Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Womens World Cup
US hasn't played sharp but Morgan seems to be getting better every game and the defense has been clamping down (after some early struggles in the cup). I know in our house the cup has been on every day. I also thought I had read an article that ratings through group stage were at all time high's.
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 10:00 AM) Nah. Her name is Caitlyn. No way.....wait...
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 10:14 AM) She actually didn't cheat on me. Just lied and misled me. Sucks...so turns out she was a dude afterall and didn't tell you Too soon?
-
2015 TV Thread
QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 08:41 AM) The Last Ship is back tonight....nice. Not sure how new this news is but Shane from the Walking Dead is going to show up in the Nexflix Daredevil series as Frank Castle aka the Punisher. Was thoroughly entertained with Last Ship (as always...which is a good thing). Curious where they go next though and how it plays out.
-
It's time for a fire sale.
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 11:28 AM) I think everything I said in that sentence was true. While what you also say is true, I would like to stress again that "a sandwich pick and the money to go with" is really a crappy value to get back for a player and would just be another sad comment on this season. Sox should be able to get a top prospect, plus maybe a competitive balance pick (depending on who they are trading with) and then some secondary prospects. If they don't, then the comp and free payroll along with the production this year is fine. I don't think anyone though Pheg's would do what he did so I can't really harp on the Sox for losing him and Semien is what he is. I like Semien but he isn't a starting SS and we have other 2B options. I don't want to go the route of the comp pick because I'd rather get a near mlb ready position talent.
-
It's time for a fire sale.
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:59 AM) Alexei will not qualify for draft pick compensation. They have an option on him that is for $10 million, cheaper than it would cost to offer a "Qualifying offer" (over $15 million last year). Basically, the White Sox are extremely likely to decline his option this offseason based on his performance this season and that will cost them $1 million to do so. There will be no draft pick compensation for Alexei Ramirez. Samardzija is likely still to receive the qualifying offer, but it's possible that if he keep pitching poorly the front office could actually hesitate on offering him the QO on the grounds that they wouldn't want/couldn't afford him accepting. Probably a low-likelihood scenario but worth keeping in mind. Unless Jeff gets hurt, he'll get the QO. He hasn't been as good as we had hoped but he also hasn't been bad. Fair point on Alexei, I wasn't certain whether the option would impact things on comp side and it clearly would. If he hits a bit better (and he usually does as the season goes on), a team might value the flexibility of that option. Not saying we'd get a lot for him but should be able to get a guy who has the potential to be a league average starter (key being potential).
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 11:01 AM) No they are not. Maybe, maybe Fulmer. Possibly Montas if he has no down dips. None of the others will be. Montas was top 100 by some publications entering the year. He has had an injury but other then that he's got an ERA below 3 and a WHIP of just over 1.1. Micah Johnson also entered the year a top 100 prospect on some lists and while I realize he struggled a bit defensively he's raking in the minors and is still a fringe top 100 guy. Tim Anderson was top 50 by some and while he hasn't hit for as much power, his athleticism is their and he hasn't fallen out of the top 100. Spencer Adams / Danish have had their ups and downs but both are young for their respective leagues and still have upside. Both are outside the top 100 lists now but still far superior prospects to guys anywhere near an organization top 5 in 2012. I haven't even spoke of people like Hawkins who clearly still have talent or Rodon and others. This system was 12th by Keith Law entering the season and they absolutely haven't dropped back to 30th.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:51 AM) 1. In what world is Jose Abreu "One of the best hitters in baseball"? His OPS on the season is 10th out of qualified 1b and 39th out of all of baseball. 44th in RC+. His OPS is tied with Mike Moustakas (and Abreu gets the benefit of the Cell). 2. The Farm system will rank right back down at #30 this year, give or take whoever else is having an equally bad year. It was higher last year because of Rodon (Graduated) and some hope from players among Anderson and Danish, both of whom have seriously disappointed this year. 3. The White Sox drew 4,000 more fans/season in 2011 than they're drawing right now, there has been a large cut in ticket prices since 2011, and there will be another large drop in attendance next year. So while every other team is seeing that extra money, we're seeing continually eroding revenues. That makes it even harder for us to compete on an even footing. Abreu's OPS+ is 160 over his career. That would be amongst the top 10 in baseball in that timespan. The farm system will not rank 30th. Tim Anderson, Fulmer, and Montas are top 100 prospects. Our 2012 top prospect was Addison Reed (a closer) with Nestor Molina, Castro, Saldino, and Trayce rounding out the top 5 (Sickels). Our top 5 today is far superior to that and the depth is also stronger. Ticket sales are a very small part of revenues earned. And any of that shortage would be more then offset with increased revenue from revenue sharing / mlb tv deal. And even if you take 10M off that, we are still 50M better off and with actual young and talented players on the roster. I didn't say a lot but far more than that White Sox team had heading into 2012.
