2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
I have said it before and I'll say it again: The Sox have to take a hitter at #10 unless there is a pitcher that is unbelievably good that slipped somehow.

That's not saying anything different from "take best available" which is what most people are saying. Your concept is the same just worded differently.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Oh I know. I'm just reiterating it. I have a bad feeling that the Sox will f*** up this pick somehow.

They've done quite well with their #1 picks lately. Not sure what makes you think they are likely to screw it up. Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer is pretty hard to beat from any other team. In fact their last three drafts in general have looked pretty good to me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
They've done quite well with their #1 picks lately. Not sure what makes you think they are likely to screw it up. Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer is pretty hard to beat from any other team. In fact their last three drafts in general have looked pretty good to me.

Agreed. Very excited about the direction of the organization since Hahn took over. I think the Hostetler promotion is a good one.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)

I'm not sold on Anderson or Fulmer honestly. They may be studs in the minors, but who knows what their transition to the big leagues will be like. Rodon is a stud though and I'm glad that he fell to the Sox.

I'm just hoping that they can draft/develop a stud position player for once. Not someone like Sanchez or Saladino. A legit star with all the tools.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm not sold on Anderson or Fulmer honestly. They may be studs in the minors, but who knows what their transition to the big leagues will be like. Rodon is a stud though and I'm glad that he fell to the Sox.

I'm just hoping that they can draft/develop a stud position player for once. Not someone like Sanchez or Saladino. A legit star with all the tools.

This organization desperately needs Anderson to work out at short.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)

Fulmer and Anderson are good picks though regardless of what you're sold or not sold on.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)
Fulmer and Anderson are good picks though regardless of what you're sold or not sold on.

not really and i mean no offense.

but there are a history of players who do great in the minors and can't make that transition to the majors.

now i am a huge fan of both, and i will pray to the baseball gods that they develop and have a great career on the sox team.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
Oh I know. I'm just reiterating it. I have a bad feeling that the Sox will f*** up this pick somehow.

i somewhat agree with you and then again, remember i am always have my mind looking at the other side of the coin.

i wanted Rodon regardless of my opinion on his advisor / agent. i wanted fulmer but i also wanted another positional player. i can't or do not have that skill to determine the skills of the prospects.

there are several elite pitchers, i would look at one, but i would and at #10, being looking at a hitter.

remember the pick is 10 not 3 or 5 but #10. most of the elite pitchers may be gone.

just my reasoning .

also remember we are long way from draft day.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)

Ever since the current CBA came into effect, the Sox are a fairly good drafting team, at least when it comes to first round picks. I would like to see them become a little more creative when it comes to spreading out the bons pool.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)

How are they good picks? As of right now, they are, but they could flame out and never make the big leagues.

*Knock on wood* that it doesn't happen, but they could bust just like every other prospect.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Ever since the current CBA came into effect, the Sox are a fairly good drafting team, at least when it comes to first round picks. I would like to see them become a little more creative when it comes to spreading out the bons pool.

This past year was a step in the right direction.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
This past year was a step in the right direction.

The fact that we got contributions from multiple position players that were drafted/signed of Latin America and fully developed by the White Sox organization, including at least two guys who are probably going to be competing for starting jobs in 2016 means that we have gone a long way in the right direction, even though it hasn't really been acknowledged by the fans.

This is completely leaving out that we churn out pitching from our system like it is going out of style.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
I have said it before and I'll say it again: The Sox have to take a hitter at #10 unless there is a pitcher that is unbelievably good that slipped somehow.

That's how you get in a bad situation. If the BPA is a pitcher, you continue to load up on pitching and acquire a bat via trade.

QUOTE (staxx @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
That's how you get in a bad situation. If the BPA is a pitcher, you continue to load up on pitching and acquire a bat via trade.

i can see this debate in a good theory and based on good judgement with available information. with the opinion that sometimes players hopes may not become, if development fails.

but when a team is picking in the 7- 10, i will always take, a pitcher, unless a hitter comes with a huge gossip of being a great prospect. some can say this is in theory BPA.... it might but at this stage, the best player for the teams needs.

however the level of pitching, at this present time, only the top 2 or 3 are what i would considered excellent prospect / sp.

however how can you not look acquiring an elite bat over the possibility of getting a sp.

now the only defense in my defense is 2 players who were passed over.... mike trout and giancarlo stanton were never considered BPA, but had a rep for a powerful bat.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
i can see this debate in a good theory and based on good judgement with available information. with the opinion that sometimes players hopes may not become, if development fails.

but when a team is picking in the top 7- 10 i will always take, a pitcher, unless a hitter comes with a huge gossip of being a great prospect.

however the level of pitching, at this present time, only the top 2 or 3 are what i would say excellent prospect / sp.

however how can you not look acquiring an elite bat over the possibility of getting a sp.

now only defense in my point is 2 players who were passed over.... mike trout and giancarlo stanton .

Know why the Cubs, Cardinals, Giants, Astros and Dodgers got where they are? Do know how the Braves teams of the 90s became a 15 year dynasty?

They took BPA always, regardless of where they picked and what their org needed.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 08:27 PM)
Know why the Cubs, Cardinals, Giants, Astros and Dodgers got where they are? Do know how the Braves teams of the 90s became a 15 year dynasty?

They took BPA always, regardless of where they picked and what their org needed.

b/c they had a better owner and FO who knew what there were doing.

the owner of the sox had his hand in managing team when he wasn't qualified.

just b/c he is the owner, doesn't mean he know how to manage the team.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)

Welcome to 2015 where you can't draft the same way as the good old days.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)
Welcome to 2015 where you can't draft the same way as the good old days.

Yeah some of those teams overspent in the draft, but they overspent to get what they thought were the best players on the board.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)

I can say that this isn't true, at least not for the Cubs. They got to where they are now through getting incredible return value from their trades. Rizzo, Russell, Arrieta, all worked out perfectly for them. McKinney will contribute at some point next year. They are also extremely aggressive in LA spending, signing Soler and shattered the budget on a years to stock their farm.

On the other hand, of the 3 first round picks on their team, Schwarber was definitely not the BPA at the time, Baez was a mild reach. Only Bryant was the BPA out of the first round picks.