Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:16 PM) Lets not forget it was just 2 years ago that Kirk shot 39% from beyond the arc. He's had Alex Rios syndrome the last few years. 13-35% 12-39% 11-34% 10-38/42%....Even his bad years beyond the arc aren't THAT bad. When he and Rose are on the floor together all he really needs to be is a 3 point shooter. If he can shoot ~37% from 3 he'd be adding to the offense. If he's put in the position to do more then they could be in some trouble. Oh and play premium defense. Real Plus or Minus was also really poor on DJ Augustin. By the way, Rose is not a bad defensive pg. Not sure where that came from. I wouldn't call him great, but he's a solid defensive player for his position, if not slightly above average (or at least was). I'm excited to watch some of the US practices that will be televised in a week or so.
  2. QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:43 AM) As of today, the Sox would have the #14 pick. I expect that they will probably end up in the 9-10 range. It would be nice if the Sox could pick up a supplemental pick at the trade deadline this season. By supplemental pick, do you mean international pool slotting? I thought you could only trade competitive balance picks and the like? Am I mistaken?
  3. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:31 AM) I guess we're agreeing to disagree, even though it's basically by how much better he would be outside of Coors. I also think he'd stay healthier outside of thin air and with a better training staff, but I can't obviously can't prove that. The bottom line is that I think he can put up that .825-.850 OPS while staying relatively healthy, and you and Jason don't. I still wouldn't make the move unless the Rockies kicked in about $8-11 million to make it a more feasible contract for the Sox, and even then it would depend upon what else is being given up. It'd be a difficult move to make with all the conditions that would have to be met. I've never heard of the thin air leading to injuries.
  4. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:07 AM) He has only played more than 135 games once in his career. I already showed you his career splits. Yes, he was great last year on the road. This year, he's been Tyler Flowers minus the 7 for 7. An over 200 point difference for a career is pretty unheard of just being the product of being at home. I think Yaz has the biggest home/away split in the HOF, and it's nowhere near Gargo's. I agree with you. The risk / reward doesn't seem all that good, especially when you factor in the health issues.
  5. QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 06:46 PM) Mark Appel over Kris Bryant is looking worse and worse by the day. Bryant on pace for 57 homers over a 162 game season. I remember when some people said Bryant didn't deserve to be a high pick (I think there were a few posters on here) and I was like are you crazy.
  6. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:40 AM) My Noah+ trade offer doesn't seem so silly now does it. This isn't for a rental, Love has already said he'd resign in Cleveland and he's a Cali guy who would resign in GS as well. Those teams lost all their leverage when he said that. Teams are getting a 25 year old top 5-10 player in the league who WILL be with whatever team trades for him for quite some time. It's a little different from than say the Dwight Howard trade. I never called it silly. I was for it as long as we could land another star.
  7. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:34 AM) They clear a max contract when a guy reaches free agency in 2 seasons if they can't win a title. You just think Lebron is bailing? I don't think so. He even talked about in his letter how he was in it to win 1 title (I'm sure he wants more) but he knew it would be a long-term move and play. He's waiting 2 years to get a fatter contract, unless of course, the next two years are total disasters, but if they are, it probably means something has happened to Lebron. Giving up Bennett, Wiggins, and a future 1st is just not a smart long-term move, imo. You need to have a good defense to win a title, imo, and they will not have that with their planned construction.
  8. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:32 AM) Trading stars in the NBA for a package of non star players rarely works out for the team giving up the star, going back to the Bucks trading Kareem. That is why this is such a unique situation. Never have I seen a star generate such fair trade value in return. I can understand the Warriors offer but Cavs are offering up a lot of flexibility and two very high upside guys. They could potentially get the better deal, which is pretty much unheard of in this type of trade.
  9. QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 05:47 PM) With what Wiggins has shown in summer league, I'm not trading him for Love. I'm prob in minority though. A poll of GM's and Assistant Gm's indicated you were not in the minority. It was a smallish sample size though. The majority said they'd rather have Wiggins then Love (probably factors in contract as well). I hope the Cavs make that deal. Will really hinder their flexibility going forward and prevent them from being a good an above average defensive team, imo.
