Zambrano to South Side?

UC76

I just saw Carlos Zambrano have a no-hitter broken up in the eighth - again! - and had this thought on my mind so I figured I'd post it: Wouldn't Zambrano switching to the South Side someday make sense? After all, he's a Venezuelan. I could see Ozzie talking to KW and persuading him to bring in one of his peeps.

Personally, even though he's a Cub, I'm a big fan of Zambrano. Nobody plays with more passion and that style would fit in just fine with Ozzie's wear-it-on-your-sleeve personality. I've also seen Z at Bulls games, so he seems to be into Chicago and might be inclined to stay in town.

Oh, and he's also a damn good pitcher. And young.

I'm not talking about a midseason trade or anything. Hell, I don't even know his contract status off the top of my head. I just think that someday the crazy Venezuelan might be a good fit with the Pale Hose.

The Cubs would never trade him to the Sox. And if they did, they'd demand an arm or a leg, and then when he is a FA (after 2007), it'll cost an arm or a leg to keep the guy. Forget it. There are guys on the market who are just as good who won't cost as much. And he's not one of Ozzie's "friends"

Passion/Intensity or Insanity?

The guy is a bonafide nutcase.

He'll be out of the league by the age of 26 after striking out on a pitch off the outside corner he'll go bizerk breaking his bat in half over his head then stabbing the umpire to death with the broken end of the bat.

DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT TO HAPPEN ON THE SOUTH SIDE!?!? WELL, DO YOU !?!?

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
I'm a fan of his intensity (although he does lose complete control and become moronic), but wow, you are going to get flamed for this post by all the Cub/Zambrano haters.

Yeah, I figured as much. All I know is this:

Damn good pitcher + Venezuelan connections + intensity Ozzie loves = makes some sense.

I'm sure if he ever did come to the Sox and pitched his ass off, we would all forget where he came from.

By the way, what about Howry to the Sox? He's been solid and the Sox could definitely use that at the moment with Politte wetting himself. Would you be opposed to Howry coming in and helping the bullpen? (I ask because I've heard this mentioned as a possibility.)

Passion/Intensity or Insanity?

The guy is a bonafide nutcase.

He'll be out of the league by the age of 26 after striking out on a pitch off the outside corner he'll go bizerk breaking his bat in half over his head then stabbing the umpire to death with the broken end of the bat.

DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT TO HAPPEN ON THE SOUTH SIDE!?!? WELL, DO YOU !?!?

Are you forgetting that pitchers in the AL don't hit?? :bang :bang :bang

Yeah, I figured as much. All I know is this:

Damn good pitcher + Venezuelan connections + intensity Ozzie loves = makes some sense.

I'm sure if he ever did come to the Sox and pitched his ass off, we would all forget where he came from.

By the way, what about Howry to the Sox? He's been solid and the Sox could definitely use that at the moment with Politte wetting himself. Would you be opposed to Howry coming in and helping the bullpen? (I ask because I've heard this mentioned as a possibility.)

Why do you even think a Cubs-Sox trade is going to happen?? :headshake :headshake :headshake

And I don't want that s***. He's been taking shots at us since he signed w/ the Cubs.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Are you forgetting that pitchers in the AL don't hit?? :bang :bang :bang

Zambrano would insist on hitting in the AL, he believes himself to be a great hitter and is in fact a switch hitter. This will leave the AL team with an option of who to use the DH on.

QUOTE(UC76 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
I just saw Carlos Zambrano have a no-hitter broken up in the eighth - again! - and had this thought on my mind so I figured I'd post it: Wouldn't Zambrano switching to the South Side someday make sense? After all, he's a Venezuelan. I could see Ozzie talking to KW and persuading him to bring in one of his peeps.

Personally, even though he's a Cub, I'm a big fan of Zambrano. Nobody plays with more passion and that style would fit in just fine with Ozzie's wear-it-on-your-sleeve personality. I've also seen Z at Bulls games, so he seems to be into Chicago and might be inclined to stay in town.

I'm not talking about a midseason trade or anything. Hell, I don't even know his contract status off the top of my head. I just think that someday the crazy Venezuelan might be a good fit with the Pale Hose.

His agent is Scott Boras. /END OF THREAD

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Well do you think a manager would take that risk of him getting injured?

It doesn't really matter, it will be part of his next contract. The clause will give him the option to hit in any game played with the DH. If you try to stop him he will eat your face.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
His agent is Scott Boras. /END OF THREAD

He fired Boras. He's currently running with Scott Shapiro and Barry Praver.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
It doesn't really matter, it will be part of his next contract. The clause will give him the option to hit in any game played with the DH. If you try to stop him he will eat your face.

He fired Boras. He's currently running with Scott Shapiro and Barry Praver.

:o is that all true?

QUOTE(UC76 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)

Honestly, I think hes a good SP but I don't want him on our team. I think hes a nut and would not gel well with the players in our club house.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
Says the admin with the powers to do such a thing. :P

I might. I'm tired, but if it's ok with you other admins, we should do it soon.

And yes, I'm too lazy to click on the AIM window we have open to discuss this. :bang :D

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Zambrano would insist on hitting in the AL, he believes himself to be a great hitter and is in fact a switch hitter. This will leave the AL team with an option of who to use the DH on.

The DH option can only be used on the pitcher. It's in the rule book. Unless Z wants to eat it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
If you try to stop him he will eat your face.

This is true.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
The DH option can only be used on the pitcher. It's in the rule book. Unless Z wants to eat it.

Then he'll be eating a few faces to get that rule changed.

Edited by BobDylan

His intensity translates really well when he's throwing tantrums on the field, yelling at opposing players and flipping out at his own teammates...all of which have happened on numerous occasions.

Yes, he is a damn good pitcher. But whoever said he is a bonafide nutcase is also correct. As good as he generally is, his "intensity" has kept him from being better. I can point to at least a couple games earlier this year that his lack of composure cost him wins.

Would I take him? Yes. But only because he's a good pitcher. I'd prefer he left the theatrics on the north side.

Considering the current state of our rotation in terms of guys we've got in there, and our SP depth in the minors, and what it would cost for you to get Zambrano, there's pretty much no chance of this happening.

A team like Arizona or Philly would be most likely to get him if he was made available though.