Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
American Idol
Simon hit it right on the head tonight. There is Lakisha and Melinda and then there is everyone else. I think the one impression I was left with tonight was a lot more respect for Blake after seeing the kid actually has real musical understanding. He seemed like a gimick guy, but after seeing his actually take and analyze a song and make changes to it by himself, gave me some respect for the kid. How many other contestants could have done that?
-
David Aardsma
QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:12 PM) I just realized this... but Ryan Bukvich has a realistic shot at making the team. 7 IP, 8 K's, 0 BB's, 2 ER, 8 Hs, 2.57 ERA That is probably best out of all the relievers. This is one case where the numbers completely don't matter. This kid has zero chance at making the team. He is probably somewhere around 12th in line for the pen. If he makes the team out of spring, something really, really, really bad probably just happened.
-
How is Seattle at home a "Prime" series?
QUOTE(shoota @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 11:14 PM) The Sox should just operate as a non-profit company, aiming to break even every year. Pass the savings along to the fans with cheaper seats, concessions, parking, etc. So the Sox should be able to see into the future to know exactly what ever varaible for attendence is going to be, and adjust prices and expenses accordingly. Sounds reasonable. Actually I have a better idea, since the flux capacitor got destroyed by a train in 1985, and Doc hasn't come up with a new way to break the time/space continium yet, the Sox should really play out the season, and then if they have a profit just roll the money back into the team. I think that is a great idea. Huh? What's that? They have been doing exactly that forever now? No way!
-
How is Seattle at home a "Prime" series?
QUOTE(shoota @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:08 PM) Then they shouldn't have removed 8k seats. These prime and premier price discrepancies are bogus. You're right, they shouldn't have listened to the fans when they said the park wasn't intimiate enough. Stop and think about it for a second. The fans want a paradox out of the the White Sox. They want infinate front row seats to the best games, for a dirt cheap price, a full stadium (except no lines anywhere, ever), and a $200 million payroll... Yeah good luck with that. You might want to meet my friend "Reality" Everything has a consequence. People b****ed for 10 years about the top of the upper deck, and now they are going to b**** because those eight thousand seats are gone? Cripes. Talk about never happy. These are the economics of modern baseball. You want cheap seats and plenty of availablity, I am sure the Royals can help you with that. The Sox are putting a top 5ish payroll on the field, and I for one understand the sacrifices that go with that.
-
How is Seattle at home a "Prime" series?
QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:28 PM) More likely becuase its a weekend during the sox big months of June, July, Aug, where they usually sell out weekend games by defualt becuase school is out, fireworks, warm summer nights, blah blah. Everyone knows it. Look at the home weekend schedule for Jun, jul, Aug, all the series are quality series on paper except for Tor and Sea. So one can then conclude that since they inlcuded Tor and Sea as Prime they did so becuase of the time of year and day of the week, not the matchup per say. If thats the case they sould say Prime as in either by match up (team) or by time during the season or week. Its really a joke. Do they really think they are pulling a fast one on us, we are not retarded. Its not about pulling a fast one, its about making the most money possible out of the schedule we were given. People want a $100 million plus payroll, we have to pay for it somehow. This is how.
-
How is Seattle at home a "Prime" series?
I am guessing it has something to do with the Asian contingent that follows Ichiro and Johjima.
-
Rowand on The Score
QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:29 PM) Robin Ventura hit .179 his first cup of coffee in the bigs, then he hit a whopping .249 in his first full season. If this board existed back then, everyone would of been saying what a bust, this guy sucks, lets replace him with a vet or another guy. Brian Anderson may be a decent OF, or he may hit like crap. But you have to give the kid a chance. If he sucks, then replace him. Erstad was signed for as the security blanket for if Brian sucks this year. If he is bad or has a real bad start, he will be replaced. Ah yes the voice of sanity.
-
The Great Winter Storm of February 2007
I went up to our beach this weekend, and it has 20 degrees colder up there, as there was still a good 50 feet worth of an ice shelf. Most of our harbor was still ice covered.
-
Stocks and investing thread
Dow had the air taken out of it again today. It was down about 200 at its low point, and has bounced back a little bit with around an hour and a half to go. They are still bouncing off of the 12100 level, so it seems that is a pretty solid support number unless something else happens. The interesting thing is that energy prices are pretty well down, which usually creates a little bit more for the bulls, but not today.
-
David Aardsma
Cotts 7.20 era 5 IP 14 hits 4 er 8 runs 1k 0bb 1wp Aardsma 11.11 era 5.2 IP 11 hits 7 er 8 runs 4k 3bb I don't think anyone is "winning" this deal so far. Besides it is WAY too early for this stuff.
