Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 10:11 AM) Only on the US Taxpayer. The note at the bottom indicates that the NFL does not make money and thus would not actually be subject to taxes. However, even if they did, the NFL isn't in the business of making a profit. Any excess returns would be paid out to the individual league teams which are taxed or go to the players consistent with however league revenues are split per their agreement. Now if the NFL is holding a ton of excess capital on their own as a way of tax sheltering it for owners, okay, then maybe I understand, but otherwise, everything is getting taxed and fairly. NFL is just a conduit to generate everything and then dividends it out to the various individuals / other businesses who pay taxes. There are tons of various investment / businesses structured this way and that seems to be the fair thing. Would it make sense to tax all of the revenues and then do it all over again. Also, someone will say...well what about Goodell, well technically all of the league expenses are just shared expenses over the various franchises so in theory each franchise is taking that hit and paying its fair tax and goodell's income is ultimately an off-set to their tax liability. Goodell then has to pay his fair tax. Bottom line...this article is a load of junk and is a non-issue. However, I will caveat this as I haven't taken a lot of time to think through this and maybe there is some loophole or unintended tax code item that I'm missing out on, but I really don't see how this is even relevant. Seems like a stupid senator making a stance to get her elected that is uneducated and it also seems like a generally stupid forbes article.
-
Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child
It will be an absolute disgrace if Peterson suits up. I will say the same again for Hardy and the guy on the Niners. That said, the way we are going as a society, we are just a few years from Cutler being suspended because him and his wife have the view of not vaccinating their children. Which again, I personally think is stupid and some could probably argue is an improper way to treat your children?
-
Chris Sale
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 09:35 AM) Right, but you come to the same deduction for the same reason - playing time. Sale's playing time would account for 74.4% of Felix's playing time. Felix is more deserving of the Cy Young because he's been on the field for a much more significant amount of time. And been nearly as good. It would be one thing if Sale was sub 2.00 ERA and the next closest guy was 75 points away with not so great periphs, however, King Felix has been pretty damn good too.
-
Chris Sale
I will go on record as saying that while I think Sale is the best pitcher in the AL, he is not the Cy Young award winner (barring him throwing like 2 no hitters in a row and Felix having a bad ending). Bottom line, there is an incredible amount of value in throwing the innings and keeping your team in games. I realize the WAR differential on its own, isn't significant, but it is still a decent % change between the two.
-
Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child
QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:29 PM) The guy stuffed leaves in this kid's mouth while beating him with a stick. As if hitting him with a stick to make him bleed isn't bad enough, stuffing leaves in his mouth just shows you it was abusive and he was getting some sort of weird satisfaction out of it. Sorry, that's not being a parent, that's being an asshole who shouldn't be near kids. And shack, stop with this "playing to public pressure" crap. They've mismanaged it from the start, but it's been a cover up, not part of some "oh the public saw the video now we must act." It was an excuse to finally take the appropriate action that they messed up on before. It looks messy, sure, but that's not the real reasoning behind it. It was an excuse to take further action. I think in the situation of most of these guys, given the amount of smoke, none of them should be playing. The teams should not let those players represent their franchise. Pay them there salary while the process is looked into and the legal system does its thing, but they should be inactive.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
What he could do to Moss in his prime was what no corner in the league could do. He truly is one of the best ever and I think its unfortunate at times that he was part of such a good defense as he was overshadowed a bit by Urlacher but he was a truly exceptional cornerback who had a long run in this league. The one thing is, corners have been able to have longer careers. Maybe he is able to make his way back. If he was, as far as I'm concerned, there is always a roster spot in Chicago for him. Easily the best Bears cornerback during my lifetime.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 12:46 PM) That really sucks. Talk about a great Bear. Peanut was a game changer when he was on the field. Best of all, he was a game changer off the field too!!!
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 12:29 PM) Rotoworld Football @Rotoworld_FB 8m Bears placing CB Tillman on year-ending I.R. http://dlvr.it/6w9f4Q Tough break for Tillman. As much as it pains me to say it I think the Bears might be better off though. I don't think so. Tillman could still play and we could have always used him in more of a nickel role. Really bummed. That will likely be his career with the Bears and maybe his NFL career. Will always go down as one of my all time favorite Bears!
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 12:08 PM) I think they have to start coming out by wednesday to account for TNF I guess Conte is questionable on Monday with a shoulder strain. All things considered that was good news as I think the Bears expected it to be worse. I'm most curious about Tillman because I'm a huge fan of his.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
When do the injury reports come out?
