Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:28 PM) Because some of our fans give up on players so damn early and it's just a reminder of that fact that some players do indeed take time to develop. Exactly. You don't exactly have to delve back into the history books to find times when Joe Crede was the most hated guy on Soxtalk. Baseball is just like anything and people learn at different paces. Just because people don't get it right away, doesn't mean the Inquisition needs to be revived.
  2. I thought Phillips was out of options? Can anyone confirm that?
  3. To be honest, I don't know how Fitzgerald is still around. This guy has been so far up everyone's ass in Chicago, its amazing he is still alive. He has hunted down Daley guys, and Ryan guys equally. If he survives the 09 inevitable purge, I wouldn't be surprised to seem him indict King Richard himself.
  4. QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 12:43 PM) Southsider: am I wrong in thinking that the billions and billions locked up in subprime lending going south will be a huge catalyst to a possible recession? From a dollar standpoint, billions isn't nearly as much as it sounds like, and neither is the subprime market. If these dopes actually paid attention to history for once, they would learn that making loans to people who probably won't be able to pay them back at a higher percentage than most is a dumb idea. I know I can't be the only one here who remembers the SNLs and junk bond stupidity. In reality the subprime market is a small fraction of all mortgages, as the vast majority of reputable lenders don't want the risk on their books. That being said from a dollars standpoint, no, I don't think this is enough to push a recesion. What danger we get out of this is a change in mentality that could lead to a recession. An event like this can change people's mind that things are going to be OK. The dirty little secret that no one wants to admit is that perception is reality when it comes to our economy. This is really dangerous if people think it is a bad thing. If they sell this the right, it shouldn't make a difference as I understand it. This could be another card in the deck towards a recession, but not on its own merits from a dollar standpoint.
  5. QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 11:23 AM) I've already decided that my first legal drink order is going to be: "appletini, easy on the tini please" And hope to god the bartender watches scrubs... Just don't order it from a guy, just to be safe
  6. GM was our "something else" happening for the day. 12000 is a big round number. Markets don't like closes below big round numbers. If we go through 12k on the close, next stop is either 11,700 or 11,500. This whole subprime thing, plus GMs disappointing earnings has some people spooked.
  7. I think both teams will be winners in this deal. I think Brandon will continue to surprise people, and I think the Sox will be very happy with the kids they got in the deal. As for evaluating this deal, with as young of talent as is involved here this is one you have to look at 3-5 years down the road for any real answer.
  8. D'oh Well now we have our answer! Hooray!
  9. How nice of Howard to tap into Idol for some ratings.
  10. QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 10:34 AM) That's a good point. It is probably something you don't want to make mandatory. That line starts to blur right there, probably. I guess it depends on your interpretation of the first amendment. That is the first time I have read someone take it like that, and that puts a whole new spin on things. I always had that kind of a feeling about the right to bear arms, but had not thought of religious freedom in that respect.
  11. QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 10:11 AM) Contreras has three times the stuff Floyd does. And Contreras being "solved" was a lot different. First: he was never as bad as Gavin Floyd. Second: his problems were sometimes mechanical, sometimes worryful over his family in Cuba, moreso than lacking confidence, playing "scared" or thinking too far ahead. Contreras was pretty awful when we got him. His confidence was shot, and all he wanted to do was throw the splitter for every pitch. He also had mechanical issues dealing with his not picking an arm slot and working with it. Its easy to pick apart a comparision them with Contreras as a finished product, and Floyd still in progress, but there are plenty of similarities there. And don't forget with Contreras he had 13 starts in 2004 with the Sox in which he still didnt do too much positive. It wasn't until after those starts, plus a spring, plus some rough April outings that he started to get "it". Floyd might well not get it for another year or two.
  12. So is firing all of them to cover up the fires that you really wanted to make, any better? Its all the same political movitations when it comes down to it. Once again, Bill Clinton just covered it up a little better.
  13. QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 09:52 AM) Big surprise...In mid-April, NBC is swapping Scrubs and 30 Rock's time slots on Thursday night. I kind of hope the final season ends up on ABC. f***! That blows up the best hour and a half on TV, and I have to sit through that horrible, horrible show now.
  14. QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 09:39 AM) How is it even possible for someone not to be able to name Christinianity, Judaism, or Islam? If that number really is true, I think that there's a much larger problem then religious knowledge in our public schools. The thing that strikes me, and I know this is bad statistical analysis, but 15% of the kids don't know one major religion, but only 13% don't know about global warming, are kids more aware of global warming than the religions around them? That's kinda interesting.
