Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
Ah yes, skeletons in the closet... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ibd/20061002/bs_ib...2006102issues01 Well at least we know that covering butts are a bipartisian industry. It almost makes you wonder if the way the Greeks elected leadership from anyone wasn't quite as insane as we think it is...
-
Stocks and investing thread
The Dow Jones industrial average closes at an all-time high of 11727.34
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 02:28 PM) But that's really not the issue here as I see it. The issue is what you do when you have some evidence that there may be a problem but not so much that you'd violate the law by doing nothing? Try to put yourself in those shoes for a moment. You're sitting there reading emails from a Congressman to a 16 year old page asking for a picture and so forth. Emails that many others have described as "Creepy". Now, you're told that the family just wants to keep this quiet. Do you do anything other than talk to the Congressman and say "no more", or do you at least take a step or two to let the page program know there's a problem, or look to see if there's more there than you've been told? The Catholic church seems to have had a more serious problem, where they fully realized how bad their situation was, but instead of doing something about it, they actively ran interference. In this case, if you believe the Congressional leadership...all they did was turn a blind eye. It's not going to be criminal, and probably won't even put them on the hook for civil litigation...but is it really the behavior you expect out of Congressional leadership? So where do you look when your victim doesn't want to talk, and your offender sure as hell isn't going to talk? There are reasons why rape/sex crime victims don't usually come forward and want privacy, and all of the options from that point involved putting pressure on someone who has already said they don't want to deal with it. And as a matter of a fact, it is exactly the leadership I expect from both of these political parties to be honest. Is it what I want, no, but we keep expecting things to change, but keep electing the same hacks to Congress, and wondering why things don't change... duh. What was the saying about the definition of insanity being you repeat the same action over and over and over again, while expecting a different result?
-
Big Frank
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 02:15 PM) Frank Thomas >> Minnesota pitching. 2 home runs, 3/4, 2 RBI. Why couldn't we see this Frank in 00 and 93? If he had a series like that in either 2000 or 1993, he wouldn't be an ex-White Sox now.
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 02:15 PM) The arguments that the need to respect the privacy of one page and his family is frustrating, because it ignores the obligation that Congress – and in this case particularly the House leadership – has to protect ALL the pages whose care their families have entrusted to them. Its frustrating, but not a big surprise either. Just ask the Catholic church. Foley needs to be prosecuted, and anyone who has explicit knowledge of what was going on needs to go with him. Heck like I said before with the Catholic church, whoever had that knowledge should be charged with aiding and abetting a felony, and opened up to civil lawsuits while they are at it. The problem becomes if you don't have a primary witness on either side to back up a story, can you ruin someones life/s with the truth?
-
Minnesota Twins Post Mortem Playoff Thread
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 02:14 PM) Why couldn't we see this Frank Thomas in the playoffs in 93 and 00? ^
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 01:59 PM) I concur that they should have kept it private to start off...but I think they seem to have overstepped the limits of what most people would consider "Keeping it private". I mean, if nothing else, I think that if you see emails between a Congressman and a 16 year old page asking for photos, you at least have to tell the 3 Congresspeople running the Page program, and maybe do some checking to make sure nothing worse happened? Btw, according to ABC's current reports, it's at least 2 different pages involved in these as well...so even if that particular family didn't want anything to be publically known...it might make some sense to check on what dealings other pages have had with this guy. I mean, that just seems logical to me I guess...the ol' "Where there's smoke there's fire". Trust me, I am of the vein that if an adult is taking advantage of kids, they need to be taken out back and have a bullet put in their heads. Its not the PC thing to think, but there aren't many things I could think of that are worse. Like I said the problem is, if you don't have a cooperating witness, you don't have a case (like the example of the abused housewife I used early). It sounds like they did take internal steps, at least according to Denny, but until we get more details out, it sounds like they were kind of stuck in the scope of what they could do.
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 01:48 PM) That part certainly didn't happen until after the press exposed him...and even then, the letters Hastert wrote to the AG requesting the investigation casually suggest that they should avoid investigating what the House leadership did in response to the information they had, but should only focus on who knew about the more sinister stuff...i.e. That's not what I was asking. The family asked for privacy, and I wanted to know if a formal investigation and/or censure would have been a matter of public knowledge. If they could have been doing it in private that changes things vs if it would have had to be a piece of public record.
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 01:35 PM) Removing him from the caucus? Sure, but the reasons why don't need to be disclosed. That's often private. If it was just the Speaker, if it was just one email, if it was just one report to his office - you might have a point. But it appears to be a lot of people covering it often. What about the formal investigation and censure?
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 01:12 PM) You can remove him from the chairmanship of the caucus on missing and exploited children. Could have even made it look like it was a restructuring or something. You can ask for a formal investigation and censure. Wouldn't both of those actions have been public though?
