Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
9-11 rememberance thread
http://news.yahoo.com/american-f-16-pilot-...-160215167.html Very cool story.
-
Arizona Fall League Rosters discussion
Sucks. Ravelo must be hurt. I really was excited to see him get more at bats in. Great opportunity for Basto.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:57 PM) Considering the way the vast majority of people use smartphones, that's exactly what a smartphone is. The VAST majority of people tend to text, read a few emails, make a call or two, and browse the web a bit on their smartphones. That's it. They use a total of 4 apps. Don't get me wrong, as a tech person myself, I agree with you. These are things people SHOULD know how to do, and these are things people SHOULD do considering the power of these devices they're holding in their hands...the issue is the vast majority of them just don't care. I'd reckon 99% of time spent on smart phone is spent emailing / surfing web. On top of that, next 3 things would probably be texting, making calls, and listening to music / watching videos. Oh and I almost forgot one other extremely key feature...GPS / Google maps. PS: I don't consider a facebook app or whatever other online site app much anything other then another version of the internet, usually one that works a little more seamless at viewing a particular site or doing something like online banking.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:51 PM) It isn't Skype...it's not any one app...it's the sheer volume and turnover of them...you do this on any kind of regular basis and all the sudden you've got 400 apps on all your devices...then you've got to go through and pare them down, delete them, etc. I ain't got time or the patience for that s***. Not to mention you then need to figure out, does Joe Schmoe down the street that I want to use this app with have it, etc. Its nonsense. I realize people like them and they can do what they want but for the vast majority of the population, getting something that has good battery life, good core laps, and most important, easily integrated and useable information is what works. I could care less if the processor is 5% faster because almost nothing I'm doing on the machine called a smart phone is all that earth shattering or intense. Now a few years from now when smart phones project out and essentially are our PC's and wallets and everything else...then processing power might matter to me more.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:36 PM) Oh but they have to anyhow. When they get their work laptops, they have to configure something. There's a documented process to get everything in most big companies. So whether they like it or not, they'll have to do it. Follow some directions, read it for 2-3 minutes. My parents ask me how to do stuff related to tech from time to time. You know what I tell them? Here's a guide how to do it, read it. If you continue to give people tech support of some of the simplest things in the world, they'll never learn. Don't know something? Ask Google. You're probably just lazy if you can't even do that much. I've worked for several large companies and not one of them I've ever worked with gave me a laptop and said figure it out or go install what you want. In fact, it is the exact opposite. With security concerns and everything else, most companies I've worked with have the systems pretty locked down for various reasons and none have said, here, go figure out what to put on. Now do they teach me how to write macro's in excel and use excel..no, that is something I should know and if I didn't, I'd ask to take a class or figure out on my own as that is actually part of my jobset. When people are busy, the last thing they want to do is spend time on something that they shouldn't. Whether 10 minutes or 5 hours, bottom line, companies and engineers should be figuring out ways to make things as simple and easily integrated and useable as possible.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:18 PM) No I sound like a person who's an engineer and works in software development. We don't find installing apps hard, people I work with don't find it hard, my friends don't find it hard. My mom might, but she doesn't even have a smartphone. You guys are trying to make something that is such a small issue sound like it's a big issue. It's not. Such a small issue...mainstream people are what we are talking about here. Yes, IT people are going to do whatever they want, but that is not the majority of the users of these devices.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:48 AM) No, I'm thinking like a person in their 20s. I grew up with technology, as did most of the people in my age group. We are a large portion of the user base. We understand how to do simple stuff like that. And it is what it is, it's SIMPLE. It's not hard and it's not supposed to be. You're trying to make this about people who didn't grow up with technology, which I don't think should be the case. No...your priorities change in life. Other things become important. I'm incredibly tech savy for a non tech individual but at the same time, a lot of this stuff in the grand scheme of what I'm responsible for and what is important is low on my priority list. What I want is a freaking device that does want I want and makes it easy and simple to do what I want. I don't want to have to do a bunch of steps and make other people do a bunch of steps for it to work (easy or not...I'm not wasting my time with that crap). PS: Out of all the people I know my age, I am probably the smartest at using smart phones and I spend the least time customizing them or doing anything with them. You are talking like a college kid who doesn't have a job and has all the time in the world to tinker with crap. When you get older, you don't have as much time to do that, unless that happens to be important / your thing to do (which is fine, it just isn't mine).
