Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. What about Ryan Klesko. The Padres are desperate to trade him so they can get a little payroll flexibility and when you look at his numbers this past season they were really quite good (especially when you take into account the fact that he's playing in PETCO have the time). .299/.391/.847 with 9 HR and 66 RBI. The power numbers were startling low for Klesko, but at the same time he's always been a good power hitter. Would anyone else do a Sean Burroughs (Who supposedly they'd deal with Klesko to make him more attractive) and Klesko for Carlos Lee deal (I doubt they'd do Konerko). I'd think it would be worth considering. Burroughs did a solid job at the top of the Pirates order and is still going to get better. Or maybe get Ramon Hernandez, whose a pretty good catcher. Remember, I've always wanted the Sox to get Ryan Klesko
  2. If the Sox added Delucci you have to know one thing, they'd need someone to start for him when a lefty is pitching. His 3 year splits against LHP is .118 AVG, .206 OBP, .378 OPS Thats in just 93 at bats. Also here's a blurb from the ESPN Player profile of him "Dellucci is a little stretched to cover center, and his weak throwing arm is exposed in right field."
  3. Only major flaw in Bautista, who played in 140 + games this past season is his lack of patience. Good defensive outfielder though. I like Delucci better because of his bat. Of course you do have the question of how Dellucci would handle starting cause sometimes players are just better playing a few times a week as opposed to daily. But if the Sox spent money on pitching (starting and relief) added a leadoff hitter somehow, and then signed Dellucci, I'd be more then happy. Dellucci in the 7 spot wouldn't look bad at all.
  4. Of course in 2003 he has had a few seasons where most of his starts came in RF.
  5. I agree with you. He would be a solid pickup, but if I recall his arm strength is a question-mark and thats why he's mainly thought of as a left fielder. However he's a left handed bat and while his average is a little low, he has a respectable .346 OBP and solid power numbers in limited at bats. If he played everyday he'd hit 25 plus homers. The question to me is whether he can play RF, cause otherwise I like Dellucci, plus he can always be a great platoon guy too. I still like Dye though. For those curious he hit .246 with 17 HR and 61 RBI in 331 at bats last season with the Rangers and he bats left handed.
  6. Interesting. Great deal for the Yanks and if I'm the Sox I'd have some interest in finding a way to acquire Gordon. Horrible deal from the Dbacks perspective, imo, since they are getting a bad contract and not much future for their superstar.
  7. They could sign a vet cheaply like EY or another type of cheap vet that could help teach Wilson. Thats the guy I was thinking of, he's pretty highly rated if I recall. Haven't been quite as up on prospects the past couple months though since I've been so busy with school and stuff.
  8. I sure hope they don't. I still say Tracey has the best arm in the Sox system and one of the best in baseball, especially in regards to his ability to throw tons of pitches and still be able to throw the next day (not that the Sox are going to do that). As promising as he is, I wouldn't move him to the pen unless things didn't work out in the rotation or their wasn't a spot for him once that time comes. Tracey still has another year though and this will be a huge year cause if he gets it done in Bham and maybe even sees Charlotte this season he's gonna be right their two and all of a sudden the Sox will have two of the very best in baseball in Bmac/Tracey, imo. But I think highly of Tracey as a prospect as I think everyone has known for a while. Just like I think Chris Young is going to be a STUD. Now if Honel can figure things out, that be even more awesome. Plus I like the sleepers down in Kanny last year, mainly Haig and Rodriguez. Both of them pitched well considering they were on their way back from injury. Plus I like the looks of Orionny Lopez in terms of a reliever. Not an overpowering fastball, but he has a good looking hook that he throws for strikes.
  9. I think Shuey retired. If he didn't he would be a great pickup. Too bad he's type A and your right some of them just don't make sense. Mantei won't be offered arb though and is another guy that could be a nice pickup for the pen.
  10. Very cool stuff. Hopefully the three of them can continue to push each other. Hopefully they are having a blast getting ready for spring training and I'm sure BMac in particular will get some appearances with the big time during camp.
  11. I'm assuming it was as you described Rex. But he'd be an oustanding fit for Washington. They need a good image guy who has experience recruiting on the West Coast. I think Ty and UW would be a great fit.
  12. Also count me in on the Osuna bandwagon. He did good in San Diego and was solid with NY the year before. Should be a pretty good value too, only question is his health. I'm in shock that he's only 31.
  13. Was Nelson injured in 2004? Cause he only pitched in 29 games, which is a sharp drop from his norm. Still he limited both lefties and righties to .224 or lower. His big flaw was a high walk total which could of been do to his injuries. I don't know what was wrong with him but I know he missed August. In April he pitched good and had an alright May but after that his numbers took off and then he stopped sometime in July until pitching again in September. Which is a clear indication of an injury. If he's a 100%, you could probably get him at a mill and it would be more then worth it.
  14. Ya, If I recall the most you can get in arb is a doubling of your salary or something along those lines. Which would mean he'd get like 1.7 mill or so.
  15. Actually last year was the first year he had a starting job. The year before it Harris wasn't the starter if I recall and when he started getting playing time Robbie Alomar came over in what I would call a horrible move by the Sox (not a Alomar fan) not in what they gave up, rather in the fact I think they could of done something else. However it made sense and could of really paid off if his career took back off. As far as 2nd base goes, the Marlins could look to their farm system where they are incredibly strong. I think they have a middle infielder that could come up and play but they could also look at a cheap replacement. They would probably be happy to get rid of Castillo's contract which pays him well over the next few years in exchange for offense and they could fill the position later. I don't think this 3 way is going to happen, but the pieces kind of match for a potential deal between the Sox and Marlins considering the Sox need for a top of the order presence and the Marlins need for some pop.