  10. QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 09:17 AM) Golden State has to be dead at this point. They can't match Cleveland with Wiggins on the table. When losing a superstar like Love, this is a dream come true scenario for them. There are posters on here who will cry why didn't the Bulls make this trade. It is absurd how much teams are going to give up for Love.
  11. QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 03:06 PM) Yeah and wasn't hinroch SO awesome in the playoffs? Nate Robinson won that series with nets along with noah and was reason we stole game 1 vs Heat Hinrich's career playoff numbers are actually > then his career regular season numbers.
  12. QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 12:57 PM) You are right, for less money, Nate and DJ only offered us more ppg, more assists per game, better FG% and better 3pt FG%, and only slightly less steals and rebounds than Kirk Hinrich the past two years. Also Kirk sucks at free throws. DJ's defensive ratings were pretty horrific.
  13. QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 10:45 AM) While true, I'd still take Nate over Hinrich and DJ over Hinrich. The problem is Hinrich. I'll already take Aaron over Hinrich. Hinrich has gotten significant minutes everywhere he has played with multiple coaches. We have one of the best head coaches in the league and he clearly values Hinrich. DJ was absolutely atrocious defensively. I liked DJ and was appreciative of what he did and wanted him back, but I'm perfectly fine with Brooks and I always wanted Hinrich + DJ or a guy like Brooks. Hinrich is important because when you can limit his minutes, his efficiency will increase and he is capable of playing the 2 allowing Rose to play off the ball without hurting your defense.
  14. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 06:59 AM) Troy Tulowitzki, home versus away: .323/.397.565/.962 vs .274/.349/.469/.818 That's a hall of famer versus a merely good hitter. Coors has a large effect, but players will always perform better at home on average. I would imagine that Gonzalez would end up as a .825-.850 OPS, 120-130 wRC+ type of player. 20M per season for a potential .825 - .850 OPS seems like overspend. I guess technically it is 16 or 17 and scaling upwards but still. There is a lot of risk getting Car Go, although the tools are definitely nice.
  15. QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 03:36 PM) I actually think it's a very valid question - is Konerko the worst baserunner of all time or just one of the worst? Well, he's the worst. I think there is a difference between foot speed and baserunning. Yes, he is inherently slow and that means he will clog the bases, however, does that mean he gets bad reads / jumps, etc? No, no necessary correlation there. These stats are pretty much completely worthless and obvious.
  16. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:18 PM) Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1m Team officials guesstimated this week that if Brady Aiken was a free agent, he'd get something in the range of $30m-$40m. What a system. I wonder if he would really get that much money. If I were the Sox, I'd go in the 15-20M range no problem. Of course, I even question whether teams would do that as you might set a pretty poor precedent to the other players in the organization who were unable to get around those rules. If you look at what Loux signed for when he was a FA, it wasn't huge money, something like $300K when he was a 1st round pick.
  17. QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 12:28 PM) Depends. What if in the fourth the only lineup that Thibs trusts is Rose Kirk Jimmy Taj Noah *shudders* That is still a lot better then the team that scored 68.
  18. QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 11:12 AM) Sorry, not buying it. Part of the reason why 2000s LeBron/Cavs were so good (at least in the regular season) was that they were a really good defensive team with the best 2 way player in LeBron. What made the Heat great the first three years was the fact they had three legit offensive stars along with being among the best defensive teams when they wanted to be. This Cavs team has alot of offensive power with LeBron/Love/Kyrie but on paper, that's an awful defense. They can certainly score but other teams will score on them too. What I like about that team is, we have defensive people at the right positions for that potential match-up and should be able to take advantage of the weak defense at some of those positions.
