Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
It isn't bad for a rookie, but is that really 12th best and good enough to be a fan fave? That is just hard to believe for me. Either the standards have lowered or Arizona fans are very easy to please.

Like Kalapse said, 3 walkoff homers will do that. Guys who come through in the clutch usually have a place in the fans heart, Mr. Crede for example.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And a slugging percentage close to .450. And 25 extra basehits, which would rate in a tie for first on the Sox.

Oh, yeah, he's a rookie too.

You can arrange the stats anyway you want to make it look good. I understand he is a rookie - jeeze.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
It isn't bad for a rookie, but is that really 12th best and good enough to be a fan fave? That is just hard to believe for me. Either the standards have lowered or Arizona fans are very easy to please.

Not to mention the 3 walkoffs, .450 SLG% and 25 X-base hits. He put up near 30/30 numbers in a pitcher's park at Birmingham at age 21 and a near .900 OPS as a 22 year old in AAA last year. Incredibly impressive stuff.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like Kalapse said, 3 walkoff homers will do that. Guys who come through in the clutch usually have a place in the fans heart, Mr. Crede for example.

Is he awesome defensively? I haven't seen him play, so I really don't have a clue. I love Crede's defense as much as his clutch hits.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
I must have imagined this post then.

I don't know what you imagined, but my work situation and Mark's are so far from comparable they aren't even in the same galaxy. And if you'd like me to more clear, I would never leave Chicago so even further the comparison of Chicago and NY does not apply. Nor should it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
Not to mention the 3 walkoffs, .450 SLG% and 25 X-base hits. He put up near 30/30 numbers in a pitcher's park at Birmingham at age 21 and a near .900 OPS as a 22 year old in AAA last year. Incredibly impressive stuff.

So why aren't you a Chris Young fan?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Is he awesome defensively? I haven't seen him play, so I really don't have a clue. I love Crede's defense as much as his clutch hits.

He's above average defensively with outstanding speed.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know his minor league numbers, but that doesn't mean it will translate to the majors.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This coming from the person who initially said:

I know. You like that?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)

He's certainly above average.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
I may be waaay off here, and this is entirely speculation based on my observation of Mark throughout his career here, but I would tend to believe that Mark would rather play where he wants to play than worry about the rare books section of the St. Charles, MO library.

You sound pretty confident that Mark cares more about his career than the community where he grew up and the people that live there. I wouldn't be so sure.

I won't hold it against him one way or another.

Neither will I. Mark could hire Scott Boras, accept 7/130 from the Yankees, and I'd still be happy for him.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
So why aren't you a Chris Young fan?

Just something about him, I don't see him ever being a great player since he'll probably never post high OBPs. I always thought he'd achieve his floor (Mike Cameron) rather than his ceiling (Griffey-type). The numbers are great and all but I had no problem letting him go for Vazquez and I still think it was a good trade to this day.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
I don't know what you imagined, but my work situation and Mark's are so far from comparable they aren't even in the same galaxy. And if you'd like me to more clear, I would never leave Chicago so even further the comparison of Chicago and NY does not apply. Nor should it.

Not quite sure why you brought up your work situation at all then.

And I agree, I wouldn't want to leave Chicago either. If someone offered me $50 million and told me I could live in Chicago for the next 5 years or $70 million and I would have to live in New York for the next 5 years, I would take the $50 million. That is the ENTIRE POINT we are trying to make here.

I'm not the biggest of Chris Young fans....but he shows a lot of Jeff Francouer (I never see him walking a whole ton, but I think he'll be better than a .250 hitter) at the plate and Mike Cameron in the field, and he's still very inexperienced. He could definitely be a plus major league player.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
I know his minor league numbers, but that doesn't mean it will translate to the majors.

No one ever said they were guaranteed to but those minor league numbers coupled with his tools are why he's so highly touted.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
You don't get to argue for the guy, cause we all know that you do love him. :P

Hey, I like Vazquez. If he gives us three years of a 4.50 ERA, the contract will be well worth it. I just want Young back.

And I'm sure a certain locker wouldn't have minded not being punched. Or my fist.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Hey, I like Vazquez. If he gives us three years of a 4.50 ERA, the contract will be well worth it. I just want Young back.

And I'm sure a certain locker wouldn't have minded not being punched. Or my fist.

Ha, I know, just giving you s***.

And I'm sure the locker kicked your ass. ;)

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
Not quite sure why you brought up your work situation at all then.

And I agree, I wouldn't want to leave Chicago either. If someone offered me $50 million and told me I could live in Chicago for the next 5 years or $70 million and I would have to live in New York for the next 5 years, I would take the $50 million. That is the ENTIRE POINT we are trying to make here.

Because it backs up my opinion. Not Mark's. Mine.

But your point is flawed because you are a fan and don't know anything about Mark's personal or financial life. Your point is not a point.. it's an OPINION.

You sound pretty confident that Mark cares more about his career than the community where he grew up and the people that live there. I wouldn't be so sure.

/quote]

No, I think Mark cares more about being personally happy, his family being happy, and his friends being happy. Certainly, if he wishes to do all those things you suggested, he will have the money to do so.

Let me ask you this: Do you care more about the community you grew up in, and the people who live there, or your own career? Give me a break.