Sox & Angels Talking; Crede/Garcia for Santana/Figgins

Steve9347

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
In the last update Offman never used the word "close" he said they were in trade discussions that would involve those players but the word "close" was never used.

Yeah, I heard it online. Nothing is imminent. Offman just said the teams are talking.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
i'm the biggest joe backer in the world, but this deal is pretty amazing for our side

How so? Joe Crede is one of the best 3B in the game right now, Figgins is barely a starter and is a slight upgrade over PODS. Santana and Garcia could be deemed a wash. If you can turn Santana into Crawford however, then we are winners.

I actually commented in a thread last week a deal of this magnitude, involving those players, was fairly matched. This proposed scenario is problem, in one sense, because we're expecting someone to overpay for one of our starters. Not put us in a position where we're unloading Crede packaged with Garcia. Even for a player of Santana and Figgens calibur.

Problem I have is if you believe Figgens will be in LF, who's our 3B? If you believe Figgens is our 3B, you can't POSSIBLY maintain Podsednik in LF.

Hopefully, if this is true, another starter is traded for a package possibly involving a 3B/SP prospects. Or Anaheim includes an additional infield prospect

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
i'm the biggest joe backer in the world, but this deal is pretty amazing for our side

What? We need more if we're sending them Freddy and Crede.

Figgins was pretty bad last year, and he shouldn't be considered a big part of this trade. If anything, we should get another prospect in return, along with Santana/Figgins.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
Problem I have is if you believe Figgens will be in LF, who's our 3B? If you believe Figgens is our 3B, you can't POSSIBLY maintain Podsednik in LF.

Hopefully, if this is true, another starter is traded for a package possibly involving a 3B/SP prospects.

Figgins is NOT our 3B, he is beyond brutal at that position. If you deal Joe, our starting 3B is Josh Fields.

Only thing that I would find a little odd about this, is Sox would be losing a decent amount of payroll, no? Figgins can't be that much and Santana is still early in his contract years....

Maybe spin this into a bigger name? I don't think the Sox can sell lessening payroll after 2.9 last year

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
Santana and Garcia could be deemed a wash.

How can you say that? Santana and Garcia were roughly equal last year. We'd be getting four years of a relatively cheap Ervin Santana for one year of $10 million dollar-Freddy Garcia. Santana is 23 years old and would have (arguably) the best stuff of anyone on our staff.

I agree with your assessment of Figgins, I think he's quite overrated and would do anything to get Crede out of this deal and still get Santana. If Garcia + Fields for Santana were possible, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
How can you say that? Santana and Garcia were roughly equal last year. We'd be getting four years of a relatively cheap Ervin Santana for one year of $10 million dollar-Freddy Garcia. Santana is 23 years old and would have (arguably) the best stuff of anyone on our staff.

I agree with your assessment of Figgins, I think he's quite overrated and would do anything to get Crede out of this deal and still get Santana. If Garcia + Fields for Santana were possible, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Because Santana has yet to put numbers up like Freddy has. Not taking into account a plan for the future, going into next year, I fully expect them to put up similar numbers.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
I actually commented in a thread last week a deal of this magnitude, involving those players, was fairly matched. This proposed scenario is problem, in one sense, because we're expecting someone to overpay for one of our starters. Not put us in a position where we're unloading Crede packaged with Garcia. Even for a player of Santana and Figgens calibur.

Hopefully, if this is true, another starter is traded for a package possibly involving a 3B/SP prospects. Or Anaheim includes an additional infield prospect

See, Kenny's listening to you. Where's our Santana, indeed. :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
How so? Joe Crede is one of the best 3B in the game right now, Figgins is barely a starter and is a slight upgrade over PODS. Santana and Garcia could be deemed a wash. If you can turn Santana into Crawford however, then we are winners.

We would have to get a couple more prospects/young players. Not on the Brandon Wood level, but the guy I want is Erick Aybar. Plus maybe you could get a guy like Jeff Mathis, who they are down on.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
We would have to get a couple more prospects/young players. Not on the Brandon Wood level, but the guy I want is Erick Aybar. Plus maybe you could get a guy like Jeff Mathis, who they are down on.

Now that feels better.

The only issue I would have with this trade, is that for a team that wants to put emphasis on pitching and defense, we just made the defense worse by leaps and bounds.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Figgins is NOT our 3B, he is beyond brutal at that position. If you deal Joe, our starting 3B is Josh Fields.

I haven't seen him actually play the position, but I'll take your word. I've merely heard he's capable of playing various positions across the diamond.

Josh Fields as our starting 3B won't work. We can tolerate one struggling player in Anderson, but expecting both him and Fields to adjust to the majors is unacceptable. If Fields IS the solution at 3B, the LF solution should be far more valuable than Figgens.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
Because Santana has yet to put numbers up like Freddy has. Not taking into account a plan for the future, going into next year, I fully expect them to put up similar numbers.

C'mon, Rock, he's 23 years old and has been in the majors for two years. He's been a roughly league average starter for about 340 innings while most pitchers at his age are just getting to AAA. You can't honestly tell me that, over the next couple years, you'd rather have expensive Freddy Garcia than cheap Ervin Santana.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
C'mon, Rock, he's 23 years old and has been in the majors for two years. He's been a roughly league average starter for about 340 innings while most pitchers at his age are just getting to AAA. You can't honestly tell me that, over the next couple years, you'd rather have expensive Freddy Garcia than cheap Ervin Santana.

Oh, dont get me wrong, in the long run over the next several years, Santana is absolute gold. I am saying going into next year, does this improve our club.

This could also be someone from the Sox leaking info to drive up the price on Freddy, or make someone like Omar get a little desperate.