Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
NYC trying to ban trans fats in restaurants.
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:24 AM) The only problem is that our country is one of the most overweight if not the most overweight and unhealthy in the world. One of the reasons for this is these places serving food with dangerous fat. You would think people have the knowhow to make their own decisions, and then you see them eating until they cant leave their beds and then trying to sue companies for serving them the food. Tort.reform. No one who eats on a regular basis at McDonalds should be able to sue them for making them fat, unless they were leading a purposeful campaign of mis/disinformation leading consumers to believe that those cheeseburgers they were eating were healthy, while the company knew otherwise. Nothing I have seen tells me that any of the fastfood companies are telling consumers things about their products that aren't true.
-
Rebuild or Reload?
QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 08:10 PM) So we're going to have a payroll around 120 million? Quite possibly, yes. I really believe a payroll of $115-$125 million is very possible if season tickets stay sold out for 07.
-
NYC trying to ban trans fats in restaurants.
QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 08:44 AM) I was going to ask, how is this any different from banning smoking in restaurants and bars? Well except for the fact that I am not going to kill anyone with my secondhand fat.
-
Now the tables have turned...
Interesting story here about a boy running away to Cuba. Now the question is, first off, will anyone even notice and make a story out of it, and secondly, will Cuba start screaming about returning the boy back to where he belongs? http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15616721.htm
-
Stocks and investing thread
Well its just out of the open, but we have pushed through it. I think this might be the day! Solid opening indicators, no real bad news. I guess we will see.
-
Looking to buy an XBOX 360
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:01 PM) I'm looking to steal SnB's XBOX 360....any tips? Sneak in after he has been drinking, pound on his door and yell "SECURITY". It'll work everytime.
-
Would you trade BMac for Carl Crawford?
QUOTE(JenksForPrez45 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:51 PM) Well first of all, I thought very highly of B-Mac before this year and going into this season but the way Ozzie has handled him this year I think ruined him. I think he could be good in a few years maybe even sooner but I think Crawford would be a great player with this team. He would be an all-star every year IN MY OPINION if he was on a better team than the d-rays. He would be great for the sox he would get into scoring position for our guys to drive him in and he is a good hitter where he can drive in a lot of runs as well. I think we would be stupid to not take that type of deal. Also, theres potential pitchers floating around every year with hype and coming into the league im pretty sure if we got rid of McCarthy we could easily just get another one somewhere else or draft another one. Potential pitching studs I hear about all the time, most of them never ammount to much and Crawford has already proven to be a good everyday MLB player. Thats my take, rip me apart if you wish. I think Brandon's preformance was ripping enough.
-
Jackass... ******WARNING SPOILERS*****
I gotta laugh at the thread title with spoilers for Jackass... What are you going to give, give away the plot? LMAO!
-
Chicago's Olympic Bid
QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 11:52 PM) Seems to me that a certain Northside team could need a stadium 10 years ago or so. Edited for accuracy.
-
$75 free at Party Poker
QUOTE(PartyForFree @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 03:18 PM) In the "My Account" section there's a "Bonus Details" tab. It's "raked" hands, not just hands. If it doesn't meet the minimum for a rake it doesn't count. There's a Beginners Section with really low limits too if you're new. I'm feeling the love. It's all about the love. How are your Haiku skills? I can't back down now. 5-7-5. You're kinda being a jerk for someone hawking his wares here... We all know that you aren't just "giving" away money, and that odds are there people who get hooked will end up depositing way more than that $75 you are "giving away", who will by far out weight the freebies, leaving you with a tidy profit. It'd be nice if you were a little less condesending towards people IMO.
-
Would you trade BMac for Carl Crawford?
QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 11:58 AM) What's going to be fun is seeing how McCarthy's start tonight will completely change the opinion of a lot of people on this site. Brandon is going to be a Jon Garland type pitcher one of these days. He is a guy without incredible stuff, that is just going to get guys to get themselves out. He is a smart pitcher who gets it. I was questioning the guy who made the original post about Cotts not being able to start because he has stunk this year as a reliever, and seeing how far he actually carried that philosophy.
-
Stocks and investing thread
Ah, now they are going to make it interesting... back through the short and the medium moving averages, looking to maybe make a late run at the record. Stay tuned.
-
Would Cotts be a decent option for a starter
QUOTE(RME JICO @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 12:49 PM) If he can't even get guys out as a middle reliever, how is that going to translate into an effective starter? Normally it won't. So should we not be thinking about adding Brandon to the rotation next year?
-
Stocks and investing thread
LOL so predictable. Its almost funny. Really it was a 4 topper, but 3 solid runs at the high, and each of them trended just a little bit lower than the last one, which really was the indicator that it wasn't going to make it over the top. If you follow the trendlines you can see it giving out to where it finally does go negative. Right now we are treading water around unchanged for the day, but there really isn't too much support left after it goes under the 3rd moving average.
-
Stocks and investing thread
Dow made another top at 11717 at about 10:35
-
Stocks and investing thread
LOL. The old close high is 11,722.98 We got to 11720.77 before the market got scared and ran off. We dipped off about 30 points before the bleeding stopped, and are now floating around 11700. I think we will have the old fashioned double/triple top where the market tries to go through the old highs two/three times, and then created a new resistance point before finally turning for good to the red on the day. Crude has dropped by $1 a barrel in the last hour, so that should provide the spark to make the next up runs for the Dow. If they are going to make a run at these highs here, its going to be soon.
