Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Levine reports Sox and Buehrle to talk
QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 11:15 AM) I thought this KW quote in the FoxSports article was very interesting, speaking in regards to the new pitchers: So if they don't need to be anything but a No. 5 now and next year, doesn't that imply that the current 4 will all be around in 2008, including Buehrle? KW normally chooses his words very carefully and this seems pretty obvious. Either that or they would look at aquiring another decent pitcher somewhere along the line... We all know Kenny has a group of guys on other teams that he is trying to trade for all of the time, just by listening to him talk about how long he works to get guys to Chicago. QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 11:29 AM) Levine is on 1000 right now the sound byte from Mark was: Levine: have you talked with your agent Mark: yeah, we talked last night Levine: so are you guys planning on approaching kenny Mark: well, that's why I hired an agent, to do contract talks. So any contract questions you'll have to direct to my agent. (end soundbyte) Levine on 1000 immediately after sound byte ends: Yeah, translation, Buehrle's agent is going to make a pitch for a 3 or 4 year deal in the next couple of days. WTF? LOL. Talk about trying to create a story. I am glad Mark has learned the art of the "no comment". It should serve him well the rest of his career. QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 11:44 AM) The useless jersey club is a pretty awesome one which includes: Damaso Marte, Billy Koch and Joe Borchard. So don't feel too bad. I wear the Jeff Bajenaru jersey proudly, thank you very much QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 11:54 AM) It does? Considering three of the four pitchers mentioned will be back next season, I don't believe he gave a "freudian slip" and played his card concerning Buehrle. What concerns me more is the first line and last line Williams gave in response to Rosenthal's question: Why the hell should it matter whether someone can pitch on a world series championship? The true goal of trading McCarthy and Garcia should have been obtaining the greatest amount of talent. I don't know about many of you, but this answer doesn't sound like someone who's confident the prospects received are good ??? Is the only goal that matters winning a World Series?
-
Bill to improve conditions at Military Hospitals
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 11:03 AM) I've spoken with a couple people who are ex-military, and it does seem that conditions at VA hospitals have been bad for some time now. But I think its interesting, we all (myself included) complain about our politicians AND the press here a lot, and how things are politicized for someone's gain. In this case, though, the fact that the bill was brought up and the articles were written is an example of how the political system and the free press actually worked in a positive way. Politics resulted in good - what a concept. Well its good that things might get fixed now... Where were these people over the last few decades? This has been going on for a long time, and no one said a damned thing about it. That being said, hopefully they can get it right, but I am not holding my breath.
-
Happy Birthday Asshatsoxfan
How would you like to wear your ass for a party hat?
-
The Official [SCRUBS] Thread
Braff would get $350K for 7th season, per episode
-
Spring Training conversations
QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 09:55 AM) contract talk did not sound promising... Joe Crede will not be a Chicago White Sox once his free agent years begin. Period.
-
Levine reports Sox and Buehrle to talk
QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 09:42 AM) I think everytime I've seen a "Levin reports" thread on this board it has always been wrong. I could see that considering I have no idea who "Levin" is
-
Levine reports Sox and Buehrle to talk
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 09:28 AM) 4 yrs, $56M is not a bad contract, IMO. However, if they do a 3 yr $42M contract, they should give him a huge kicker in that 4th year option (say $16-$17M)... can you imagine what the salaries (going rate) will be in 4 years? That's scary to ponder. Either that or if they are going to offer him $14 for the last year, offer him a big buyout, say like $5/6 million to put the guarenteed money up closer to $50 million.
-
Levine reports Sox and Buehrle to talk
QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 09:23 AM) Levine said he expects Buehrle's agent to ask for 4yrs @14 mill. He thinks KW will counter with 3yrs @ 14 with an option for a 4th. Jesus H Christ! If Mark Buehrle ASKS for that contract, you get him to sign it ASAP. That is a STEAL in this marketplace. In all honesty, that way closer than I would have expected. Also out of curiousity, has anyone caught what MB's fastball has been hitting on the gun so far?
-
Levine reports Sox and Buehrle to talk
I think lots of these players thought the Sox would cave into their demands, and when the Sox started making plans without them, it kind of sobered them up. I have said all along that this would be the last year for the Sox with Buehrle, but if you think about it, he can't get a much more ideal situation for his playing career. If he leaves here as an FA, he is going to expected to be a savior, which he is not. He also will probably end up much further from home, unless the Cubs throw a ton of money at him. (if he is telling the truth about never signing with STL) Family has always seemed to be a big deal with Mark, as his family is at tons of events with him (games, Soxfest etc). Maybe this could happen? Ah, I better just not get my hopes up. Any guesses as to what the magic numbers might be? How low would MB go in terms of dollars and years? 5/75?
-
Official NHL Thread
Damn, I hate to see that.
-
Draft Plans/Needs?
QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 10:17 PM) We have to get him... 3 Josh Fields would be awesome! Imagine if they all made it to the bigs with the White Sox at some point.. It'd be (dare I say it?) Joshua Fields forever!
-
Sox Lockup Vazquez to Contract Ext.
Also on the deal, if you are Kenny Williams and the agent comes to you and offers his pitcher with a one million dollar payCUT, and wants to add only three years to his deal, you'd have to be borderline retarded not to do it. As much as pitching is overpriced in this day and age, you still have to have it. In a vaccuum this deal is terrible, but that is the price of doing business today. If you want a 30 start, 200 inning guy, you are going to pay at very least 10 million dollars a year. Throw on top of it the allure of the guys arm, and you are looking at a 5 year $65 million deal on the open market. Ridiculous, hell yeah it is. A fact of life? Yes again. At worst, he has solid trade value, because of his discount to free agents, and relative shortterm deal, unless his arm falls off.
-
Sox Lockup Vazquez to Contract Ext.
QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 06:24 AM) I'll throw this in here. Pretty good read, but nothing all that new. FoxSports.com Interview With KW One really interesting thing for all of the conspiritalists who swear the Sox have a ton more money after the attendence increases... they are wrong
-
Interesting read on the problems with cost of insurance/medicine
Its kinda interesting because from an economic standpoint this is an absolute truth: The cheaper something is, the more of it that will get used. The uninsured aren't going to use as much healthcare, because they economic incentive not to do so, while the insured, will use way more, because they have no incentive not to. http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/hea...,1,236737.story
-
Bill to improve conditions at Military Hospitals
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 10:03 PM) BS. This existed long before the Iraq war. I don't know exactly how far the bad VA hospitals go, but my first hand knowledge of them goes back to my Dad's dealings with them as far back as I can remember, after he was a victim in of a bombing back on his base in Vietnam. He spent six months in hospitals before he was even fit enough to return back to the states, and even then, the level of care he got in the Army meant that as long as he didn't raise he arm above his head, his shoulder would stay in its socket. Anything more than that, and it would dislocate. He literally came back to the states, and paid out of his own pocket to have his shoulder fixed in private practice because the army didn't see the problem with it. Throw in some decent, but not major, Agent Orange after-effects, and he has seen a few VA hospitals, as have I when I went with him to appointments. He is too this day considered a 20% disabled vet because of the injuries he endured over there, and has been in and out of VA hospitals over the course of 35+ years, especially the last 25 or so as he became physically unable to work in his mid 30's. (partially due to those injuries, and partially due to some bad luck, and another part dumb decesion making) This is not a new thing, dispite the press just latching on to it. Ask any of the 25 million or so vets who are out there, if they have ever had the misfortune of setting foot into a VA hospital, and prepare to be incredibly depressed.
-
Cheney tenure in danger
I'll even throw out a wildcard name that no one would be thinking of, and that's Alan Greenspan.
-
Worst Sportscaster ever is back?
HARRY CAREY IS A ZOMBIE ?!>!>!)(U%(NBF(H (*)???
-
27 Game Ticket Plans
QUOTE(salty99 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:35 PM) I'm sure if you paid your money and have your tickets you'll be set with your 27 game plan with postseason. This new 24 game plan must be for new buyers only. Good point... did you renew your 27 game plan, and they stuck you with this, or are you buying them new?
-
Cheney tenure in danger
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:45 PM) What about appointing McCain or Guiliani? Might be a good strategy to ensure a presidential victory in '08. Depends on Bush's approval ratings during the interm. If they are put into office, they can't distance themselves from his policies anymore. Plus I doubt they would want to do so, because it would take away from their time campaigning. I still think Rice is the ideal choice for them.
-
Cheney tenure in danger
QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:33 PM) That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title. I'm sure it'll be easy for Bush to get one of his cronies through both houses right now. If I had to handicap it, I would bet on Condi. She is one of the few left from the old group, plus Bush would have a chance to go down in history as putting both the first female and the first minority into the VP slot.
-
Cheney tenure in danger
25th amendment time! The President nominates a new one, who is given a thumbs up or down by congress.
-
For GOP only
Another Dem pledge biting the dust... Or Avacados for everyone! I guess the whole doing away with earmarks thing made it about a month and a half as far as I can tell.
-
27 Game Ticket Plans
They have sold enough packages where the post season tickets are spoken for. There are just that many people ahead of you in line for those seats. As for the 27 vs 24, I imagine they are trying to shrink the plans a little bit to try to get more packages sold (ie more happy customers.)
-
How many pitchers are the Sox going to have?
Actually I think Sisco might have a harder road to making the team than most players because they want to send him down and stretch him out as a starter.
-
Libby Verdict reached
QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 11:14 AM) I think President Bush will pardon him. The Presidential Pardon has historically been one of the most abused privlidges of the oval office. I would really hope that Libby is not pardoned.