-
2015 MLB Draft
QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 09:57 AM) I was reading fan graph on their mock draft. an interesting prospect pop up. have any ever heard of a baseball pitcher pitching with both arms? There was a kid who pitched at Harvard (or one of the Ivy league schools) a few years back who comprised of 2 / 3rd's of the rotation, IIRC. I think he was drafted. He was better with one arm but was considered a guy who legimately had a shot of making it and being able to use your match-ups. I can't recall his name.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:40 AM) That wasn't the center's fault. Cutler lifted his leg to call for the ball, Ola tapped De La Punte as he was supposed to. Cutler looked away after he called for it. It was low but Cutler can't look away after he calls for the snap. I guess I shouldn't have jumped to blame but I still don't know whose fault it was. You don't know if Cutler called it or not...guard did tap DLP though. It was odd that Cutler was looking away though and seemed surprised at the snap but could very well have been on Jay.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:18 AM) How about the 4 penalties on one punt? See...my expectations are so low...that I just expect that. At least we didn't give up any big plays and were smart enough to take the touchbacks. I literally don't want our guys to do anything. Only people I trust are Gould and Holmes. Thats it. It is unbelievable how bad Decamilis is.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:06 AM) Both of Fullers interceptions were stellar. the second one he totally hid himself in his gap and Kaep didnt even see him. Last night the kids came out to play. After fuller, Bostic was taking a lot of time away from DJ Williams, and Brock Vereen also had a lot of time at safety, as well as Michael Ola, Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton getting a lot of minutes. Dare I say it, at times last night, our defense actually looked fast. I'll quickly eat my hat for saying that but they did look a lot quicker then in week 1. Might be because we had more younguns on the field. Shea made some rookie LB mistakes (and that is what he is) but also made some nice plays too.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:43 AM) The Niners really gave that game away, handed it to the Bears on a silver platter. All those penalties, turnovers and complete lack of a pass rush. Terribly sloppy game but I still enjoyed seeing all those new faces do well on defense and taking advantage of SanFrans ineptitude on offense. A number of those penalties were because our players made plays. The holding calls on Allen...the calls on their db's where our guys made plays. One particular was a long td pass to Jeffrey had the penalty not been made. Bottom line, our offense weapons should draw a lot of defensive penalties. We had quite a few penalties, both on special teams and on key 3rd downs, especially early in that game.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 08:56 PM) Haven't seen much of Young. He took advantage of a matchup against a backup. But he seemed really tiny on my TV set Really? Young is like the biggest guy on the field in my tv set. I noticed it last week when watching the game. I was like, my goodness, he's huge (very long). No idea what his actual size is and am just going off my eye. For all I know, you are right.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 08:52 PM) Cutler didn't give the ball away. That, along with a strong showing from the D, made it okay that we had a putrid offense early. Exactly. Plus that putrid start had one drive where we started inside our 10...another drive where our back-up center snapped it 20 yards back and put us in an impossible predicament, a drive where Alshon / Marshall dropped potential first down catches, and a drive where Cutler threw a beautiful ball to Bennett, who juggled it and made the catch only to have it overturned on a lousy play. The key was on a couple plays where things went south, Jay threw the ball away. Don't make the turnovers and you can turn the field position battle a bit. Of course with our special teams unit, it is almost impossible. They are so bad. I almost think they should just punt it out of bounds each time. Prevent a return and a penalty...sure you lose a bit on yardage but at least you don't have the downside of a long td run and constant penalties. Uggh. How did DeCamilis keep his job. Seriously. Defense played admirably and did a nice job against the type of offense they historically struggle against. Briggs played well, Allen showed up, Willie Young is a beast. That said, if they made tackles, game ends a lot sooner. Coverage still was soft at times and I hope Conte / Tillman etc can somehow return. Presume Tillman's career is over but hoping it isn't.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 06:27 PM) That's a bad overturn. Yeah...calls early in the game were very very bad. There were a few very noticeable holds on Jared Allen that didn't get called as well (he was far more active tonight..albeit he did whiff on a tackle of Kap late..as did a few of our guys). As a whole though, our D was in position to make plays more often then not, which was a nice change. It has been much better, these past two weeks, then it was most of last season. Hopefully it can continue to improve. Fuller was a total stud.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 05:35 PM) Decamillis reigns supreme. Glad we know we can stop watching right away. People told me I was overreacting. I almost never overreact. Wrong...certainly wrong plenty of times, but overreacting is not my forte and Joey D is absolutely the worst. Opening kick-off, starting from where we did...awful. Then we have the blocked punt...uggh. Only bright side was after that we cleaned a few things up, but even then, our guys on ST couldn't get off blocks to save their lives. We had one punt of net 20 where we had guys getting blocked for what looked like literally 3 to 4 seconds down the field. It was brutal how bad and how unable to get into the coverage area our unit was.
-
Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child
IF this is true...AP is out a long time. One thing to do it once...but man, bleeding and everything. That is too far.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 09:38 AM) I'd probably listen to this advice. Touchwiz takes up a ton of memory, so their 2gigs they brag about are mostly used by stuff you really don't know about or even want. I agree with him on the HTC one M8, my friend has it and it's the FIRST Android phone I was ever somewhat jealous of...and this is me talking...so, that kind of means something. As someone who has a busted S4 (now back on my old Iphone)...I'll third this. If I were to by an android device, I'd probably wait and get the latest google phone...it will have the least bloatware of any device. Just my 2 cents. I don't know how much Samsung's bloatware differs from HTC or anyone elses. All that said...all of these phones will work for what most of us use them for...calls / messaging / email / surfing web and both android / apple have huge app library to provide you with as many or little apps as you want.
-
AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!
QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 08:22 AM) Sale start last night earned him 0.5 WAR. That's a gigantic sum for 1 start, and he is now just 0.3 behind Felix, and 0.7 behind Kluber with 6 and 7 less starts respectively. If those guys have a real stinker either of their last 2 starts and Sale does well in his last two, it will be hard to ignore a guy who has accrued similar amount of WAR in that many less starts. I mean, we are all choosing to not care about Kershaw having the same amount of starts as Sale in the NL. If Sale was pitching for a contender, he'd have a better shot. But right now, not being on a contender, with other guys pitching near as good while on contenders and having more starts, hard to make as strong of an argument for Sale. Both are insanely awesome.
-
Technology catch-all thread
I just put in the preorder for the 6+ for my mom with no issues. Maybe it was...I don't know. Said early October it would be shipped.
-
Carlos Rodon prospect watch
I am surprised Coop wouldn't be the one calling that shots. I'm extremely dissapointed at this.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
We might get slaughtered if Marshall / Jeffrey can't line up this weekend. Seems like a decent chance that happens.