-
It's time for a fire sale.
Fire Sale is the wrong course of business. You also have to remember as an organization, you need to be careful as to how you handle guys who you signed in the off-season. If you become an organization who quickly churns those guys, you will have a hard time signing guys in the future (without overbidding). With that said, Shark and Ramirez should clearly be moved, however, you should be careful as both could qualify for draft pick compensation, in which case, you have to make sure what you get is more valuable then the comp. I also wouldn't rush to move Alexei...I'd hope he would heat up and increase his value a bit. The other key is going to be probably moving another one of our starters, such as Q, if we can, to again, target young position talent. Or, moving some of our prospects for position talent. One way or the other those are the types of moves that must be made.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:12 AM) Every single word you just said can be said about this team and I think the farm system is worse. Oh and John Danks didn't sign his contract until after 2011. 2012 to 2016, 5 year deal. At that time John Danks was 1 year away from free agency and we chose to sign him that offseason. The albatrosses after 2011 were Dunn and Rios. I have said it too many times now on contracts. And I was referring to end of 2011 (since I said 3 or 4 years ago and happened to pick that team) and the team heading into 2012. That roster had Dunn and Rios and Danks now signed long-term (2012). Oh and for the record, salary inflation is a real thing in baseball. Avg player salary is up 6.56/yr in MLB since 2011 (or 33% over the total period...3.2M in 11 to 4.5M in 15). So if I take the 2011 payroll (end of 2011), which was 129.2M and increase it by the 33%, in today's payroll dollars, the equivalent payroll would be 171.83M. The current 2015 payroll is $110M. So our payroll is $61M less then the MLB inflation adjusted 2011 payroll and we have one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball (Sale), one of the best hitters in baseball (Abreu) and another one of the best pitchers in baseball (Quintana). We also have the top pitching prospect in baseball (or one of them) in Rodon and the farm system ranks significantly higher then it did in 2011 (in terms of all publications).
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:07 AM) Get off the high salaried 2013. Dunn was crap. Konerko was a shell of himself. Peavy and Rios were traded. Be fair. If anything, the surprising success of the 2012 team probably set some things back a season. 2012 was why Robin got a pass. I was stunned at how that team was able to contend (and generally played strong fundamental ball). 2013 was way too high of expectations and team played about how it should have and I'd say last year was more of the same. This year, we should not be this bad. This team isn't a playoff team with any manager but it might be a bit better and end of the day, at some point, you have to send messages and we aren't going to cut every player so sometimes the manager is the route you have to take.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:05 AM) 100% disagree. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2011.shtml Not seeing it. High payroll, below .500 team, lousy farm system. Sale was not yet an established ace (pitching out of the pen and not a lot of people had faith in him being an elite starter or a starter for that matter). Danks was already lousy and overpaid, etc. Abreu didn't exist. We had more bad contracts and no stars (including a few more years of Dunn on the hook). Now all we have is Melky (2 more years) and Danks (1 more year) of albatross vs. Dunn / Danks both for a long time and that team had no young talent to off-set it. We didn't have Sale / Q / Rodon / Abreu (in the off-season I'd have said Eaton but now we'll see if last year was a fluke) who are values. This team is so much closer.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:01 AM) Sports isn't like a regular job. If you fired a GM for misses, you would be forced to give them 2 month contracts. A GM should get a window to build a franchise. If you went too short on him, the incentive and decisions made would never be in the best interest of the LT health of the franchise. I am not writing off Hahn. He has done good things and we are still better off today then we were 3 or 4 years ago. However, he has to show that he has learned from some of his mistakes, etc. Now hopefully Sox go on some crazy terror and we all forget this, but with the way they play fundamentals, that is nearly impossible at this point.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:53 AM) ? I am blaming the players. Look at every manager's record that has been around awhile. Sometimes they come in first, sometimes they come in last. Do they just get really smart one year, and stupid the next? Baseball isn't like the other sports where you install an offense and defense and call plays. The manager/coach doesn't play as big of an in game role. In fact, it isn't even close. If we saw guys not trying, I would agree something there needed to be done. I am amazed the offense is this bad. I think even the guys who thought this team may suck are amazed the offense is this bad. The defense, we all knew wouldn't be good. The baserunning has been bad. They brought in Vince Coleman for that. Seemed like a solid move, but guys are worse. If, in my mind, I thought there was a 1% chance the reason the White Sox suck this year and the past 2 was Robin and the coaching staff, I would be right on board with everyone else who wants them all gone. The talent level was short the last 2 years. This year, the players, almost all of them, haven't played up to expectation. It's easy to blame that on one person, but it wouldn't be correct. Melky Cabrera isn't hitting. Adam Eaton isn't hitting, running bases or defending. Jeff Samardzija isn't pitching like a 9 figure pitcher. How can that be on one guy and not the guy actually playing? All fair points, but as a manager you are hired to be fired.