that is not the top 2 fav pitchers.

this is a nice looking draft with some 3 tier players that can move if they had a good yr.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
the sleeper is zach collins. climbing fast. he is the best power for catchers, maybe the 2nd best in the draft, nice throwing skills and can hit for avg. the big question is can he stay at catcher??? if he can, i will take him over anyone that is not the top 2 fav pitchers.

Why does that seem to be the case with soooo many catchers (wondering if he can stay at catcher)? You hear that all the time.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
Why does that seem to be the case with soooo many catchers (wondering if he can stay at catcher)? You hear that all the time.

i am no expert and i am more than sure some posters on this site will be able to answer better than i, esp that one mod who played ball.

but the concentration level to catch, the training for being a catcher, the legs, knee, back and even the butt exercise to handle that position. now i remember a abc thing on a sat about catchers and something for the fans.

well bench, fisk and several more catchers were talking about how much work they had to do with catching and being conscious of the total pkg, hitting and catching and how hard it is.

well today, the org wants to make it easier on the players.... methinks.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
i am no expert and i am more than sure some posters on this site will be able to answer better than i, esp that one mod who played ball.

but the concentration level to catch, the training for being a catcher, the legs, knee, back and even the butt exercise to handle that position. now i remember a abc thing on a sat about catchers and something for the fans.

well bench, fisk and several more catchers were talking about how much work they had to do with catching and being conscious of the total pkg, hitting and catching and how hard it is.

well today, the org wants to make it easier on the players.... methinks.

Makes some sense to me. Thanks.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 05:16 AM)
Makes some sense to me. Thanks.

well i will put out my normal disclaimer in saying that this is my opinion but i think some one else to step in and maybe answer this better than i.

i hope that mod / admin poster will chime in, he played ball and i would trust his opinion.

but thanks for the time to post back.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
I have a hard time believing anything anywhere close to 100% on the June draft when the 2016 spring seasons haven't even started.

you make a good point but it help in fans getting into the draft and prospect for the hype and excitement ..... it is all in fun.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)

A lot of it has to do with learning to catch in professional baseball weighed against the ability to hit. If a kid has a special bat, he is likely going to get moved to another position so that they can advance him more quickly to the majors. If the kid has an average bat the team will take their time and try and let him develop defensively. Another factor is the size of the player, obviously crouching for 1000 innings a year takes a physical toll on a person and not all kids develop the frame to be able to withstand the strain that it puts on your body. Usually they will either move these kids off right away or give them a chance to develop and then move them off to another position once the injuries start coming into play. Which leaves you with what the majority of minor league catchers are, defensive catchers without a lot of offensive upside. Obviously there are exceptions, but the depth in most minor league systems are guys with defensive skills that teams hope will develop some offense to go along with their defense.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
A lot of it has to do with learning to catch in professional baseball weighed against the ability to hit. If a kid has a special bat, he is likely going to get moved to another position so that they can advance him more quickly to the majors. If the kid has an average bat the team will take their time and try and let him develop defensively. Another factor is the size of the player, obviously crouching for 1000 innings a year takes a physical toll on a person and not all kids develop the frame to be able to withstand the strain that it puts on your body. Usually they will either move these kids off right away or give them a chance to develop and then move them off to another position once the injuries start coming into play. Which leaves you with what the majority of minor league catchers are, defensive catchers without a lot of offensive upside. Obviously there are exceptions, but the depth in most minor league systems are guys with defensive skills that teams hope will develop some offense to go along with their defense.

excellent analysis, i knew someone would have a better answer than what i gave.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Lots of pitchers and OF. Watching Dalbec and Okey's years will be interesting. That Puerto Rican SS is very intriguing to me too. Should be fun with 3 pretty valuable picks on the first night.

My favorite offensive player in this draft might be OF Kyle Lewis from Mercer. Reminds me of Justin Upton