Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
So wait, are you trying to tell me that there was no message behind the movie, lectures, speeches etc? All of that wasn't meant to elicit a change in people's behavior? All of this stuff is what, entertainment?
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
The messages are the same from both groups. I know what is best for you, and you should live your life this way. The actions of both groups are the same as well... Do as I say, not as I do. Why are they treated so differently? I know no one will get what I am talking about, and I didn't expect anyone would. Its different, its always different.
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 10:12 AM) Did you really just compare Al Gore's electric bill to molesting a child? And environmentalism is a cult?! You know, I enjoy our discussions on this board, but I can't see having any sort of logical discussion on the topic if you seriously believe those things. I'm out. Oh but you aren't paying attention to my message. Yes, I am quite serious in the comparision here. Personally I think the destruction of all human kind would be worse than child molesting, but I digress. And actually if you really look at my message, I am talking about the underlying hypocracy behind each action, and not the merits of each action. But don't let me stop you from going after the messenger
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 09:41 AM) Addressing most of the claims (spurred from the USA Today editorial). I appreciate Al Gore's message and the dedication he has consistantly shown to the environment throughout his life. I actually SAW the movie, and it really wasn't that political (except when talking about his run in 2000). Al Gore's no saint or a hypocrit, but he is someone I look up to as trying to be the best steward of the earth as possible. Denounce the messanger all you want, but in 50 years ask your kids about how right the message was. I'll bet you could write the exact same article about pretty much every Catholic priest who molested a child over the last 50 years. As far as I have ever seen or read, they do a ton of good works outside of their nasty little habit which just happens to be against everything that they have ever taught. No one seems to be out writing up rebuttal op-ed pieces for these guys, why is that? No one seemed to have a problem with the "liberal media machine" picking up the story and running with it. Why were their no replies about how many soup kitchens they served in, or how they tithed, or the marriage couseling they did, or the comfort they brought to people who lost loved ones, or how they were crippling churches by taking these priests away etc, etc? I guess the "conservative media machine" must have really dropped the ball on protecting the "religious right" or they still have some lessons to learn... It just really drives me nuts that this kind of thing is OK in one instance, but it isn't in this case. I read tons of editorials just tearing the Catholic Church and organized religion apart for this kind of thing, yet when it happens here, we shouldn't worry about that, just worry about the message. Enviornmentalism is like a cult as I see it anymore. Everyone must assimilate or get destroyed by it. If you question this, there is something wrong with you, and the entire media machine crucifies you. People lose their jobs for questioning the envornmental machine. If people do reseach on this that contradicts the accepted facts, it is dimissed summariliy as "junk science" or worse, and the media machine kicks into high gear. Its not that the message gets ignored, its that you ignore the messenger or get ran over by him. I can't wait until Al Gore shows up at my door in his Borg outfit with his laser pointed in my eye, for questioning his authority.
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 09:25 AM) So f*** the environment because AL Gore does? I love the GOP Who exactly has said anything close to that?
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 08:58 AM) If they are walking out so they can abuse children they are wrong. If people are walking out on Al Gore's message so they can be a fuel hog, they are wrong too. How about if they refuse to listen simply because they view the messenger as a two face? That is the most common reason that people give now a days for leaving organized religion anymore.
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 08:54 AM) No, I'm not. But at the same time shouldn't the investigation be the message not the messenger? Would you rather follow wrong information from a guy living in a 300 sq foot home heated with all renewable resources or factual information from someone living in an 8,000 square foot home? So, for the sake of discussion, whcih should we follow, your view of his message or his lifestyle? Which places us, you and me, on a better path? Their are people walking out of the Catholic, and many other, churches for the exact same reasons of hypocracy... are they wrong?
-
Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread
QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 10:30 PM) espnews just showed a highlight of shaun livingston (LAC) dislocating his kneecap. it was possibly the most gruesome thing i've ever seen In HS I watched a guy pole vaulting have his poll swing sideways and him land arm first on the runway. His elbow was destroyed, and his arm swoll up to the size of a watermelon. I could hardly keep my lunch down.
-
Hockey
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 05:15 AM) If Dollar Bill Worst doesn't have the worst record of any major sport owner, I'd like to know who is worse? Add in Pulford and you easily have the worst duo in sports history. The Bears ownership isn't exactly looking stellar these days. I could also throw in the Raiders, Lions, Nationals, Knicks and Pirates off of the top of my head.
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
The big difference between me and Al, is that I am not making movies about the end of the world and telling people to change their lives. If you want to stand up as an authority on ANYTHING, people are going to view and scrutinize you differently than anyone else. So far our society has decided that this is acceptable. We look at the messenger and the reason he is giving his message extensively. I hope you aren't saying we should just blindly accept whatever people tell us?