  16. Thats what I figured too.
  17. Well if the on Dec. 7th the Braves decline to offer him arbitration (or any time before then) then the Sox could sign him on Dec. 8th and not give up anything. However, I find it extremely unlikely that the Braves wouldn't offer him arbitration. The reason being if Wright accepted arbitration he would get less money then any of the teams are offering and it would only be a one year deal. Plus the Braves would be getting good value. The Braves know he won't accept anyway so this way they assure they get something for him. I pretty much guarantee the Braves offer him arbitration, so whoever signs him is gonna be giving up something. Remember, a 2nd round pick lost could mean the Sox use a 3rd rounder on a guy that slides or have more money to toss to a 1st round pick that slides (due to signing issues). And one thing you can say about JR is he seems to always give his GM's and player personel people a good budget on draft choices.
  18. Ya, I was thinking you could almost see the basis for a Cotts and a mid-level for Farnsworth and maybe Wellmeyer or one of the Cubs other AAA relievers deal or something along those lines. Although I personally wouldn't give up Cotts. However, still, when you look at Farnsie's numbers I Think a Diaz and midlevel or Munoz and midlevel swap could make sense for both sides. Especially since it seems the Cubs want Farnie out and the change of scenery should help both.
  19. Interesting, if he gets 13 mill a year that would be a good signing for any team.
  20. Since the Sox pick 15th and not 16th, they will not lose their first roudn pick. Instead the Sox will give up their 2nd round pick and the Braves will get a comp pick between the 1st and 2nd round.
  21. I'd do both, Nelson and Farnsworth would both be good pickups. Once again the names I use would be one of the fringer starters/relievers (ie Diaz, Munoz, Adkins) and a guy like Spidale. The question is how willing are the Cubs to move him cause Farnsworth would look great. Nelson or another vet would be a good pickup as well. I think one of the least talked about areas, yet probably the most important (in my mind) is for the Sox to improve their bullpen. Add Wright, add two relievers and all of a sudden (barring injury) you have one of the best staffs in baseball and stilll a good offense. Maybe not the best in the majors, but I'd say top 7 (without making any changes to last years 2nd half lineup other then adding Frank back).
  22. Here's a question, how could the Sox get AJ. Cause I don't give a rats ass he was once a hated twin. He's good behind the plate and a solid offensive catcher. He'd be a good fit on this club and would fill a big need. Would Munoz or Diaz and a lower level guy work? I still think SF has one big signing left and thats the one where they bring in protection for Bonds.
  23. Haha, thats exactly what I was thinking. Maybe the score was just waiting for some type of validation. I'm assuming Wright is gonna get offered arb regardless by the Braves. He was cheap so its not like he'd get a huge payraise via arb, since I think the most you can get is a doubling of your contract. Also since I Think the compensation is based on a few years play and not just one year, the Sox may not have to give up as much for signing him. Anyone know what type of player he is in the compensation picture? Also agree with that order. El Duque over Ortiz...fine by me. Ortiz is crap unless he suddenly develops control. By crap I just mean mediocre and paying big money ain't worth it.
  24. What question would that be? Because if you were teh GM the Sox would be on the tab for Colon another 3 years at 12 mill a season which would be ludicrous. Trust me, I'm a season ticket holder in Anaheim and watching Colon pitch last season (until the very last part of the season) was sheer horror. You knew you were in for an asswhooping. His velocity was crap too. This isn't fantasy baseball, you can't just bring in 7 or 8 new players and meche right away. You also can't go back in time. Either you say the things before or when it happens or don't...thats my theory. I was for letting Colon go at that price and it turns out it was a great move. Colon at 10 mill fine, although I still hold out that he was an 8 mill a year type pitcher. When your budget is tight, the team has to be careful and that means not going for the best guys or saying hey is it worht the extra few mill for that guy or are we better of with this guy AND another guy. For example, Polanco at 4 mill for maybe 3 years (he may get more, but thats all I'd give him) or Cabrerra at 7 mill for 4 years. Thats 3 mill a year more. That means the Sox could get Polanco and a stud type set up guy for the price of Cabrerra, who isn't a fit for the Sox. Cabrerra isn't a 1 or 2 hole hitter nor is he a left handed bat. Those are the Sox needs and he doesn't fit it. Polanco is a top of the order hitter (great bat control, solid career obp). And last of all, I Don't give a s*** what gets fans excited and I sure as hell hope Ken Williams doesn't either. If a not so great name is his best thinking for the team then fine with me. If it doesn't work he'll pay for it by getting fired, but juts cause the fans call for something (and in regards to fans I mainly am talking about the casual fans cause everyone here is a different breed) doesn't mean you do it. So in conclusion, I don't give a s*** which name excites fans more, I care about which set of players gets the Sox to the series and bottom line, if this team has no superstars or 10 superstars, all that matters is winning the whole thing. Thats what I'll get excited about. I'll also get excited about moves that help the team now and down the line and moves that help the team now. Lets play things off, but no GM should make moves soley for excitation of fans, it should be to make the team better and if a not as attractive name to general fans (say Polanco) is better then a bigger name (Cabrerra) in terms of fit then thats the move you make. Personally I'm perfectly content with Harris cause I like him and I want the Sox to spend their money on the rotation and on the bullpen. In fact my key area for the Sox would be adding two GOOD relievers because a strong pen is one of the most important parts of a team.
  25. Personally I'd stick Bradley in the 3 hole. He's got good power, can hit for average and has is an OBP guy. He'd put up fantastic numbers at the cell. The question is how much of a problem is he really. Usually I take the medias reports for clubhouse problems with a grain of salt. Everett was supposed to be a pain in the ass and he's fit in well with the Sox (clubhouse wise) or at least thats what your led to believe. Frank is made out as a real asshole and I don't know how he is in the clubhouse, but he's a nice guy.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.