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:41 AM) But as Robin said, they practice it hundreds of times. There is no doubt that was Eaton's ball. Alexei shouldn't give the impression he is camping under it because, like most teams it will make the OF pull up. They shouldn't, but they do. It's still Eaton's fault all the way. People can blame Robin all they want. I just think that whichever other guy they want to have the job, if they were given the exact same circumstances, it's not like there would have been an extra 15-20 wins a year. IMO, firing Robin, and I don't think they will, isn't going to solve the problems. It will make some people happy, but they still won't go to games, and they will find someone else to blame when the same crap keeps happening. If Robin was fired today, and they continued to play like they have played, I am certain the fire Steverson threads would be popping up next. Every team practices it. What are the consequences, what is the tone of those practices. I don't know, but it can make a difference. No one is saying Robin doesn't work (or at least I'm not) but maybe his style doesn't work with this team. He clearly isn't helping the situation and quite frankly this is 2+ years of being a horrible fundamental baseball team. Yes, that is on the players, but the manager also gets the fall for something like that. That is how baseball works. Am I saying it is all Robin's fault, absolutely not, but after 2+ years of being the worst fundamental team in baseball (with no progress being made), changes need to be made.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 08:54 AM) So the White Sox struggles the past 3 seasons are all on Robin. If they would have hired Dave Martinez, there probably would have been playoff appearances and capacity crowds? White Sox struggles are first and foremost on the players and the team that put the roster together. In some cases, hands were tied and rebuilding was going on. I'd say Robin is the least of the perpetrators but he's also the easiest to get rid of. And I've consistently said, look at the roster he's been given, you are going to suck defensively no matter what. However, seeing Alexei and Eaton, who should still be avg. and above avg defenders, respectively, also stink, is a disturbing trend.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
Taj is out for 4 months. Get better Taj. Would be great if this surgery would strengthen his ankles. Bummer he won't be able to have a normal off-season though.
-
"I firmly believe that there seems to be a little bit of a lack o
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 10:56 PM) “That’s just bad,” Ventura said. “I’m tired of talking about it. They know it. We work it all of spring training — you’ve probably seen it a few hundred times that we work on it. I’m getting tired of talking about it because that’s just bad.” “They need to catch it — that’s what they need to do,” Ventura said. Eaton ranks 25th out of 25 qualified center fielders with minus-9 Defensive Runs Saved while Ramirez is 25th of 27 shortstops, with minus-7. “You guys ask the questions when it’s not going well,” Eaton said. “Like I said, it didn’t hurt. It was a tough play, but it was glaring because it’s, like I said, we’re not playing well. But if we would have won the game 5-2 it probably wouldn’t even have been a blip on your radar. Like I said, kind of a tough play but it’s probably somewhere where I need to take charge as a center field and call him off, but it’s a good thing it didn’t hurt us in the end.” http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/robin-...&ocid=yahoo Not sure that's the best attitude to have about fixing mistakes...well, the run DIDN'T score so it's not a big deal...or, if we had won, it's STILL not a big deal. How does that solve the problem? Just the use of PROBABLY is annoying to read...you're either in charge of the outfield or you're not. "I have to take charge...(or)...Everyone knows I'm in charge of the outfield" not "probably somewhere where I need (not have to)..." SIGH. That quote is damning and complete crap. Thats it, someone needs to come in and clean house. What this team really needs is Showalter. That guy, more then any guy in baseball, is incredible at cleaning up fundamentals and changing the demeanor of a clubhouse. He also tends to wear out his welcome, but he's done a fantastic job in Bmore. But the quote from Eaton is reflective of the culture that must exist (whether Robin intended that or not)...the pride over miscues and the point that it shouldn't happen, just isn't being done. And while it is fully the players responsibility, the careless shows on the field consistently. It isn't just the front office putting poor defenders out their, it is also on players making poor and stupid plays more then most teams and its been a trend all but the first year Robin was here. Is firing Robin the solution, absolutely not, but I think he is part of the problem. Unfortunately the front office and a lot of our roster is also part of the problem.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 02:05 PM) So is this Warriors team an all-time great team? How would they have fared against the 90s Bulls, the Spurs in Duncan's prime, Shaq and Kobe's Lakers? Hell even the 2012 Heat? They'd have got whipped. I don't think they were that great. Record was good but eye test was poor in the finals. I think Bulls / Shaq and Kobe Lakers route them.Heat is hard to say cause they shouldn't have won their one title. Manu choked the Spurs title away vs. Heat winning.
