Scott Podsednik Re-Signs with White Sox

Colorado Sox Fan

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disdaining the high-priced free agent market, the White Sox re-signed left fielder Scott Podsednik to a one year, $2.9 million contract.

What to do with the leadoff hitter, whose statistics fell off this summer from the 2005 championship season, was one of the main priorities of early winter. The Sox could have declined to offer him arbitration and made him a free agent.

White Sox GM Kenny Williams had scoured the free agent lists but became discouraged at the price. He instead brought back Podsednik, who is expected again to lead off, although he could have competition from rookie Jerry Owens.

Podsednik hit .261 and had a .330 on-base percentage while stealing 40 bases. He was caught stealing 19 times.

Linkity. Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
This is the smartest thing said on these boards in a long while.

yeah no kidding....guys....we just signed pods for 1 year at 2.9....juan pierre got 5 years 50 mil. and whats the difference in the two? They had exactly the same obp, and pods was 40 of 59 in SBs, while pierre was 58 of 78....so a slightly better stolen base ratio....while i understand the desire to upgrade...this is still a bargain deal for a guy who will still give some production

This isn't that awful of a move. Considering the FA market if we have Pods and than find a way to pick up another speed guy via trade and we should be in decent shape at the top of the order (since we'll have given Ozzie speed).

I also think we'll see Pods have a better all around season (even If he's not my first choice, I don't expect him to be near as brutal and I could see worse options at the top of the order).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
I also think we'll see Pods have a better all around season (even If he's not my first choice, I don't expect him to be near as brutal and I could see worse options at the top of the order).

It's also possible that if he could manage another up season (in his career, he's thus far gone good, awful, good-until-injured, bad) he could significantly raise his trade value for next offseason.

Great, another season of no tools Podsednik out in LF. I can't believe KW failed to upgrade the LF/leadoff position. It almost seems like people forget just how awful he was last season. Does this mean we also don't acquire a back-up outfielder, and go with Mackowiak as our back-up in CF and Ozuna in LF?

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Great, another season of no tools Podsednik out in LF. I can't believe KW failed to upgrade the LF/leadoff position. It almost seems like people forget just how awful he was last season. Does this mean we also don't acquire a back-up outfielder, and go with Mackowiak as our back-up in CF and Ozuna in LF?

What would you have done?

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Great, another season of no tools Podsednik out in LF. I can't believe KW failed to upgrade the LF/leadoff position.

what better alternatives are/were out there? mathews 5/50, pierre 5/45, roberts pot. getting 3/5? bmac/fields, etc for crawford? kw could just be doing this for insurence incase he cant get someone else....

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
It's also possible that if he could manage another up season (in his career, he's thus far gone good, awful, good-until-injured, bad) he could significantly raise his trade value for next offseason.

So he's a position player Saberhagen? This isn't a bad signing. Whether they decide to keep him (and hopefully he'll work on steal % and bunting) or trade him, he's not expensive.

They still need to get a number two hitter so they can move Iguchi down in the order. Michael Young anyone?