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 07:56 AM) I think the point is being missed. I agree we should definitely care, if Gore is being a hypocrite. Except, he's not, according to the facts. He talks about reducing carbon footprint - and he does that. Like him or not, he's simply not being a hypocrite on this one. He's doing exactly what he should be. No he's not at all. By purchasing carbon credits all he is doing is reducing the amount available IN AN OPTIONAL PROGRAM. For everyone else who doesn't follow those rules, it doesn't make a damned bit of difference. If they man were actually practicing what he preached he wouldn't own a gigantic energy wasting house. He would bulldose that house, plant a forest preserve, and live in a tiny little place that used as little energy as possible. But hey, he bought Carbon credits so everything is cool, right? Yeah I touched that boy, but hey, I prayed for forgiveness so its all cool. Just like people who rightfully look at people who want to stand up as authority figures on a subject, and preach to people how they should live their lives, people are going to be really interested to see that those people are more than accountable for their actions. Buying your pennance doesn't make a difference. Just because Al was lucky enough to have a grandpa who got rich in the oil business, so he can afford to make movies about things, doesn't mean he can buy his guiltfree sleep. At least not in my eyes.
-
Could be a pretty good outfield in.............
QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 09:16 AM) From the Tribune : It's interesting to me because Erstad is already considered a starter, on par with Dye, while Anderson is just another guy looking for pt. At least Terrero is not listed. QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 09:32 AM) No mention of Pods. I'm happy because of it. I'd assume he's handing LF to Erstad, and if Podsednik can get healthy in time, then it's a matter of who is playing better between Erstad and Anderson. I also assume Podsednik is going to land himself on the DL too, atleast for the greater portion of April. Pods is hurt, who else would be starting?
-
Happy Birthday's Rooftop Shots(48), soxman35(20)
- The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 12:45 AM) Why are "think tanks" looking for Al Gore's utility bills anyway? And why should anyone care? Why should we care? Are you serious? Why wouldn't we care? We get pounded with messages of hypcracy, especially with the members of the Christian right, and they are celebrated by people. We hear about people like Haggard, Swaggart, Bakker, and the like, and they are laughed at and made as examples of what happens when you don't live like you preach. Yet, Al Gore does the same type of thing, and I hear, so what. It reminds me of people slamming the Catholic Church for protecting child molestors, yet accoring to people just like Gore, whose activities are contributing to what according to him could be the destruction of human kind, and yet I am being told it doesn't matter? And don't give me the carbon credits crap, the destructive behavior has already been done. Its just like the priest/child molestor saying they confessed their sins, and asked for forgiveness. It doesn't change what has already been done, and it doesn't reverse their actions. Seriously, I can't believe there isn't more outrage about this. Al Gore has no problem pointing his finger at any other person who fails his litmus test, yet here people are covering for him.- League #1 thread
SEND ME THE PASSWORD!!!- a different six degrees of separation...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17326922/- Claim: Tomb of Christ was found
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17345429/- Favorite Boardgame
QUOTE(DePloderer @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 07:45 PM) Looove Backgammon. Sign up to GammonEmpire and I'll give you a game sometime Play money/real money whatever. Boy if I had any free time left, I would have to take you up on that offer... Is backgammon still big in England? It pretty much was huge here in the late 70's and early 80's, and has pretty much faded away since then. The only reason I picked it up was that is was my families official game during the holidays.- Ever been on TV?
I had an hour long interview on TV for my school board run.- Happy Birthday Balance
- Why Does it Bother Me?
-Why do people buy Britney Spears albums? -Why did people watch the OC? -How hard would it be for that old to turn off of his left blinker, exit the left lane, and speed up from 35? -Why would anyone pay to read Jay Mariotti? The world is full of stupid people. I wouldn't let it bother you.- How to fix the prison system
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 06:11 AM) When I read the stories of honest, law abiding citizens, losing jobs to criminals, it just doesn't seem right to me. Nobody said anything about illegal immigrants- 1,000 Active Duty Military Members
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:08 PM) Because you can tailor it towards your exact message, much like Republicans want to hear from our media. Maybe they should just go into the movie making business instead- White Sox 5th starter poll
QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 04:19 AM) It's interesting to hear that Broadway is making some noise early on. Of course, the hitters are far behind the pitchers right now. Ahead of Sisco? For all his talent, he was never able to get outs consistently in KC. Sisco shouldn't sniff Chicago yet. Hopefully he will get to go to Charlotte as a starter, and get the learning in that he was never able to buried in the KC pen.- Official NHL Thread
Holy crap, that was the best brawl I have seen in years. Kinda makes me misty eyed for Marty Turco beating the crap out of Pokey Reddick with me sitting in the front row about two feet from where I was at. - The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM