Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 12:21 PM) Do you really buy it? I'm iffy. I would think if you really had double vision like that you'd be suffering from nausea and vertigo/balance issues. I don't think I couldn't stand walking around the house, let alone playing professional basketball. If that is the case, then it truly is a damn if you do, damn if you don't. I already feel like with all the griping / hard time everyone is giving him for his performance, its basically like, saying, we made fun of you for not playing soon enough, now you just suck (cause you came back too early). I give Rose a lot of credit for coming back from his last two injuries relatively on time. Even the fact that he was willing to start the year coming off of the bench. Problem is, Bulls front office totally screwed up by continuing to ignore the PG position. Our backups are brutal and when you have Rose playing with one eye (who is also brutal), we are just in a bad spot. This team has to find a way to find a good passing point guard who can play a bit with rose (who isn't the best passing point guard anyway) and help when Rose is out.
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
By the way, if it wasn't clear, Windhorst take was purely his commentary. Nothing to do with any inside info or sources...just his watch and initial (knee-jerk) reaction based upon the first few games of the season. He even told Waddle and Silvy that in a few months everyone might be looking back at his opinion and laughing at him and calling him a jackass.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 10:11 AM) http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12456178...a-detroit-lions The alternative, which involved giving Suh absurd money, probably wasn't the right decision either. They definitely had some significant losses and in Fairley's case, he had a lot of baggage. Front office clearly could have done a better job addressing / filling those needs though.
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 09:58 AM) It must suck playing with that mask. No way he could possibly be used to it yet. He looked really good in the exhibition, but since the games have counted, seems a bit tentative. The talent is still there, but I just wonder if the head will ever allow him to get back to anywhere near what he was. Your 2nd eye provides for depth perception, so I have no idea how he can really shoot effectively with it and I'd also think it would significantly impact your passing ability (which in Rose's case was never a strength). Defensively I'd also think you'd have issues since peripheral vision is off, etc. You can tell he is extremely uncomfortable and playing very tentative.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 09:57 AM) It is his second year, and quite a year it has been. It has been a while since they have looked this uninspired. I mean, if you you are cleaning house, and his superiors and underlings have all been fired, you might as well make it a clean sweep He did get a lot of credit for turning them around last year. I think a lot of their issues have to do with the fact that they made the wrong bet on Stafford (who is awful). They also have quite a few other issues, including an aging Megatron who is a shell of what he once was (due to all the abuse he took on that turf).
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
Bulls tend to play well against better teams. Rose also tends to show up when he goes against top line players. That said, I think Rose's game is being impacted a lot more significantly then we all think from his eye.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 09:34 AM) how is it that Caldwell is surviving this? It is only his 2nd year right? I am going to imagine his time will come in the off-season, but someone needs to stay around. Plus, didn't Caldwell make the playoffs in his first season, or am I misremembering things?
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 03:18 PM) He hasn't been good since the 2011-2012 season. While a lot of that is injury related we haven't seen a good Derrick Rose for 3 1/2 years. I'll believe he can actually be good again when I see it. I don't disagree but I also don't see any scenario where last year he'd have been an MVP (having missed as much basketball as he did). In the post-season he was pretty darn good and had a good off-season in general. I'd expect him to improve not play the worst basketball of his career. However, its a new system and playing with 1 eye (and having limited preseason). Way too early to jump to conclusions, imo (in terms of his play). If you want to just say he won't be able to be healthy anymore because of his past few years, fine, fair point with plenty of evidence on that side, but right now he's the worst PG in the league and I'd be hard pressed anything other then legitimate excuses for why that is currently the case and I wouldn't bet on him being in that camp. I also wouldn't bet on him being top 3 either.
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 03:07 PM) he really didn't say anything new or interesting. just watching the team you get that sense.... "the breakup with the Bulls has begun... i don't know how long it's going to last... i don't know when it's going to be complete... but you can sorta see it..." Absurd comments given Rose is playing with one eye and we aren't even 10 games into the season (oh and he had one game in the preseason...and a lot of the other guys had limited action as well). However, if 25 or 30 games into the season Rose is still at this level, then I wish we could have just amnestied him. I don't think that will be the case though. I think everything being discussed right now is extremely premature.
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
New system / new coach...I don't expect this to be effortless. We also have the worst starting PG in the league right now. Rose has been horrific but that doesn't mean he'll stay that way (I hope not).
-
My/Your Off Season Plan
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 11:55 AM) I think this is what most teams do. You really can only have preliminary discussions. Then he finds out what's available at what cost, he probably has a little idea who's available from the trade deadline. It's really not all that shocking. You have to be flexible. Plus...the market will move. You have no idea what is going to happen at this point. All you have a is a list of potential options and scenarios and probably have ranked things by buckets.
-
White Sox decline option on Alexei Ramirez
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 10:41 AM) Not 34 year olds with declining offensive and defensive production. In fact, I would say, the over 30 crowd is probably having a harder time getting a big payday than their steroid era counterparts. You are probably right, that it could be closer to 3-4 M. I presume somewhere in the deal their will be an option for the 2nd year (if he signs with the Sox). In terms of the market, I agree that in general, aging players are having a hard time getting bigger contracts as people are aging more normally (vs. during the steroid era). Both OC and Alexei are good comparisons as neither was ever the best shortstop in baseball, but both were widely viewed as upper echelon guys during chunks of their career. That said, 3-4M puts him at utility costs (of some guys) so I do think he gets a tick more then that (or at least has some incentives that could push the value up).
-
White Sox decline option on Alexei Ramirez
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 10:31 AM) What do you think Alexei is worth on the open market? Will teams really offer him $7 or 8 million a year? I'm thinking half of that. I don't think the White Sox would have declined the option to save a million or 2. They probably would have tried to negotiate it, but if they couldn't, I think they just would have picked it up. I think Sox will eventually offer him something in neighborhood of 2yr 8-10M or so. Might be a 1yr deal with an option / buy-out as well. But I don't think anyone was coming close to his current option. Would seem that Anderson is the future plan for SS so club would use Ramirez as a stopgap solution. Of course Hahn could have other things on his mind and go a different route (using Anderson as trade bait for viewing him more as a 2B).
-
Manny Acta offered coaching job; Takes Job with M's
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 09:54 AM) http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb/post/_/id/9990...r-venturas-sake seems to me he believed that to be the case Touche. I hadn't seen those quotes. I truly respect Sandy and do think he'd be on the Sox list if they do go another direction. All this said, I hope Robin and the Sox kick butt next year.
-
White Sox decline option on Alexei Ramirez
Ladies & Gents - This was a pretty foregone conclusion. The option was > then his perceived market value. This does not mean the Sox aren't going to try and resign Alexei to a 1yr deal less then the option (or a 2 year deal even). If I were betting, I'd say odds are greater than Ramirez is a Sox next year vs. playing somewhere else.
-
Manny Acta offered coaching job; Takes Job with M's
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 09:40 AM) Dude, Sandy Alomar believed that and that is why he turned down the job. Dont act like this is a forum making s*** up We don't know whether Alomar believed that or not. In fact, it almost sounded like Alomar didn't want to come here because he didn't want it to be implied he was in that position. I agree with everything you said Elrockin.
-
Manny Acta offered coaching job; Takes Job with M's
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 09:07 AM) If he interviewed, you would have to think he has at least some interest. I just wonder what the Robin haters will say if he does eventually get Robin's job: 73-89 59-102 26-61 69-93 80-82 65-91 I'm not saying I'd want him as my manager, but I do think he would make an excellent bench coach. Tons of experience and generally thought of as a very good baseball man. However, if he ended up with the interim job and the team took off, well, then the argument to hire him full time becomes more compelling.
-
Manny Acta offered coaching job; Takes Job with M's
He'd be a good hire. Not sure if he'd be interested, but I think, given his experience, he would potentially have less concern with the lame duck situation with Robin as he ultimately wants to manage and knows he could get another bench job next year if robin goes another direction (and on the upside, he might have a shot at this job if he did well on an interim basis). However, I stand by my guns that if he asks for a guarantee or asks if he would get the job after Robin, that you don't hire him. If you are going to do that, just fire Robin already.
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
After the game, Noah said this, which made me think he wasn't upset with Portis, but maybe he wasn't aware of what happened? I also haven't read anything anywhere on this, where are you getting this?
-
2015-16 NCAA Football Thread
Crazy that a 1 loss Bama team ranks over some undefeated power conference teams. I do think Bama is playing like one of the best 4 teams in the country, so in many cases, I actually think they got it right, but hard to do that when you have a field of 4. If the field was 8, I have an easier time giving it to the better team with a loss vs. a power conference team without a loss.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
Well in the case of Vernon Davis...it really is just helping them in the playoffs...nothing more, nothing less. I understand if you are making a trade to get into the the playoffs but that isn't in question for the Broncos.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
In terms of Cutler and his cost to the Bears, I thought the below is interesting (in terms of where Jay would stand). Cutler 2016 salary cap hit currently places him at #16th overall Cutler 2017 salary cap hit currently places him at #20th overall Cutler 2018 salary cap hit currently places him at #16th overall. These numbers assume that no other QB is signed to a big contract in the next 3 years.
-
Four file for Free Agency
QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 11:05 AM) I'm not by any means arguing for keeping Beckham, but if you let Saladino start the season as a bench player with the Sox instead of as a starter at Charlotte, then the organization is admitting that they don't think Saladino will ever be more than a bench player. Now that may very well be true, but if the Sox think Saladino has the potential to be a major league starter, then he needs to be playing every day in Charlotte and someone like Beckham, who is known to be nothing more than a bench player, can fill that role on the Sox. I kind of think the organization has a pretty good idea Saladino isn't anything more then a bench / utility guy. They were in a rock and a hard place last year and gave it a whirl. I like him off the bench and I like Sanchez off the bench. I still don't think either of them would be above average starters or even average starters. If I were going to pick one to be more average, it would be Sanchez but even then that is a struggle.
-
Nationals screw over Bud Black, hire Dusty Baker
QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 08:10 AM) Thanks for this, makes more sense. In terms of baseball, had no idea bud black was well thought of after the padres run. Black is extremely well respected and a very good baseball man. Excellent pitching coach and even today lots of people in the Padres org say nothing but good things about him. He's a good coach who excelled with the Angels and really failed because no matter how good a manager you are, you need to have good players and to be frank, the Pads were a horribly constructed team. I've long said he'd be on my short list of candidates if the Sox made the move away from Robin.
-
Nationals screw over Bud Black, hire Dusty Baker
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 05:35 AM) They interviewed Black twice. Offered him the job and he accepted...until they went to the negotiation table. Nationals offer to him was 1 year, 1.6 million. He obviously said no. Now the National are stuck with Dusty Baker to pay for their sins. Baker is probably one of the most underappreciated managers. Guy took the Giants to the series, then did amazing for the Cubs (Prior and Wood's arms would have blown up with any manager....not just Dusty)...then goes to the Reds and they win. Oh and with the exception of the Giants (who are a great organization), the Cubs and Reds went into the crapper after Baker left. Baker will do a great job for the Nats.