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:40 AM) If it was so great, why didn't the majority of users use it for anything other than another IM client? Only the techiest of techies used it for video chat or audio chats...you know who uses Facetime? Everybody. Even 80 year olds. Ding ding ding.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:28 AM) You made the mistake of buying a Samsung phone. Android does have an equivalent called Hangouts and is required to be installed on every Android phone, but that wasn't the case 2 years ago, which is what Y2HH was talking about. And the idea that having to do a few extra steps to sign up for something is ridiculous. Nobody's asking you to do anything complicated. If you can't do it, you shouldn't own a smartphone. When the competitors can do it without doing those steps and it is something high volume...I don't want to do that extra work. Not to mention, it isn't about me doing it, it is about the other people who I want to use it with having to do it too. I'm plenty smart enough to do it....but I have so much time in the day and lots of things to do...in the grand scheme of thing...wasting my time customizing my phone isn't one of them.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:40 AM) Yeah, his response was logical - if I tackle him they win anyway, so I went for the ball. It's hilarious to me that people can ignore how awful guys like Tillman played but place the blame on Conte. Conte didn't blow the gap coverage. Briggs was awful.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:30 AM) He was terrible for 3 quarters, and then he was pretty good in the 4th. Guy is in a new system with a terrible offensive line and SOME weapons (I didn't say none, but clearly not the same as Chicago). And guess what. He had a chance to win the game at the end. Also it's hilarious you think Jay played "good." According to football metrics, he was one of the worst QB's of the entire day, taking 3 of the worst 6 plays of the day. http://regressing.deadspin.com/jay-cutler-...-wee-1632009572 Yeah as I posted somewhere else, that was probably the stupidest article I've ever read. When one of the worst plays of the week was a 3rd and 1 that was an incomplete pass to Holmes that was a horrible play call more then anything else (nothing Jay did on the play was wrong). We just didn't execute. It is absolutely absurd. What this article is telling you that in a back and forth, overall close game, every play that changes posession is going to have significant impacts in win probability. Since the game was extremely tight (and late in the game too) vs. the majority of the games in the week, it shouldn't be a shock that our change of possessions ended up having an impact on the game.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:14 AM) I think you're overestimating how stupid people are if they can't go download an app and sign up for it. People over the age of 60 are a different story, but those aren't the vast majority of mobile users. Why should I have to do all of those things when it is so easy on an apple device. I don't want things that take time and mean everyone has that app on there phone. Personally I hate having a million apps, I want a select few and only ones that I use and use regularly. That way when I go to click something, I know where it is cause it is actually used. I don't want to scroll through 8 pages to find the watch espn app or check my fantasy football lineup. Facetime and the ease of it is fantastic and it blows me away that the android phones don't have a similar set-up used. Since my S4 busted and I've gone back to Apple, other then the fact that I'm using an old Iphone and am on 3g (which sucks), I have re-remembered how much smoother all of the interfaces work...how much better the email function is on apple vs. google (which is hilarious since gmail on the web is phenomenal but the standard email app on android devices sucks). Bottom line, since under most circumstances, when you buy these products new, they are the same price, I really believe the apple version is less buggy and far more refined. Sure it might not have a few of the bells and whistles of an android but what it has will work and work smooth and be functional.
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:14 AM) I think you're overestimating how stupid people are if they can't go download an app and sign up for it. People over the age of 60 are a different story, but those aren't the vast majority of mobile users. Why should I have to do all of those things when it is so easy on an apple device. I don't want things that take time and mean everyone has that app on there phone. Personally I hate having a million apps, I want a select few and only ones that I use and use regularly. That way when I go to click something, I know where it is cause it is actually used. I don't want to scroll through 8 pages to find the watch espn app or check my fantasy football lineup. Facetime and the ease of it is fantastic and it blows me away that the android phones don't have a similar set-up used. Since my S4 busted and I've gone back to Apple, other then the fact that I'm using an old Iphone and am on 3g (which sucks), I have re-remembered how much smoother all of the interfaces work...how much better the email function is on apple vs. google (which is hilarious since gmail on the web is phenomenal but the standard email app on android devices sucks). Bottom line, since under most circumstances, when you buy these products new, they are the same price, I really believe the apple version is less buggy and far more refined. Sure it might not have a few of the bells and whistles of an android but what it has will work and work smooth and be functional.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:58 AM) I'm sorry, isn't the weapons around Cutler sort of the key to your argument? I would think both of his WR weapons going out for a period and one of them making a costly fumble would be relevant. Dude talks about McCown not making boneheaded plays but he made bonehead play after bonehead play last week. He also says McCown doesn't have playmakers on Tampa which is not the case. When Jay sucks, I'll say he sucks. I thought he played good, not great football last week and was better then a slight majority of the QB's last week. It is a week to week league and the season is won over the course of a season. The key is that Jay's bad games aren't much worse then he played last week...if that is the case and his good games are very good, he'll have a great year and we'll have an offense that can win in this league, however, it can't win without defense and other aspects of the game (just look at how much Green Bay has struggled the past couple of years, despite elite QB play).