Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
GOP Primaries/Candidates thread
No talk about Mike Huckabee's second place finish in the strawpoll or his stupid ass "fair tax" program?
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 04:13 PM) You went to Texas in August...? Willingly? If so, you're the crazy one. All thought I will say a few days like that will explain a lot about Texans. Think of the old scrambled eggs/drugs commericials
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 08:38 AM) Not every place does that. I was listening to someone in line ask around if the store we were in does the "instant thingy" or the "regular way". Yes, not everywhere has invested in the technology, but it is something to be aware of. And at $25 or more of fines for overdraft on each occurence, it is an expensive lesson to learn.
-
Andy Sisco
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:57 PM) His development was really cut short when he was selected in the rule V. Lucky for him he caught fire and pitched very well for a good chunk of the time with the Royals but the reality is this is a kid that really never got time to work and really develop into a good major league pitcher (he does have a major league arm though). I really hope he's worked on his strides as Sisco was a guy who would always finish his stride (as part of his delivery) in a new place every pitch and that in itself is going to make it awfully freaking tough to throw strikes consistently. I could really understand Andy's problems being a result of stunted developement, especially when you start to look at the funky delivery he has, and how physically big he is. That is a lot of body to have in the right place, at the right time. Plus if he never got his innings, not only has he not learned his mechanics, but he probably never had a grip on staying in his arm slot consistantly, and mastery of his secondary pitches. All of that is stuff is why I wanted to see Andy pitch as a starter all year in Charlotte, but it just didn't happen. Even if he doesn't make it with us, I could see Sisco being a late bloomer somewhere.
-
GOP Primaries/Candidates thread
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 09:52 AM) Looking at the top 4 - Clinton, Obama, Edwards, Richardson - I think you are only 50% right. Clinton and Edwards are pretty worthless, they are definitely retreads, and they are manifestly dishonest. But, like him or not, Obama does in fact bring a new approach and attitude to the table, and he is indeed a new face. And Richardson has, more so than any candidate in either party, a Presidential resume. So I personally think there is some value in those candidates' presence. Obama is in trouble because he is having problems explaining his ideas in 30 second sound bites. I think explained out some of his positions make sense, but broken down for TV news, the Clinton Machine is just making him look terrible. Richardson doesn't have a chance to get any TV time, which means he doesn't have a chance.
-
Bobby Jenks...
QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 05:53 PM) This streak has to be one of the hardest to achieve. After all these years of baseball, and the record is only 41. Then to do it in today's day and age makes it even more amazing. Bobby has had to be perfect every batter for 41 straight (no hits, no walks, no HBP, no balks, no passed balls, no reached on error, no sacrifices, etc). That is actually unbelievable when you think about it. I wonder how many pitches Bobby has thrown during this streak, and whether that could be another record of sorts (ie. 200 pitches without a baserunner). Great post. This streak is just incredible, and its too bad that Bobby isn't getting slobbered over because of it. Congrats big man!
-
Jose Contreras
QUOTE(GreenSox @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 09:16 AM) If he finds his form, he still isn't worth $10 mill a year, when the Sox have glaring holes at short and in the OF. Dump him for salary. You are half right... If he finds his form he is worth way more than $10 million a year. QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 12:16 AM) After only one Contreras start this season, I started a thread asking if his effective career was over. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but toot toot. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=57807&st=0 And the first lemming award goes to...
-
GOP Primaries/Candidates thread
QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 09:11 PM) Not really familar with his politics, just wondering then why he cares about the GOP race then.... He just likes the GOP bad news...
-
Andy Sisco
It will be interesting to see what the deal is with Sisco. Is he a guy who can't relieve, or is he a guy who just never developed because he never got to pitch enough? The way he has rounded into form, I think I am leaning towards #2. The way he has looked as a starter, I bring him into camp as a starting pitcher and give him a chance to win the #5 spot. (one of Vaz, Garland, or Contreras will be dealt in the offseason, I think) If Andy can't win the job as a starter, send him back to Charlotte as the closer and see if he can do that. If he still can't relieve down there, you know he will have to be a starter.
-
Jose Contreras
Hawk really seems to think his problem is that he is dropping down too often and isn't getting the power he generates from being straight over the top. Judging by his last two outings in relief, he might be right.
-
And That's a White Sox Loser
First pitch strike was non-exsistant tonight for Floyd. Plus it didn't help that the Sox blew a few chances early to get some runs. The middle of the order was just pointless today. It was great to see Josh with the bomb off of Putz, and Jose was just great after he got loose. Contreras will be making the next start in Floyds spot if I were a betting man.
-
Interesting Quote on Dye
I think if the Sox thought he was going to walk away, they would have took Hansen and Pena for him. I know some people would rather have the draft picks, but with the Sox drafting his story versus the way that they scout other teams minor league players, I think I would rather have the players.
-
Cubs claim Podsednik; Pods still here (for now)
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:59 PM) Yep, he went 1-4 on Friday (which was his first game back). If he is ready to go, ship Pods ass out of here and get him in the line up. He is another one that we need to find out if he fits into our future plans or not.
-
Cubs claim Podsednik; Pods still here (for now)
Is Sweeney playing again yet?
