Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. When they implemented the rule, I called it stupid and I still do. Instant Replay and this rule change are both awful.
  2. QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 01:01 PM) HE CANNOT USE HIS SECOND SHOT. HE MUST USE HIS WORST BALL ON EVERY SHOT Yeah, which will usually be his first shot. Meaning you can't just split the percentages because his 2nd shot, by and large will be better, so worse case he plays his first shot 90% of the time, which is what he would have to do on tour, etc. These guys are such good putters, that while I think he'll give up some with the having to make puts twice, I still don't think he's going to miss that many puts to make up the difference cause I don't think the normal 90 is making up more then 10 strokes. Usually (and I have pretty close to a 90 average) when I have a bad shot and rehit from the same place, I follow it up with the same terrible shot. Less so when I get closer to the green but off the tees, certainly, and that tends to be where I lose a lot of shots. I do agree I'd get some back in these scenario, specifically near the greens, but again, I'm not making up the difference.
  3. I took nothing from that article that Locke was involved. Just a very interesting read more then anything.
  4. QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:59 AM) Remember, he has to play the worst of his two shots every time... I would presume the worst shot, more often then not, would be his first shot. Give a pro two chances and they are going to do even more damage. However, a pro on his worst shot will still be a very good golfer. A guy shooting 90 (which is probably my average) is not getting into the 70's with a 2nd shot on a regular basis and I wouldn't expect Els to shoot much lower then normal.
  5. Ernie Els. I would expect most of his 2nd shots would be better then his initial shot he'd have to play anyway, where as a typical 90 golfer probably doesn't get that benefit. However, the 90 golfer will likely save significantly on his putting.
  6. QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 02:27 PM) If any contender wants him after his first good outing, trade him. Get rid of him ASAP. Why should we get rid of him ASAP? He is a good reliever? Seems like there is no harm keeping him, unless we get a prospect we like for him, as we have an earlier window to negotiate with him exclusively for a potential contract next year. Plus, if we are trying to build towards next year, probably makes sense not to completely stink the rest of the year. I realize its one thing if guys in our pen who we aren't counting on are blowing the games, but at different points, if you just keep losing, people lose the competitive edge and atmosphere can be pretty negative. I'd rather the club had a strong finish driven by people who are part of the plan and give Hahn some momentum for next year and reason to maybe be more aggressive in terms of speeding up the timeline (but doing it right).
  7. Why is Rodon being moved up? He'll get his 2 or 3 innings and then the starter will take over. Not really a big deal, imo. Still enough innings to go around for all of those guys. Maybe Rodon moves up but it isn't because of a numbers game in Winston Salem.
  8. QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 11:32 AM) Ditto, although I'm not sure I'd characterize V-Mart as a catcher anymore. And that's the way a lot of teams are going now. Using the slot to play matchups (Rays with Joyce/DeJesus/Forsythe) or get players with minor injuries into the lineup (Rangers with Choo). All those guys have played some-to-extensive innings in the field this year as well as significant time at DH. Ozzie was ahead of the curve in that way, however, his problem is that Timo was the guy that got the bulk of the AB's. I've always been a fan of having a rotating DH to play matchups and give guys rest. Not to mention it means you have more quality position players which tends to lead to more overall versatility and an improved ability to fight through injuries.
  9. QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 11:28 AM) Not very good, no, but at the very least above average, which is a welcome addition. He's clearly a quality contributor to the pen. However, as I've said all along, he was one of the worst opening day "closers" in baseball. I hope Sox bring Lindstrom back next year to a fair deal. He is a guy that works in a good pen.
  10. Friendly reminder. Lindstrom, while better then a lot of the guys in our pen, is still not a very good reliever.
  11. QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 10:42 AM) We'll be an hour and a half away, so we figured why not drop by for a couple of days. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is his favorite thing in the world, and he really enjoys a lot of the Disney movies. It's totally for us, more than him, but we know that going in. I'm sure you'll get some cool pictures too and obviously you all will hopefully get some great memories and laughs out of it (whether it is him smiling and happy or laughing down the road about how scared he was and remind him about it, haha).
  12. I think this thread has gone on long enough. The whole premise of it is absurd. Worst in MLB history? Too much nonsense and not enough good stuff. Decisions can be talked about in game threads. This thread has just become hyperbole central. Note: I am not defending Robin with this closure, just think the discussion in here is stale and full of hyperbole that limits quality discussion.
  13. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 09:41 AM) He was already put on waivers, the Cubs put a claim on him, and the Phillies pulled him back. See my post above. Technically they could put him back on unconditional waivers, however, like I also said, 99% sure they won't do that with the risk since the Cubs (and other teams in the NL) would presumably make a claim prior to Hamels making it to Boston.
  14. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 09:25 AM) Hamels couldn't be traded until the offseason though, right? Technically, I presume he hasn't been placed back on waivers as the Phils would risk losing him for nothing, but in theory they could have done it, although I am 99% sure that isn't the case.
  15. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:53 AM) It's also worth noting that offense faced 3 right-handed starters in the playoffs and a bunch of right handed relievers, with only 1 lefty appearing in the 3 games (Arthur Rhodes). That offense was then pretty effectively shut down in 3 games and slunk home. Am I mistaking a year, but weren't those games against the Mariners mainly during the day in the shadows where it was extremely difficult to hit? I don't recall the Mariners scoring a bunch of runs against us. I do remember losing one of the games on an infield hit or something like that and Edgar had a homer or two.