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:34 AM) How can you ignore that 2 of his decisions LOST the Bears the game? That pick to the nose tackle was inexcusable for a guy in his 8-9th year in the league. A lot of things cost us the game. Play calling, fumbles, poor run defense. Cutler did more to help us win the game then hurt us and I have 1 decision out of about 50 that he made during the game being poor (the pick to the dlinemen). He's the QB and he takes blame and he did but football isn't played in a vacuum and there are a lot of things that if the Bears executed properly, we win that game.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 09:57 AM) Brad Johnson would be your golden boy. Rich Gannon maybe. But yeah, there aren't too many. Still, there are plenty of QB's who have won SB's being game managers and/or allowing the talent around them to do the work. Flacco, Eli, Dilfer, etc. The question is whether Cutler gives you THAT much more of an opportunity to win. I don't think so. Because he f***s up games as often as he wins them. edit: also, all of those issues have been rectified, and Cutler is still Cutler so... if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's a f***ing duck. Dude had one of the best QB ratings in the 4th quarter last year and again this year led us on a comeback drive. Unfortunately it wasn't enough. I'm all for evaluating Cutler but he basically had crap to work with his first few years in Chicago. This is the year he deserves whatever happens. I won't base everything on the W/L record though because, quite frankly, we have a crap defense and a crap special teams that our team may not overcome. However, I expect our offense to be very good and put up a lot of points and Jay to have a huge year. This game did nothing to make me think that won't be the case.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 09:17 AM) 1) atrocious o-line there 2) little to no weapons 3) lovie smith Also, while he looked terrible for 3 quarters, he looked much better in the 4th. They actually have pretty good offensive weapons. Above average RB, Vincent Jackson, who is an above average wideout, plus Mike Evans. Offense isn't short on playmakers and is much better then most offenses the Bears had (really up until a year ago).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:59 AM) McCown looks pretty lost in TB, to be fair. Just threw the ball up for grabs a few times last week and got burned. Did it last year and luckily did not get burned much. How many hail mary TD's / big plays did he get just heaving the ball up for Jeffrey to make some insane catch. Jeffrey went off in quite a few of McCown's games. Good for Cutler too but some of those just insane catches came in McCown games from what I recall.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:49 AM) If you only saw it 1 time, then you were watching a different game. Hell after some change of possessions he was manically calling for the snap with under 3 seconds. We watched a different game.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:46 AM) I dont think Ive missed a minute of a bears game since 1994. You can go back to last years thread when they were talking about re-signing Cutler, I wrote plenty about why it would not be a prudent move. You can make excuses for the guy all you want, but the fact is, if he is going to get paid that type of money, its his responsibility to get better. Oh and he still doesnt care about his footwork, which is something youd think he would really work on. I was arguing your point about a ton of last second snaps and presnap panic, that is not something I saw when our primary unit was out there (and you ignore it completely in the above). It was the calmest I've ever seen Cutler at the helm.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:45 AM) The only time I saw panic at the line is when both Marshall and Jeffery were out and Holmes/Morgan had no idea where to line up. Yeah and it was Cutler confidently barking out orders to them to try and get them in place (although you could tell they were lost)...and Holmes slipped on the other bad throw, otherwise, that was a one on one match-up and while a tough catch, there would have been an extremely low risk of interception. Holmes, I think, can actually be effective for us, but its tough having him so far behind in terms of knowing the offense. Really stupid that we brought him in and then signed him a week and a half later. That would have been such valuable 1.5 weeks and everyone with any intelligence knew we'd need someone cause what we had on the roster sucked.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 07:57 AM) The other part about McCown is that he always seemed to get to the line in plenty of time to make reads/adjustments. I swear Cutler takes more panicked snaps under 5 seconds on the play clock than any other qb. Probably weren't watching the game last week but Cutler was more in control of the offense and the huddle as I'd ever seen. He made one terrible throw. It happens. Unfortunately, they had some other miscues that magnified that terrible throw (including the Marshall fumble...some bad play calling...and Bennett / Marshall running the wrong route and not sitting in the proper zone on the other pick. Oh and I believe the Bills were a top 5 pass defense a year ago. Sucks to lose but I'm not about to throw the season out the window just yet.
-
Technology catch-all thread
I actually thought the Apple watch was the sharpest of all of them I've seen so far. But I might be a biased stockholder, haha.
-
My wife is pregnant!
QUOTE (SnB @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 12:01 PM) This is a great one. I read to my daughter every night before bed (she's 10 months) and she definitely understands what a book is. She'll pull her books off the shelf and flip through the pages herself at this point. Echo these sentiments. That is my job at night...to read her her daily stories. Early on they might not pay attention but just tell the story and keep telling it. Hearing people talk and communicate and seeing the adults read are all extremely important things in the development. My advice is no matter how stressed the wife may get, take a few deep breaths and remember...between breast feeding and everything else..they have to do way more so do everything you can to help. My other piece of advice is don't follow the books religiously. Obviously there are things you should / shouldn't do but when it comes to sleeping and schedules and everything else, you also want to apply some common sense and realize all babies are different (this is probably more advice for your wife then for you).
- My wife is pregnant!