James Loney

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ May 24, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
I know this has been talked about, but why no interest in James Loney? He's hitting 333 for the Padre's AAA team and can opt out of his deal if he finds a ML opportunity. Given Jose's struggles and Sands just being meh, could it make sense?

1. He's only a 1B

2. He's old

3. He can't hit for power

4. He's not a MLB player any more - otherwise he'd be on a MLB roster right now.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 24, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
1. He's only a 1B

2. He's old

3. He can't hit for power

4. He's not a MLB player any more - otherwise he'd be on a MLB roster right now.

All fair points. Just seemed like he might be an upgrade for Sands.

Loney has a .784 OPS for ElPaso

Coats, Hayes, Davidson all exceed that at Charlotte.

And then there's the guy I suspect will be the call-up.....Jason Bourgeois, who, like Loney, has the requisite "proven veteran" credential, but with a 1.3 OPS in 17 at bats.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 24, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Loney has a .784 OPS for ElPaso

Coats, Hayes, Davidson all exceed that at Charlotte.

And then there's the guy I suspect will be the call-up.....Jason Bourgeois, who, like Loney, has the requisite "proven veteran" credential, but with a 1.3 OPS in 17 at bats.

Do they need a call-up though? Kahnle is technically on the roster still.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 24, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Yes, but Sands plays the OF and Loney doesn't

Yea, Loney is a definitely "no." But it shouldn't have anything to do w/ the fact that Sands plays the OF. If we get a guy who can mash but exclusively plays DH (or 1B), we should immediately replace him w/ Sands or Garcia.

the Sox have known about the opt out clause the whole time with Loney. Highly doubt they see him as an upgrade.

I'm not thrilled with any of the guys: Shuck, Sands, Davidson, Sanchez, etc. for the role we currently have.

I'm not the guy who is going to overreact, but clearly we outplayed our actual team value early, now were playing worse.

This team cant survive all season as currently constructed.

When you have Garcia/Sands, Lawrie, SS, C, and Jackson youre bound to have more than a few on really cold streaks and the team can't withstand that.

We need a bat. and we need one soon. It's not Loney. Should be looking to a bigger name.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 24, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
the Sox have known about the opt out clause the whole time with Loney. Highly doubt they see him as an upgrade.

I'm not thrilled with any of the guys: Shuck, Sands, Davidson, Sanchez, etc. for the role we currently have.

I'm not the guy who is going to overreact, but clearly we outplayed our actual team value early, now were playing worse.

This team cant survive all season as currently constructed.

When you have Garcia/Sands, Lawrie, SS, C, and Jackson youre bound to have more than a few on really cold streaks and the team can't withstand that.

We need a bat. and we need one soon. It's not Loney. Should be looking to a bigger name.

Why couldn't you be as good at hitting as you are at identifying the problem with Sox 2016 offensive line up as currently constructed?

QUOTE (Special K @ May 24, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Why couldn't you be as good at hitting as you are at identifying the problem with Sox 2016 offensive line up as currently constructed?

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not without green text!

So I am going to half defend my stance? haha. It's a bunch of "nice" pieces between SS, C, DH, 2B, CF -- however there is a reason all were available for the contracts or trades we received them for/in.

It was awesome when they were all doing their jobs terrifically on offense/defense/timely hitting. It's just unrealistic to expect that all year. Now we aren't going to go 1-23 w/ RISP like we did against the Royals either. So sky is not falling. This is a good team. not great.

Frazier, Abreu (although struggling), Melky, Eaton can carry this team as long as 2-3 of those other 5 positions are doing their job at any given time.

I'd like to shore up ONE. ONE total position. And if I am being choosy it's DH -- reasoning being its the lowest we'd have to return assets in for a trade. You can find a guy who can hit and not play D for a reasonable price.

Lawrie is acceptable. Jax is acceptable in CF for his D/avg. bat. Catchers are not easy to come by. SS is alright if you value D (saladino) or leadership (rollins) or can have 2nd half pop/offense (Anderson) ... so I'm okay there too.

DH with Sands, Shuck, Garcia, etc is brutal. It feels like the Mark Kotsay years....

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 24, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not without green text!

So I am going to half defend my stance? haha. It's a bunch of "nice" pieces between SS, C, DH, 2B, CF -- however there is a reason all were available for the contracts or trades we received them for/in.

It was awesome when they were all doing their jobs terrifically on offense/defense/timely hitting. It's just unrealistic to expect that all year. Now we aren't going to go 1-23 w/ RISP like we did against the Royals either. So sky is not falling. This is a good team. not great.

Frazier, Abreu (although struggling), Melky, Eaton can carry this team as long as 2-3 of those other 5 positions are doing their job at any given time.

I'd like to shore up ONE. ONE total position. And if I am being choosy it's DH -- reasoning being its the lowest we'd have to return assets in for a trade. You can find a guy who can hit and not play D for a reasonable price.

Lawrie is acceptable. Jax is acceptable in CF for his D/avg. bat. Catchers are not easy to come by. SS is alright if you value D (saladino) or leadership (rollins) or can have 2nd half pop/offense (Anderson) ... so I'm okay there too.

DH with Sands, Shuck, Garcia, etc is brutal. It feels like the Mark Kotsay years....

This wasn't sarcasm. I agreed all the way.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ May 24, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
I know this has been talked about, but why no interest in James Loney? He's hitting 333 for the Padre's AAA team and can opt out of his deal if he finds a ML opportunity. Given Jose's struggles and Sands just being meh, could it make sense?

Living in Florida and watching the Rays almost every game, I have always been a Loney fan, great glove at first and would be a nice backup for Abreu and is a damn good contact hitter, would be a good fill in at DH also. I don't need to see Sands anymore.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ May 24, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Living in Florida and watching the Rays almost every game, I have always been a Loney fan, great glove at first and would be a nice backup for Abreu and is a damn good contact hitter, would be a good fill in at DH also. I don't need to see Sands anymore.

I agree. He's nothing special, but an upgrade to Sands for sure. Just call up Shuck and send Kahnle back down.

Acquiring Loney for nothing don't preclude the Sox from acquiring a better LH bat later in the summer when the sticker price drops.