  15. QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 08:59 AM) At times it's been foul trouble, but like even nights like last night where he stays out of foul trouble, he usually ends up on the bench for a Mike Sweetney. Last night, he stayed out of foul trouble, they let him play a lot of minutes, and what do you know? If Tyrus gets his shot AND does his part (stays out of foul trouble), this team is actually dangerous. Tyrus can be as dangerous as Tyrus lets himself be. Last night was a good example of letting the game come to him for the most part. He has freakish athletic ability, and the basketball IQ of a grape. If the kid ever relaxes and lets the game happen, he could potentially be the best player on this team. I think at this point of the season conditioning has a part in how long you can let him play, but for the most part this is the time to extend his minutes if you can. With both Noc and Allen sidelined, this is Tyrus's chance to shine.
  16. QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 08:26 AM) Tyrus isn't offensively challenged, he's PT challenged by Skiles. He could answer some inside scoring issues if he plays that much. Your right about Big Ben, though....21 shots?!?! He has to be able to not commit stupid fouls and turnovers before he can stay on the floor for reasonable amounts of time. Those are the exact things that have been holding him back all year long. He needs to stay under control.
  17. Seeing those kind of numbers in print is staggering, and yet not surprising. We as American's make no effort to see the world through anyone else's eyes, and on top of it, we don't even understand our own history, or the forces that shaped it. Its just sad.
  18. QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 08:12 AM) I agree, I liked Blake. His arrangment was meh (I'm not a huge electronica fan), but it was cool that he did it himself. And he's pretty good looking. Is it just me, or did people seem to go out of their way tonight to pick really awful boring songs. It was a snoozefest. Anyway, according to Dial Idol the 1-2-3 are Melinda, LaKisha, and Sanjaya. Take it for what it's worth. Personally, I think the bottom two should be Sanjaya and Haley. I thought Haley actually did the worst last night, should be interesting to see who goes home. The song wasn't my favorite or anything either, I was just impressed with the kid's ability to do it all himself. I don't ever remember seeing anyone on Idol ever try something like that. It speaks highly for his music IQ, and his knowledge of music history. That's a solid bottom two IMO. I could also throw in the kid who went first with no problems.
  19. QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 07:30 AM) http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws Floyd was hitting 96 on fastball yesterday. Right now my thought is that he could have been overpitching, causing him to lose control. The answer to Floyd seems pretty obvious by reading just a little bit about what others had to say about him, and reading his quotes in the paper. The kid has zero confidence, and is too busy thinking instead of pitching. They need to do like they did to Contreras and empty his head, and focus on throwing the sign. That's it, nothing more. This kid is worrying about who he faces, what others think of his pitches, etc, and he is self-admitedly confused. The problems are all in his head.
  20. QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:08 PM) Considering he was referred to as a "dark horse" for the 5th starters job, I'd definitely say he is on the outside looking in right now. As far as trading him or sending him to AAA, it really depends on what you could get in the trade market. If they could get a couple nice arms for him, I'd trade him in a heartbeat. If they can't get that - and I'm not sure they would - it's probably just a better bet to send him to AAA and hope and pray he can find his magic from 2003 again. I would also agree with you as well on the injury aspect of it, and I wouldn't even be surprised if his entire arm is just completely shot right now. I don't know if Prior is even with a flyer at this point. With the arm that kid has when healthy, he is worth a flyer. Health being the key caveot. If he is healthy, then you are looking at a two pronged fix job in that both his mechanics and his mind are shot right now. The Sox have a pretty solid history of being able to fix that. If his shoulder is shot, forget it, he is done.
  21. I wonder if Saddam to recommend them for Il to open an account like the old referral credit union membership system? http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion...1,3280056.story
  22. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:43 PM) By which candidate? Joe Biden, duh.
  23. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:16 PM) The folks over at Realclimate chime in on the NYT Gore piece. Unsurprisingly, the qualifications of a lot of the people quoted in the article seem to leave a lot to be desired, which for some reason seems par for the course in those sort of articles. Here's an alternate commentary with some other good details, albiet from a less distingushed source. Link. I thought credentials didn't matter in the climate debate and it was all about the message? Damn I am so confused.
  24. QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 06:58 PM) It's 70 down in Champaign, too, but there's still piles of snow in some places. Its an odd site when its this warm out. You should see people walking on shelf ice when it is 70 degrees for weirdness... either that or stupidity.
  25. QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:48 PM) Oh, Dear Lord, YES http://scrubs99baloons.ytmnd.com/ All of my problems are now solved.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.