2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
They do on Hannity's TV show. I have tuned in to watch a little bit this past week and they are very anti Hillary with their comments/stats, etc. Like I said some people think Hillary is pretty close to "evil" if not "evil" itself. Just because I don't vote for Trump doesn't mean I'll ever say a nice word about Hillary. I have praised Bill, however, in the past.

You think we're gonna listen to Lumpy?

Also Politifact ranked Hillary the most honest candidate of this election - including Bernie.

They only do fact checking.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
76-13=63, Clinton has a 63% lead among latino voters over Trump.

Shining symbol of journalistic integrity Breitbart caught using a photo of Cleveland's NBA trophy celebration rally as a photo of a Trump Jacksonville rally

On Trump's claims of watching a "top secret" video from Iran unloading that sweet, sweet cash. Spokeswoman: nope, he never saw a video

Not exactly shocking that Donald "Top Birther" "I saw Muslims dancing on the streets in NY/NJ on 9/11" Trump completely made something up in his conspiracy-addled mind.

Trump doubled down on having seen this video again today, proving once again that Clinton is just as unqualified.

CpChH3xW8AExTib.jpg

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)
According to polling numbers, and not just "your feeling", you would be wrong.

The poll I saw 65 percent of Americans think she is untrustworthy. She's the best of two bad candidates apparently according to 65 percent. I'm actually stunned at Soxtalk's support of Hillary. I can hardly believe it actually. Smart people on here. I mean I can't vote for either; some on here actually seem happy Hillary is running rather than just preferring her over Mr. Negative SoundBite.

NBC/WSJ: Clinton +9

Marist/McClatchy: Clinton +15

Clinton camp also pulling out ad funding from VA and CO, their internals must show them walking away in those states.

Taniel @Taniel

From August thru November, no poll had Obama leading Romney by more than 9%.

Past 3 days: Clinton +9% (CNN), +10% (Fox), +15% (Marist).

4:01 PM - 4 Aug 2016

And then toss the NBC/WSJ +9 on top of that.

We're in House-flipping territory right now.

Edited by StrangeSox

Trump floats Ivanka for Cabinet

"She's very popular, she's done very well. And you know Ivanka very well. But there really are so many that are talented people, like you," he said to Savage, "You're so talented, I don't know if your viewers know that."

Read that sentence from Trump. This is the same sentence he says about everything. It's so weird.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 01:34 AM)
The poll I saw 65 percent of Americans think she is untrustworthy. She's the best of two bad candidates apparently according to 65 percent. I'm actually stunned at Soxtalk's support of Hillary. I can hardly believe it actually. Smart people on here. I mean I can't vote for either; some on here actually seem happy Hillary is running rather than just preferring her over Mr. Negative SoundBite.

It's not "support" as much as it's "not active opposition that is completely based on the consumption of decades of right-wing propaganda we have long since ignored" against the Democratic candidate who, despite what flaws she has, has almost identical domestic policies to the current president we all tend to like and will appoint Supreme Court justices that will support that. She is running against, literally, the least popular major party candidate who has ever run, who knows nothing about anything and sounds like an Arab dictator when he talks. This is a pretty easy choice for most of us.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
Trump floats Ivanka for Cabinet

"She's very popular, she's done very well. And you know Ivanka very well. But there really are so many that are talented people, like you," he said to Savage, "You're so talented, I don't know if your viewers know that."

Read that sentence from Trump. This is the same sentence he says about everything. It's so weird.

The only women he could name as potential cabinet placements are his daughter he is creepily obsessed with and the woman sitting directly in from of him. To be fair, Ivanka was a Democrat until this year and her RNC speech was something that could have been given at the DNC if you stripped out Trump references, so she'd be a better pick than probably anyone else Trump has in mind (e.g. Paul LePage, his current infatuation)

Ivanka Trump @IvankaTrump

We love this story about an undocumented immigrant who worked her way up on Wall Street. http://buff.ly/17YFLL5 @business #ITWeeklyClicks

5:30 PM - 8 Mar 2015

I may not be enamored with Clinton, but I am enamored with whomever writes Clinton's twitter

Hillary Clinton @HillaryClinton

We know a guy with a binder, @realDonaldTrump. (He might not take your calls, though.) https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/761318151682461697

5:05 PM - 4 Aug 2016

5,309 5,309 Retweets 12,827 12,827 likes

rumored that she hired some ex-daily show writers

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 06:35 AM)
Marist/McClatchy: Clinton +15

Some interesting internals from that Marist poll:

CpDOxexWgAAi6J4.jpg

(((Harry Enten))) @ForecasterEnten

Trump running fourth behind Clinton, Johnson and Stein among 18-29 year-olds in the Marist poll (h/t @dznyc)

5:59 PM - 4 Aug 2016

Please damage the GOP for the youngest segment of the Millennial generation like GWB did for the oldest segment. Double points if he can do it without causing any actual real-world damage.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
It's not "support" as much as it's "not active opposition that is completely based on the consumption of decades of right-wing propaganda we have long since ignored" against the Democratic candidate who, despite what flaws she has, has almost identical domestic policies to the current president we all tend to like and will appoint Supreme Court justices that will support that. She is running against, literally, the least popular major party candidate who has ever run, who knows nothing about anything and sounds like an Arab dictator when he talks. This is a pretty easy choice for most of us.

But Ben Carson said she's bad on Lumpy's show???

I want to point out something though, in the wake of the recent jobs report. 50% of people without a high school degree are unemployed (stay in school, kids)

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/p...eport-suggests/

The reports on Seattle have been largely complimentary because no huge change occurred. But hiring did slow in a boom area, and hours were cut back, in a fashion big enough that it neutralized the earnings.