  19. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 07:19 AM) Just cuz it's Friday and it's fun to go back into time, DirtySox is the first person I see to make a mention at all: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t&p=2168667 EDIT: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...7853&st=150 You just can't beat immediate reactions. I was pretty smart. I was touting Harvey over the other pitchers. Not too shabby. I'll take Sale. Edit: Of course I made lots of stupid comments too. Funny how one of the guys highly talked about, Stetson Allie, who had a huge arm, ended up being drafted by the Bucco's as a position player.
  20. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 08:02 AM) HOF voters loves playoff success and awesome as 2005 was, other than that he was one inning of relief and one bad start to show for on his playoff resume, that's it. That was in the series, he threw a complete game against the Angels. He has a no-hitter and a perfect game and when you look at his innings pitched, consecutive seasons with 10 or more wins, etc, and all of a sudden he joins some extremely elite company on those lists. We also have to remember in this day and age, it is extremely unlikely, imo, that we'll see really anyone else get to that vaunted 300 win number (is there anyone else with even a shot at it other then Buehrle, currently?), so if he can get even close to it, it will be impressive given the era he pitched in.
  21. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 07:55 AM) I bet Krush has a very identifiable strike and out call. We have an awesome ump at AH, an older black guy who has a rollie fingers curly mustache. He yells "THAT....IS A STRIKE" and points in the air when he calls a strike, and does an emphatic out call on the bases. And he is a really good active ump, so his antics dont really rub people the wrong way I can just picture Krush practicing his ejections at home in the mirror. What's that...you want to challenge the call....your out of here!
  22. Does anyone have a ticket connection for Bears games? I'm looking for 2 seats to the Bears / Niners game in San Fran. I was hoping to get lucky on individual pricing and am not looking to spend an arm and a leg (so the stub hub method doesn't work...since its home opener in a new stadium). Looking for at or near face and am hoping someone somehow has a connection and would hook it up. I'd be forever grateful!!!
  23. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 07:44 AM) In the modern age stats have become so much more important to the Hall of Fame, I think Mark has less of a shot than ever, unless he can stick around and win 300 games. He's in my HOF, but the only way he is going to Cooperstown is with a ticket. This is why I think you have to look at both. I think he's a borderline HOFer but he needs to get to 275. 300 and he is a shoe in, but if he can somehow stick around and win another 80 or so games to get to 275, I Think that is a pretty strong argument.
  24. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 06:04 PM) Well Gage in this case I will defer to you as the expert, guess I was mistaken. I figure in a week or so, something will come out and I'll be the one with egg on my face, haha. It will turn out whatever it was, wasn't material enough to warrant inclusion in the financial statements or something cause TWC are just ballas. I did find it interesting that this morning I got in my car, turned on the radio, and there was a long add from TWC slamming DirectTV for not negotiating, etc. At this point, I would think TWC has almost zero leverage. When DirectTV has something...they have so much more power then a cable provider because 90+% of the population can get a sattelite signal from where they live. However, even if I wanted TWC, if I don't live in an area that has it (or one of the other companies it owns), I am completely out of luck. I get a kick when people in the media on local radio keep talking about how fans should just switch. Its like...hello, yes that works if you have DirectTv and live in an area with TWC owned cable but if you aren't, you are out of luck. And I don't know how much of LA has TWC as an option but where I live in South Orange County I don't think anyone can get TWC (maybe some small pocket) but everything here is pretty much Cox controlled and they have no reason to negotiate with TWC and pay big money (nor do the other cable providers) until an alternative like DirectTV or DishNetwork has the service, cause only then, will they be at threat of losing customers. Note: The alternative is TWC, if they really wanted to stick it to Direct, could put some pressure by making it widely available on cable providers networks at beneficial pricing and thus put the pressure on Direct. However, I don't know if that is a good move cause they'd likely be locking in some mega losses (although I can't see how they could possibly recoup as it is, having lost 6 months of the season). I think I heard (and haven't fact checked this so I might be wrong) that there were similar problems with the Yes network in its original year as well (where it took almost a full season until all of the major carriers had picked it up).
  25. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 05:15 PM) To save JR $13 million? Firsts had to he offered. LOL...so true.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.