2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
In large part due to excellent reporting from Mother Jones, the federal government will no longer contract out prisons to private sector.

I thought the memo said they would not renew their contracts or would "substantially reduce their scope of services."

Regardless, the sooner we get rid of private prisons the better.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
I thought the memo said they would not renew their contracts or would "substantially reduce their scope of services."

Regardless, the sooner we get rid of private prisons the better.

Right, they aren't going to extend new contracts and phasing it out:

"The goal, Yates wrote, is “reducing — and ultimately ending — our use of privately operated prisons.”"

I didn't want to start a new thread unless I could do a poll within a thread. But PLEASE answer this.

Congratulations, Democrats. I concede and Hillary Rodham Clinton is our next President against my wishes. However, please answer this question in poll format.

Q-After eight years, how will we feel about Hillary's Presidency?

a.) Great. She will be the best since Kennedy. Or best since her husband.

b.) Awful. She will be a fricking disaster.

c.) Same ol same ol. Our country will continue to flounder, the economy will continue to be piss poor and the world will remain very dangerous.

My vote: b.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
Good lord.

Trump's "law and order" speech from (a 95%+ white town an hour north of) Milwaukee the other day was something that could have come from the 1968 Wallace campaign so not exactly shocking.

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III is the Senator from Alabama who's named after not one but two slave-owning treasonous bastards and is a man who was rejected from a federal judicial appointment in the 1980's for being too racist.

It's not exactly surprising that they think "Trump wanted to lynch a bunch of brown people for a crime they didn't commit and launched a big media campaign about it" is a good thing.

Edited by StrangeSox

Here is a Trump supporter from yesterday's rally expressing his displeasure with some of the intricacies of NAFTA tariff policies that he believes hurts American manufacturing:

User Actions

Follow

Frank Thorp VVerified account

‏@frankthorp

Spotted at Trump's rally in Charlotte, NC: Man holding a "Citizen's Rule Book" and an 8-pointed star w/ 'Muslim':

CqLkvLZWYAADNab.jpg

RETWEETS

5:07 PM - 18 Aug 2016

Conservatives’ Laughable Effort to Blame Liberals for Trump

The left predicted the GOP's white nationalist turn, but didn't cry wolf.

As the full horror of Donald Trump’s takeover of their party has dawned on them, conservatives have attempted, with greater or lesser sophistication, to pass off partial responsibility for his rise to liberals, from Barack Obama to liberal PC culture to Al Franken. Markowicz’s argument has proven more durable than its predecessors, because in addition to being convenient buck-passing, it also feels right. In the same way that Trump’s off-putting manner has seemingly helped to lift President Obama’s climbing favorability, it has belatedly encircled Romney in a halo. Trump’s offenses against basic decency burn so hot and so proximate that they occlude distant liberal complaints about Romney the way sunlight makes the stars invisible until nightfall.

But it is just as illusory to claim that liberals manufactured panic about Romney, and in turn inured Republican voters to similar complaints about Trump, as it is to claim the stars cease to exist each morning at sunrise. In reality, liberal complaints about Romney four years ago were mostly in proper proportion to current, graver warnings about Trump today. Just as liberals were more apt than conservatives to be clear-eyed about Trump’s appeal to Republican voters, liberal misgivings about Romney’s politics were prescient and accurate. And if conservatives had heeded them at the time, they might’ve been equipped to preempt Trumpism before it destroyed their movement.

More at the link, but given what the GOP's own introspective review of the 2012 election found and recommended as solutions, it's hard to argue against that.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
Here is a Trump supporter from yesterday's rally expressing his displeasure with some of the intricacies of NAFTA tariff policies that he believes hurts American manufacturing:

I don't really get it. Is that like a Sharia joke or

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
I don't really get it. Is that like a Sharia joke or

No, Yglesias and others have been poking fun at the 'economic anxiety' angle some pundits have been using to try to explain Trump's popularity among his supporters when the anecdotal and statistical evidence both point to racial resentment as the primary motivating factor.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/731218742294786048

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/755750186983497728

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/749975712069722112

(others, including the guy who came up with the joke, have recently pushed back a bit on how far Yglesias is going to discount economic anxiety whatsoever)

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
No, Yglesias and others have been poking fun at the 'economic anxiety' angle some pundits have been using to try to explain Trump's popularity among his supporters when the anecdotal and statistical evidence both point to racial resentment as the primary motivating factor.

No I got that, I don't understand the citizen book with the muslim thing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 10:02 PM)
I didn't want to start a new thread unless I could do a poll within a thread. But PLEASE answer this.

Congratulations, Democrats. I concede and Hillary Rodham Clinton is our next President against my wishes. However, please answer this question in poll format.

Q-After eight years, how will we feel about Hillary's Presidency?

a.) Great. She will be the best since Kennedy. Or best since her husband.

b.) Awful. She will be a fricking disaster.

c.) Same ol same ol. Our country will continue to flounder, the economy will continue to be piss poor and the world will remain very dangerous.

My vote: b.

Just like with Obama, the unemployment rate will be lower than the Republican candidates said they would get it down to, the GDP will be higher than the goal the Republican candidates will have at election time, gas prices will be lower that what the Republican candidates will say under their leadership they will get it down to, and Hillary will be deemed a total disaster, maybe the worst president ever, more of the same. Just like Obama who beat all of Mitt's targets.

Trump is the candidate of truth. He has turned the corner. Just ignore the lies he told in his speech proclaiming that.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
No I got that, I don't understand the citizen book with the muslim thing.

So it turns out that that dude was protesting Trump so it was some sort of satire. Trump's campaign and his supporters are a living, breathing Poe's law so I think I should be excused for making that mistake.

White supremacist stabs interracial couple after seeing them kiss at bar, police say

“He tells them, ‘Yeah, I stabbed them. I’m a white supremacist,'” Lower said. “He begins talking about Donald Trump rallies and attacking people at the Black Lives Matter protest.”

This is why as satisfying as it will be to see Trump smashed come November, his rhetoric has still been very dangerous. He's making violent racial nationalists feel more comfortable and confident and acceptable.

Here's a good one. Our politicians lie way too much and I'm getting sick of it. Why is everybody so hooked on "Republican" or "Democrat" pride? Folks, all these bastards on both sides do is lie, lie, lie. How are the Obama apologists going to explain this one?? I know, they'll blame the messenger or simply say, "Who cares? We have a better option than that moron Trump."

I think everybody should care and impeach every one of these Presidents ASAP. There has to be some accountability for lying.

I'm ready for free college education and healthcare for all. We're getting nothing out of our economic lives right now in America unless we're born into wealth. America is only for the 1 percenters right now and I'm sick of it. Republican, Democrat, who the f*** cares?? They are all corrupt. Just fix it!!!

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/state-departm...soners-release/

Edited by greg775