-
Crede's new contract?
QUOTE(cuddlyboy26 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 12:40 PM) I dont understand why the White Sox are so anxious to get rid of Crede to make way for Fields. If Fields does turn out to be great you will have to pay him huge money to keep him as well eventualy. Even after a career year the team is looking to ditch him for an unproven talent. The Sox aren't "anxious" to get rid of him, but at the sametime they have to face the reality that his selling price might never be higher if they come to believe they aren't going to be able to extend him long term.
-
Crede's new contract?
QUOTE(ptatc @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:55 AM) Confucious say "beware of power hitting 3B with back problem when offering long term deal." The stress on a good defensive player's back is tremendous. A long term may be unwise if he doesn't have surgery. The disc could go at anytime then you have a 3-6 month rehab. Which is why I really get the feeling the Sox will be singing Joshua Fields Forever by this spring.
-
Rice Received Warning Before 9/11
QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 12:24 PM) because its no ones fault that it happened. no one, clinton/bush, etc imagined that this could possibly happen. but for Rice to deny that she had any intelligence or warnings about this, when she really did, is BS She isn't denying that she received them as I understand it, she is pulling the biggest BS out there and saying she can't recall them... Subtle difference, but a difference all of the same. It just happens to be a favorite of many politicians to suddenly get amnesia when something comes back later on. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/02/...in2056915.shtml
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 12:13 PM) Wouldn't "Doing the right thing" have involved not letting it get to this point? An interesting point that I haven't seen brought out yet, is that the boys family wanted this kept quiet when it initially happened. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...1,3559588.story They did take some action Without a family willing to cooperate, you really can't do much to the offender unfortunately. It becomes like a domestic abuse case where you know the scumbag husband just kicked the crap out of his wife, but you can't do a damned thing about it, until she agrees to testify/give a statement. Personally I don't like it, these kind of people should be taken down in a heartbeat, but the flipside is if you don't respect the wishes of the victims, you won't get victims to come forward.
-
Funeral Songs, whattcha want playing?
Steam "Kiss him good-bye"
-
Stocks and investing thread
Well the Dow has recorded its highest ever valuation today, trading as high as 11754.47 breaking the old high of 11750. This could be the day for the record close finally.
-
Crede's new contract?
QUOTE(Allsox @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:21 AM) Dunno if JR would go 5 yrs. I'd start at 3 yrs, 24 mil with incentives to protect myself against his back. 1st yr: 6 mil guaranteed, another mil in performance bonuses 2nd yr: 7 mil guar, another mil in perf bonuses 3rd yr: 8 mil gua, another mil in perf bonuses Fair offer to me but to Bora$$, I'm sure he'd tell me his client couldn't live on that considering he's curing cancer, I mean, playing baseball You'd get laughed out of the room. Seriously. The numbers Crede has put up combined with his defense at 3B is worth a ton of money on the open market right now. If he doesn't get $10 mil annually from the Sox, he will get it somewhere else, I would bet money on it.
-
LOST! thread
For those who are interested, here is a solid viewers guide. http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1538430...14|0_0_,00.html I know there are some watchers out there besides me, and I am totally ready for it. The end of the season really left me wanting more. As a matter of a fact the wife and I have been renting the last season to get refreshed and ready.
-
As expected, Girardi out
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 09:54 AM) Here? I guess not. Damn. He would become instantly the biggest idiot in the world if he ever managed here... It must be something lining the White Sox Managers office chair, because it always happens to whomever is sitting in it.
-
As expected, Girardi out
Well the Marlins just made Girardi a rich man somewhere...
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 09:26 AM) Haven't been able to get a hold of Brian to be able to suggest that. But thanks for the idea - hopefully I will get a hold of him. Is there anywhere you can take the stuff to, like parents or in-laws? We lost a few hundred dollars worth of food that way after our huge storms in August.
-
State of the sox farm system
QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 08:27 AM) But then again, how many teams have a "Liriano" type in their system? Exactly what I was going to ask.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
I have my notice in and my last day here at this dinosaur is Friday the 13th. The new job will get me a 15% raise, along with an actual bonus program for the first time since 2001. This would have been a great job I was at, but with them putting in a new training model and downsizing us... yeah that made it not so good.
-
Leading off for the 2007 white sox will be....
QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 06:47 PM) Thing is we did, last year. He hasn't been the same since his groin injury last year prior to the ASG. Pods had hernia surgery and between that and the extra month of the season, self-admittedly wasn't able to do enough to get ready for the 06 season.
-
Welcome to my campaign for world domination
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 10:51 AM) Partay at the appearances. In all seriousness, the old public speaking thing is really coming back to me. It had been a while, but I guess it is like riding a bike.