-
Best Coach/Manager in Chicago sports history
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 01:27 PM) Traded from Spurs for a radio announcer to be trained later.from Nah...that was Wennington (or is Perdue also an announcer)? Bill had the sweetest base line jumper in league history, haha.
-
Best Coach/Manager in Chicago sports history
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 01:25 PM) How'd they get Rodman if it wasn't a FA addition? IIRC, Will Perdue was traded for the Worm. I think Bison Dele was the one free agent addition that was at all a memorable player and their were other reasons Bulls were able to get him. This is purely going off of memory. Our draft picks were also always crap and that was an era where you couldn't buy picks (then you got into the new cap era and all of a sudden you could buy picks, like the Bulls did to get Deng (they basically bought the Suns pick IIRC). I also think Bison Dele had some major holdout (again going off my memory) with the Clippers and somehow made his way to Bulls very late in the season (as an unsigned FA). I think he came to Bulls cause he wanted to showcase his talents during post-season and go elsewhere. Turned out to be a great move for purposes of Bulls. Other than that I can't remember a FA doing anything worth a damn. Note: Take that back. We did sign Ron Harper and he had a nice rejuvenation with the Bulls (I think he was coming off injuries, etc, so it wasn't at all a major signing). Harper was 30, pissed at the Clippers, and was coming off an ACL injury.
-
Carroll called up; Noesi DFA'd
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 01:01 PM) My exact phrase would have been "last year he was above average as a 5th starter and below average as a 4th starter" which is true. Unfortunately he did not perform at that level this year. Therefore he's been replaced. I'm also not concerned with the payout JR's heirs will receive. For example, I want them paying the salary of 2 managers because one of them was removed while still under contract in the middle of 2015. I assume you're also ok with that since you want to minimize the payout JR's heirs will receive. All this said, if you are average at all spots, you are an average team so goal should be above average most spots, average other spots and then you obviously could contend with a few slightly below avg spots. Sox have a few > ab avg and a lot of way
-
Best Coach/Manager in Chicago sports history
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 12:12 PM) The Jordan era cap is nothing like the cap today. It really isn't that much different, in fact, I'd argue it is easier for good teams to add talent today (vs. mid 90's). Only major difference was individual players could get paid even more. Bulls for years could almost never bring anyone of any value in. Vs. today's age with the MLE and I'd say it is easier for good teams to add quality players vs. the 90's. I can't think of any major FA the Bulls signed during the Jordan era (after they started winning) vs. you look at a lot of title teams today and they get the MLE each year and can continue to add quality players while benefiting from the bird right rules (as long as you are willing to pay the tax).
-
Carroll called up; Noesi DFA'd
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 12:26 PM) Who do we have available who can fill his roster role? Depends on if we think we still plan on trying to contend. Sanchez slides into that role with Micah getting the spot he deserved where he can work at the big league level the rest of the year and give us a far better expectation of whether we can mark 2B as a position we don't have to worry about going forward.
-
Vacation/Travel Thread.
QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 11:56 AM) Honestly not really. We always took two big vacations a year growing up. One was to the beach (usually Jersey shore) and one was to a historical place, such as Boston, DC, Toronto, Montreal/Quebec City etc..So I've always been more interested in seeing new places and doing new things rather than stationary places. I'm not really a theme park person, so that's probably it. I'm cool with going to the Jersey boardwalk once or twice for a couple hours on a vacation and then I've had my fill. I should point out, I never went to Disneyland until I was an adult. My family vacations were to visit family, but I did grow up in OC so Disneyland could be accessed with a pass very easy when I was a kid. Most everyone in the area I knew had some form of a pass because it was so easy to get to (and back then, wasn't near as expensive as it is today).