-
Bobby Jenks Shaves Head for Cancer Research
. I am always happy to see stories about athletes doing good things instead of the usual crap. Good for these guys
-
Ahmadinejad's party losing in local elections
More Irani woes... It seems they are late on the payments to Russia for their nuclear plant. It's sad that they most effective way to stop their nuclear program seems to be Iran skipping out on their bills. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070313/wl_mi...cs_070313121925
-
"300"
Well I am offended by "Death to America" chants every Friday, but somehow I don't see that changing...
-
The deal is done.
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 04:34 PM) Seriously, MLB, DirecTV, I know 1 of you is owned by Newscorp and that gives a great comment on your intelligence...but do you really think that if you start waving a red cape at the guys in Congress, just begging them to start talking and actually do something that will make their constituents happy, they won't come charging in? Link. Just wait until the steroid investigation gets sick of being stonewalled. I really expect to see a review of the anti-trust stuff by the next election or so.
-
Obama Watch
It seems like everybody is talking about Barack. http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/294...obama13.article
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:34 AM) Now if in the year 2015 there were about 20 hurricanes per season then I think we can agree that there is an upward trend. The problem with anything to do with Hurricanes is reliable data barely dates back to the 60's. Its hard to make an accurate historical trend with about 50 years worth of information. I think we can gather more based on things like tempature trends from around the world, and things where we can get more lengthy information.
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:25 AM) I agree. There are always going to be fluctuations but a comparison from 1 year to the next isn't considered a good sample size. You know that. Just look at the DJIA over the past 30 years. The trend is that it is rising but there are years here and there that are down. I understand that pretty well. I have just heard stuff like that held up as evidence when it fits agendas, and dismissed when it doesn't. Heck I heard Katrina mentioned as proof of global warming, as if we had never had a category 3 hurricane hit the US before. As long as the system is consistant, I don't mind.
-
April Wallpaper
Thumbs up! Its my wallpaper now.
-
So What Do We Think of This Jersey?
I love the classic jersies that the Sox have had. I own most of the Hall of Fame cap collection, and would love to have most the jersies, except for that problem of feeding the baby.
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 02:53 PM) The question is...does Mr. Gore purchase enough carbon offsets to also cover his own flatulence? My personal favorite was PETA chiming in that Gore couldn't be a real "enviornmentalist" while eating meat. Yes this has gotten way past ridiculous. QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:12 AM) So statements like the one below are supposed to dissuade me? He's comparing one summer to the next. What a joke. The high number of hurricanes in 2005 was sited as proof of global warming, was that supposed to convince me?
-
Name your Surprise Move
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 05:41 PM) Sox hire Jason Gage away from a large CPA firm to be the asst. general manager. In the press conference, Gage says he swears he won't "Gage" the Sox. Soxtalk.com crashes with all of the death threats overwealming the PM system if their favorite players are traded... My surprise move is that Mark Prior leaves Arizona as the fifth starter for Chicago... The White Sox.
-
Rowand on The Score
QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:45 AM) Did anyone else hear Rowand's interview around 8:15 with Mike North. After hearing the interview, I'm anticipating him being on the Sox any second now. Rowand had a couple of "no comments" when asked about what KW has told him about coming back to the Sox, etc. Also, Rowand seemed very disgruntled about his situation in Philadelphia. I am sure he isn't happy there. The guy wants to play, and getting benched is not going to help that.
-
2007 MLB Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 01:27 AM) It's going to cost way more than a mid-level prospect for Mark Prior. As s***ty as he's been, the Cubs have invested a ton of time into him, he still has promise, and he's still a starting pitcher. Joel Pineiro got a $4 million deal coming off a horrendous season to be brought in as a closer; Randy Wolf got a 1-year, $8 million deal and he didn't pitch last year; Jason Marquis got 3 years and $21 million for putting up the worst ERA f***ing ever last year (proven fact, I swear). You think you'd be able to get him for anything less than a 3 year deal or $8 mill for a year? I guaran-goddamn-tee that there is some crazy team out there that would be willing to guarantee him 3 years or $8 million for one year. So, not only would you not just be able to release him, but you have to depend upon him to stay healthy for a full year and hope and pray that he can be a solid #4. That's f'ing crazy, and something KW and JR have not shown a willingness to do. Its also looking more and more like he doesn't have a spot on the major league roster with the Cubs. Would it be worse for them to trade him, or send him to Iowa? Speaking personally, I'd be very interested, but I have a feeling he is having shoulder problems that might lead him to surgery if his velocity is that far down. I have no proof, just a hunch based on Cubs history with this kind of stuff.
-
Josh Hamilton
I'll believe it when I see it. This kid has had more relapses than Oprah has had diets.
-
Is Sosa gonna get a payday?
I think it is hilarious. The Rangers really want him to make the team as a middle of the order guy, and if he gives you even decent production in this day and age, he is a bargain.