Bobby Jenks...

PWSox87

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Barr retired 41 consecutive hitters in 1972, which is still the record to date.

What Bobby is doing right now is called a "Hidden Perfect Game" - retiring 27 consecutive batters over multiple appearances - Shingo had one in 2004.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
You got to love the guy.

If and when he blows a save I hope everybody gives him a free pass criticism wise.

He's deserving of no criticism for a long time after this stretch.

I agree with you, but we both know damn well this is impossible.

Jenks has been one of the few consistent players all year long, and the only consistent bullpen guy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
Jim Barr retired 41 consecutive hitters in 1972, which is still the record to date.

What Bobby is doing right now is called a "Hidden Perfect Game" - retiring 27 consecutive batters over multiple appearances - Shingo had one in 2004.

I also recall Cotts having one too, but that may be me having a shady memory.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)

ok wikipedia

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
I also recall Cotts having one too, but that may be me having a shady memory.

slightly shady memory. He didn't have a hidden perfect game, but he did have a hidden no-no. From May 31st to June 14th, Neal Cotts pitched 9.2 of no-hit baseball, allowing 4 walks during the time frame. Not nearly as impressive.

Bobby Jenks rocks my socks

Its very impressive to see a pitcher learn how to actually pitch when he loses some of the Juice on his fastball....

Billy Botch really really lost it... and was unable to adjust appropriately.... perhaps thats not a fair comparison.... the Botched one didn't have anywhere near the ancillary pitches that Bobby Beer Drinker does.

whatever.... Jenks rules.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 08:47 AM)
he's been great recently, but he also leads the AL in blown saves, so let's not get too excited here.

Compare his blown saves to other closers in baseball who have had that many chances:

F. Cordero - 40 SVO, 6 blown, 57% of team's total Wins Saved

J. Valverde - 39 SVO, 5 blown, 53% of team's total Wins Saved

B. Jenks - 37 SVO, 5 blown, 60% of team's total Wins Saved

J. Borowski - 35 SVO, 4 blown, 48% of team's total Wins Saved

T. Jones - 35 SVO, 5 blown, 48% of team's total Wins Saved

J. Putz - 35 SVO, 2 blown, 53% of team's total Wins Saved

C. Cordero - 32 SVO, 8 blown, 46% of team's total Wins Saved

With the exception of Putz, Bobby has been on par with other closers with 32 or more chances and he has saved 60% of our wins this year. I think he's doing fine.

Edited by pcullotta

I honestly dont think Bobby lost his fastball, I think its still there. I think he cut down his stride and took a bit off of the actual velocity to save himself for the entire season as well as injury risk and added control.

Looks to be working

pre ASB 2.83 1.11 WHIP

post ASB 5.72 1.80 WHIP

pre ASB 3.28 ERA 1.15 WHIP

post ASB 2.45 ERA 0.41 WHIP

his walks have decreased significantly as well.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
I honestly dont think Bobby lost his fastball, I think its still there. I think he cut down his stride and took a bit off of the actual velocity to save himself for the entire season as well as injury risk and added control.

Looks to be working

pre ASB 2.83 1.11 WHIP

post ASB 5.72 1.80 WHIP

pre ASB 3.28 ERA 1.15 WHIP

post ASB 2.45 ERA 0.41 WHIP

his walks have decreased significantly as well.

i agree with this 100%.....i think bobby has given up the 100mph heater in favor of a more consistent 95 mph fastball that he can not only command, but also add a little cut to...and it probably helps save his arm....in addition, whats wrong with a 95 mph fastball? when i look at the "new" bobby, i see a guy who can throw a 95 mph fastball with command, add cut, throw a decent slider, and a wicked curve....so basically i see joe nathan stuff, and nobody in minnesota is complaining about him

Edited by daa84

Amazing. I got back from out of town, having been gone for a week and find this out, along with the fact that the Sox have been on a tear. Maybe I should go on vacation more often, lol. What has Bobby's velocity looked like during this stretch?