-
Stocks and investing thread
I'll talk more about longer term later, but I am going to bet we see a Dow 10,000 day where stocks touch the old record, and then run like hell, and end up negative for the day. At this very second we are under 10 points away from the current closing record, and are floating around it, but not quite making the run there.
-
clinton faces music
QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 05:20 PM) Sigh... I really shouldn't do this. Nobody's going to read a post this long. I find your response so smug I feel I have no choice. The availability of premium quality goods in capitalist countries greatly exceed that of the soviet union because free markets controlled the exchange of investment and trade against international borders. With the diversity of investment and production inputs (including labor inputs), the West was able to finance greater strides in quality of life than the Soviets. With economic diversity came stability to overcome large governmental outlays, a stock market crash in 1987, in interest rate crisis in the 1970's and again (much worse) in the early 80's. Meanwhile, the Soviet principal of centralization had faltered. The basic theory of the soviet economy (that a strong central government could most efficiently control resources) was failing. The soviet union, cut off from international capital markets, received no foreign direct investment. The Soviet Economy was like a car that came with a full tank of gas but no place to re-fuel it. Once it ran out of fuel, it can't move anymore. The end result is that the west's economy was stablizing. Competition drive prices lower. Companies in the west had to compete, constantly looked for leaner ways to operate, and developed a knack for obtaining the investment necessary to 1) lower prices and 2) increase profits (and transitively GDP) With that, the western consumer was able to purchase luxury items easier. The west enjoyed a much better quality of life than the soviets virtually from day one. Levi's Jeans were the embodimend of western efficiency and wealth. In the Soviet Union, Levi's jeans were the symbol of the wealth created by the west. Everybody wanted them. Indeed when Gorbachev enacted perestroika, soviets could finally get the coveted Levi's. They cost $300... a rediculous sum of money (even by today's standards).... even more rediculous considering it was 1) 1989 and 2) it was the soviet union for christ sakes; it took weeks to make $300. Whats the point I make to NukeCleveland about Levi's jeans? It's one republicans should be familiar with by now: It's the economy stupid. The Soviet economy was draconian from the early 50's. It was doomed to fail from the get go. Western goods became more affordable and life improved in the West because of capitalism. Its true that the military outlays helped bankrupt the soviets, but that was going to happen eventually anyway. Actually, I'd bet that most Russians were more envious of the Western Europe than Americans! They had Levi's, McDonalds, and all the other western luxuries and free health and dental care. Western Europe, parked right alongside the Iron Curtain was a virtual Utopia compared with My point: Economics caused the fall of the Soviet Union... Not Reagan. Reagon contributed, but not nearly as much as the efficiency of capitalism and international markets. Or at least thats what they taught me at Harvard.... What did you learn from those right-wing commercials on TV? Out of curiousity, what did they teach you about the price of capital goods, the failure of the Soviets to be able to feed themselves, and Reagans push towards using this markets to undermine the Soviet system?
-
clinton faces music
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 01:39 PM) I fail to see how delaying indefinitely bringing a terrorist to actual justice saves any lives whatsoever. I don't understand why following the laws, getting warrants, and making sure that the freedoms and system of justice that we fight for when we fight against terrorists aren't equally applied to everyone we fight against. That's my point. In a hypothetical situation it could be the difference between being able to execute an attack, and disrupting it.
-
Who will you Cheer For?
I am rooting for the Twins and the Cards. I would be fine with either team winning it at that point.
-
Talkbears.com
FYI if you register and don't see an approval coming through PM someone like me kalapse or jason about it. We have had awful spam problems at some of the sites, and the registry slows that done a bunch. Its a formality for you guys to get over there, and a protection against the damned spammers. BTW, the site is really picking up steam as the season is moving along. Thanks for spreading the word, and jumping on board the bandwagon
-
White Sox set attendance record
QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 12:34 PM) You really didn't start posting regularly here until June. Most of the predictions were made before the season started. I myself predicted somewhere between 2.7 - 2.8 million and never heard a word from anyone. I'm just thinking that if this happened, it happened on the other board. yeah, I think Jason was the one who predicted 3 million fans on this board. Without searching for it, I am about 99% postitive of that. I think I said we would come close, but not quite there, and everyone else was way below that. I could be wrong, but that is what I remember.
-
clinton faces music
QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 12:16 PM) But if it's this easy then who cares? It just becomes an administrative step that wastes time and money. If there's a situation in which they have a feeling some guy X will be contacting some guy Y tomorrow, they might miss the conversation completely by having to file a report to a commission. Who knows how long the process works, but even if it delays it 10 minutes and we miss that phone call it could be huge. I'd be fine with a system simliar to the Patriot Act in which government agencies are allowed to undergo the warrantless tap but have to come back with evidence later (if they couldn't do so before hand) that would validate the tap. So long as we don't miss out on an opportunity to catch people or gain more intelligence because of a formality that, as you say, almost never gets denied, i'm fine with putting SOME 'protections' in place. I just don't agree that we should fundamentally oppose any alteration or exception on a 'right' that the Court has defined and molded to fit certain situations already. This whole debate for me comes down to one point. In a situation as such, are you will to sacrifice your own or a loved ones life in order to protect this specific freedoms? Are you willing to have a piece of information which could potentially stop a situation like 9-11 from happening because the government could not get the appropriate warrants in time, not obtained, leading to a terrorist attack? To me that is the true question on how much you believe in these freedoms.
-
clinton faces music
QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 11:52 AM) Maybe because he himself admits failure? So has Bush...
-
Konerko, Buehrle might be done for 06
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...eball/whitesox/ http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox26.article