-
Position Switch
QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 06:31 PM) Hey, I've got an idea... Let's draft and develop a shortstop who can play in the majors! That's a great idea. Now what do we do for the next 3 to 5 years?
-
Fernando Cabrera
I'd have interest in Cabrera. You can't teach that kind of arm.
-
Is the ozzie bashing getting old?
QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 02:09 PM) Lynch mob smartasses? When people can provide some reasonable content, like 29thandPoplar, we can have reasonable discussion/debate. [ If only you knew... Two things. I was far from the first smartassed comment in this thread, but I am sure you wouldn't go back and give smartassery to anyone who disagreed with you. Two, it isn't just one critisizm of Guillen. If I went back and pulled up every mindless critizism of Ozzie my kids would be in college by the time I was done. If you think this is a one time thing, you are kidding yourself worse than I thought.
-
Is the ozzie bashing getting old?
QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:58 PM) No way -- in the whole series? I think Martinez' career of suck behind homeplate and his general long throwing motion, AND having Jerry Owens on first, AND having Joe Borowski on the mound is a little more relevant, but maybe you're right -- maybe V-Mart is, in fact, Johnny Bench, based on three games. Yeah I forgot Ozzie doesn't know a thing. He is the biggest idiot to ever win a World Series, and all of the people who have never managed before know way more. This is exactly why no one bothers defending Ozzie on here anymore is because people turn into a torch bearing lynch mob of smartasses anytime his name is mentioned. Your posts are exactly what I was referring to when I said there is no point in even discussion Ozzie with you guys, because I know if I defend A MOVE Ozzie makes, that means I support every single little move the man has ever done. This is exactly why no one wastes there time on this subject anymore. With logic like that, there is no point.
-
Is the ozzie bashing getting old?
QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:53 PM) Ozzie has clammored for speed since the minute he got here. He had a perfect chance to use it -- Borowski with an awful move to first, Victor Martinez horrid's arm behind homeplate and Jerry Owens on first. So what do you do? First pitch bunt sign from Fields. Don't even give Owens ONE shot to steal it on his own -- TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW, for cripes sake. And who says we're relying on Fields to get a hit? Everybody wanted Owens to have a shot to steal second outright so Fields could get him over to third. Really not that tough, don't know why you're making it that way... But then again, I understand that Ozzie can do no wrong in some eyes, so... You mean Victor Martinez who threw out half of our steal attempts in the Cleveland series? But then again, I understand Ozzie can do no right in some eyes, so...
-
Cubs put in claim for Shannon Stewart
They are just desparate for someone. I wonder what happened with Pie that they have zero faith in the guy all of the sudden?
-
Hawk And Stone
QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:34 PM) Weren't they named/rated the best, or one of the best, radio broadcast teams in baseball in 2005? Yes they were. Part of the ratings was length of time on the air, but they were an excellent team. Then again I think Rooney could make Harry Carry listenable after his work with Farmio.
-
Bobby Jenks...
QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:29 PM) One could make the argument that Jenks is as good as he ever has been, and that person would probably be right. The proof is in the pudding. The guy has just tied an American League record for the most consecutive outs recorded in the 107 year history of its exsistance. Only one other guy has ever done it. How can you argue with those results?
-
Is the ozzie bashing getting old?
QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:35 PM) I find it funnier that the people who bash the Ozzie bashers never actually defend Ozzie's moves, rather they bring up irrelevant BS and mainly stir the pot. And I'd also say 99% of the Ozzie bashers never put ALL responsibility on Ozzie. But when a manager makes moves that are so blatantly terrible -- like bunt with Josh Fields two nights in a row with the Victor Martinez' scorching arm behind homeplate -- they deserve to be called out. Yeah they dont ever defend his moves... I do have to laugh when you tried to downplay how much blame Guillen gets for stuff. I have seen Guillen blamed for everything from minor league recalls, to players failing in the clutch, to trades that aren't made etc, etc. I used to argue, but to be honest, you can only bash your head on a wall so long before you realize that there really isn't a point to it. If you want to b**** about Fields bunting go ahead. For my money I want to see Thome, Konerko, Dye and company up with a guy in scoring position at the end of a game, instead of depending on a rookie who strikes out about once every 3ABs, and then having the runner probably still stranded at first base. You do realize that Fields has more Ks than hits right (70 tyo 52)? So if you want to strictly play the numbers, there are better chances of a K, than Josh getting a hit, by a wide margin. But you guys keep thinking Ozzie has no idea what he is doing, especially when he is putting his 4 best clutch hitters (AJ included) in a position to win a game. I believe that would be what Fathom calls giving his players the best chances to succeed.
-
Bobby Jenks...
QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:31 AM) I still prefer him with his 100mph fastball. *Pops in World Series DVD to watch him make Bagwell drop down on his knees after each whiff* Hey Kerry Wood is back! Me, I prefer the outs.
-
Is the ozzie bashing getting old?
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:47 PM) Ozzie did nothing wrong today, and pulling Buehrle before getting through 5 is out of character for him, but it was the right call on a night when he really didn't have it/lost it very quickly. I think it's funny that anyone that criticizes Ozzie is considered some commie fascist automaton. I just think it is funny that the all mighty and powerful Ozzie Guillen is responsible for every scourge known to man-kind, and even some we haven't discovered yet.