  16. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:27 AM) The A's have primarily hit Donaldson and Moss 3-4. Their averages are .251 and .248. They have outscored the Angels (#2 in runs) by 24 runs this year. In fact, the A's only have 2 guys who have at least 196 plate appearances that are hitting better than .264. I think you just want productive hitters no matter how you can get them. Like I said, I'm not opposed to Butler, I just want the Sox to end up with a productive hitter. I agree with that, however, I think you lose the ability to be productive, when you can't hit much at all, because I stick to my theory that at some point, you need get hitting to have a consistent offense and to be able to have a chance against the better teams and pitchers in the league.
  17. QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:22 AM) Not by as much as you'd think, though, and Butler is definitely the one in a tailspin at the moment. Also, Butler would have to be acquired via trade. I don't think we should re-sign Dunn, I just wanted to point out that Billy Butler is a lot worse than the Soxtalk collective currently thinks, it seems. By the way, I was just saying who I'd take over the two. Butler has not been good this year. Last year he was good (although it too was a regression from his previous 2 years). He is still on the right side of 30 (although not for long). Question is whether this is a downward trend or not and I don't know that answer. I just said if my options were Dunn or Butler, I'd rather go Butler (unless money was substantially different). I'm also less worked up over the NEED for a left handed bat. Right now I think the focus should continue to be to find good ball players and good hitters. If the difference at the deadline is a left handed bat, then try to acquire it, but if something isn't out there, don't force it. Maybe find a good platoon situation or something.
  18. I guarantee you whomever they were looking at was not a superstar. That would have got some headlines. This was likely a move for a piece that they think has long-term potential and I would probably say a young catcher would probably be about as accurate of a guess as any.
  19. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:13 AM) You also have to think Dunn isn't going to be getting any better, but I don't think Butler is the answer. Pass on both. Moving forward, Alvarez has a lot more upside than either IMO, although Butler is probably more of a sure bet. But Alvarez is LH and could DH/1B. I also like the idea of Mourneau if the medical staff didn't have issue with his head injuries. He's put up good numbers outside of Coors this season, and used to be a beast. Although he is a few years older, it could be a similar thing to the Jermaine Dye signing. I could support that. I also remember a pretty good offense in the mid 2000's that had Carlos Lee, Paul Konerko, Magglio, Frank Thomas, etc. If you have good hitters, you can get by. Would you like a lefty sure, but you shouldn't just sign a lesser player because he's a lefty. You can try to be creative to find that guy. For whatever reason I keep wondering if Carlos Gonzalez is a guy they are looking at.
  20. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:07 AM) The Sox also have plenty of right handed hitting. The call has been to make sure the Sox have a left handed bat. Why would they bring in Butler if they need a left handed bat? I'm not opposed to Butler and agree he's been a better player the past 4 years, but, production wise, it's remarkably similar the past 2 years, so the sample you use comes into play here. I've said it many times but your offense is going to struggle mightily when the run producer in the middle hits under .230. Butler will not do that and while we could use a lefty, I'd rather have good hitters then nothing. Billy Butler on this team is an upgrade over Adam Dunn. Is he a FA? If Sox made a move for him, they'd have to think he would rebound though because he has been flat out mediocre this year. So given the choice of Adam Dunn or Billy Butler for next year at DH, I'm taking Billy Butler. Now if money is significantly different you might get another answer but under zero scenario do I want Dunn around. Guy is a loser.
  21. People...MLB does not have the power to cover this up. The information is in the hands of the DA's office, not MLB. At some point these names are going to come out and MLB has no authority to stop it.
  22. Sorry, Butler has been a better player then Dunn the past 4 seasons. This year Butler has had a down year though but Butler is a much more complete player then Dunn at the plate. Butler is actually capable of hitting good pitching, something I have pretty much zero faith in Dunn doing.
  23. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:50 PM) Supposedly the "Best steak on the planet" might well be Peter Lugar's, just below the Brooklyn Bridge. I have not been. You're unlikely to go wrong finding any hole in the wall nearby wherever you are. If it's been open in NYC for a while there's a reason why. I did that several times and was quite content with the results each time. I don't like places that don't have prices on their menu, haha. I've heard of Lugars and I am tempted. On 2nd thought, they don't accept credit card. Count me out. I am not carrying that much cash to NY. Is there anyplace where I can get the best kokolash and crab juice around? If I'm daring, I might even try the Mountain Dew. Homer 1...New York City 0.
  24. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:34 PM) Seriously? I mean like you're actually asking this? You kinda need some specifics. But really, let's face it, you're in perhaps the cooking capital of the world. Make yourself a list of things you want to try, either cuisine types, costs, celebrity chefs, local places, or places around wherever you're working, and you're not going to go wrong. Walking 1/4 of Manhattan is like walking across Chicago in terms of the number of places you're passing. I'm looking for good hole in the wall places to try, which I know NY is a mecca of. Basically, just want to see if someone has a, you have to go here for breakfast or must have pizza from here or best steak in the planet or best manhattan clam chowder ever. I've been to NY before but Lombardi's was about the only place I can remember that I specifically tried that is pretty well known. We are fare game for cuisine. Wife has never been to NYC.
  25. The National League (NL) was the first of the two major leagues to adopt the trade deadline rule in 1917. Originally it was enforced after June 15, but was later changed as the result of a new collective bargaining agreement.[8] For many years, players could not be traded from one league to another without being waived by all of the teams in the trading team's league. Then an inter-league trading period was established, centered on the winter baseball meetings in December. Later, there were two "inter-league" trading periods each year, one from after the World Series until mid-December and the second from a week before spring training began until March 15. So intent were leagues on keeping their stars from being moved from one league to the other, that then-National League President Warren Giles threatened to keep NL clubs from trading major stars to the American League after the deal that sent Frank Robinson from Cincinnati to Baltimore.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.