That means while it may help those workers who have jobs do better, it may permanently cut out the others.

We have a lot of social spending being means tested to work. This basically cuts out an already vulnerable population and would basically push them to a life of living off exclusively food stamps.

That thought is very scary. Also, Seattle is in a boom economy and is doing a better job at building. A lot of this income will be sucked into unproductive housing rents unless people in urban areas keep their preference for preventing all building.

Some more from the NC Voter ID ruling:

The [original] version of SL 2013-381 provided that all government-issued IDs, even many that had been expired, would satisfy the requirement as an alternative to DMV-issued photo IDs....With race data in hand, the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans. As amended, the bill retained only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess.

....Legislators also requested data as to the racial breakdown of early voting usage....The racial data provided to the legislators revealed that African Americans disproportionately used early voting in both 2008 and 2012....After receipt of this racial data, the General Assembly amended the bill to eliminate the first week of early voting.

....Legislators similarly requested data as to the racial makeup of same-day registrants....SL 2013-381 eliminated same-day registration....Legislators additionally requested a racial breakdown of provisional voting....With SL 2013-381, the General Assembly altogether eliminated out-of-precinct voting....African Americans also disproportionately used preregistration.... Although preregistration increased turnout among young adult voters, SL 2013-381 eliminated it.

....As “evidence of justifications” for the changes to early voting, the State offered purported inconsistencies in voting hours across counties, including the fact that only some counties had decided to offer Sunday voting. The State then elaborated on its justification, explaining that “[c]ounties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black” and “disproportionately Democratic.”

Instead, this sequence of events -- the General Assembly’s eagerness to, at the historic moment of Shelby County’s issuance, rush through the legislative process the most restrictive voting law North Carolina has seen since the era of Jim Crow -- bespeaks a certain purpose....We do find worthy of discussion, however, the General Assembly’s requests for and use of race data in connection with SL 2013-381. As explained in detail above, prior to and during the limited debate on the expanded omnibus bill, members of the General Assembly requested and received a breakdown by race of DMV-issued ID ownership, absentee voting, early voting, same-day registration, and provisional voting (which includes out-ofprecinct voting). N.C. State Conf., 2016 WL 1650774, at *136-38, *148; J.A. 1628-29, 1637, 1640-41, 1782-97, 3084-3119. This data revealed that African Americans disproportionately used early voting, same-day registration, and out-of-precinct voting, and disproportionately lacked DMV-issued ID. N.C. State Conf., 2016 WL 1650774, at *148; J.A. 1782-97, 3084-3119. Not only that, it also revealed that African Americans did not disproportionately use absentee voting; whites did. J.A. 1796-97, 3744-47. SL 2013-381 drastically restricted all of these other forms of access to the franchise, but exempted absentee voting from the photo ID requirement. In sum, relying on this racial data, the General Assembly enacted legislation restricting all -- and only -- practices disproportionately used by African Americans.

Sure is a good thing Roberts decided to invent a Constitutional principle of Equal Dignitude of the States and ignore the very explicit wording of the 15th Amendment in order to gut the VRA in Shelby County. That has to be in the running for the worst SC decision ever written for how brazenly it doesn't even really attempt a real argument and comes to such awful conclusions. Hopefully it's one of the first things on the agenda of a liberal Supreme Court to overturn.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
Reading that, I can think of one thing: PEOPLE VOTE IN YOUR STATE ELECTIONS

I live in NC. The state is super gerrymandered.

Democrats got 51% of votes in the 2012 house elections and won 31% of the seats.

Democrats got 44% of votes in the 2014 house elections and won 23% of the seats.

Here's what my district (12) looks like. Gotta make sure the #1, #3, and #5 largest cities in the state are in the same district!

map-nc-districts-300.png

If popular vote could be used as a guide, Dems would've taken the House back in 2012, but gerrymandering makes it almost impossible for Democrats to actually win seats that way. It has to be a huge blowout win like 2008 (and like this election is setting up to be, God willing).

Unfortunately 2010 was a census year... thanks for that, flakes

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
If popular vote could be used as a guide, Dems would've taken the House back in 2012, but gerrymandering makes it almost impossible for Democrats to actually win seats that way. It has to be a huge blowout win like 2008 (and like this election is setting up to be, God willing).

Unfortunately 2010 was a census year... thanks for that, flakes

It's ridiculous how structurally favorable things are for more rural (Republican) people. Senate obviously lol, Californians get 1 Senator per 19,166,260 people, Wyoming-ans get 1 per 291,329. With capping the House at 435 and then Democratic voters just naturally clustering together more than Republican, there's a huge advantage there even before you get to gerrymandering. You got several million more votes than Republicans nationally? Enjoy your 10% deficit in House seats!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
It's ridiculous how structurally favorable things are for more rural (Republican) people. Senate obviously lol, Californians get 1 Senator per 19,166,260 people, Wyoming-ans get 1 per 291,329. With capping the House at 435 and then Democratic voters just naturally clustering together more than Republican, there's a huge advantage there even before you get to gerrymandering. You got several million more votes than Republicans nationally? Enjoy your 10% deficit in House seats!

[waiting for post complaining about how Republicans don't get voices heard over big cities]

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)

This is why, even though states like Illinois and Maryland are gerrymandered for Democrats, I don't really care that much about it. If they weren't gerrymandered it'd be EVEN MORE lopsided. The House was intended to be sort of a reactive barometer to the national mood and the Senate was a check against that. We don't need two Senates.