Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
NASA tracking "mystery object" near Atlantis shuttle
LMAO! More than likely it is just a piece of space junk.
-
Paris Hilton's album peters out at 120,000
Hmmm So I wonder if we will start to see those 120,000 copies left on your pillowcases instead of mints at Hilton Hotels now?
-
Wal-Mart will launch voter registrations
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 09:45 AM) OK by me. I think the long run, this will only hurt Walmart, for a number of reasons. But they are welcome to do so. Out of curiousity why do you think it would hurt them? They pretty much have just been a sitting duck for everyone with a labor agenda for the longest time. WMT has been made to be the face of all that is corporate and evil in this country, and pretty much not said a word to counter all of the negative PR, even with states, unions, and congressmen lead a personal charge to try to take them down. How could it get worse? I mean you would pretty much need to catch Sam Walton with plans for his puppy killing/slave making machine to get WMT any worse of an image than people are portraying them with now.
-
Wal-Mart will launch voter registrations
Unions do this in every election cycle, I see no problem with it.
-
Feingold thinks he could beat Hillary
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 06:56 PM) I guess I don't see that in him. To me, if you want a candidate to the left of the Dem center with the balls to stand up for their beliefs, I'd go with Kucinich. Feingold has two problems for me. One, reality or not, is national image is that of someone far left. Two, he is a complainer extraordinaire. I mean, they all complain. But Feingold tends to be too strident in his complaints, almost to the point of being corny. He doesn't come off as a President, is what I am trying to say. If we are asking who the best President would be, I'd take Feingold over Hillary, and possibly over John Kerry as well. But Feingold isn't electable is the problem - he'll get stomped on. So I don't want him getting the nomination. Give me a candidate who is NOT one of the big names that are already muddied (Clinton, Kerry, Edwards), who is moderate but somewhat honest (not moderate by way of waffling), and who has a history of ascendent success (not someone who has been in the same political post forever). That, to me, says Evan Bayh or Bill Richardson. Unfortunately, they both need a much bigger national profile than they have now to pull it off. But if they did, I think either one would kick any Republicans rear in the election. After watching Bayh's assension to the top of Indiana with the big D attached to his name, I think he is a guy worth watching during this cycle. I could really see him ended up as the VP nomination from his party in an attempt to balance out the ticket with a little midwestern flavor.
-
9-11 Press For Truth
And this one is just more interesting than anything. It doesn't really fall under the whole conspiracy umbrella, but it is more of a thought provoking editorial than anything... http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politic...litics-stories3
-
One of the best bills to come out of DC in a long time
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 12:05 PM) I have one word to describe the work on this bill: Obamatastic. Interesting for me is it looks like there was a solid bipartisian effort to push this through, and a solid bipartisian effort to kill it. http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/c...techtopheds-hed
-
For GOP only
- Feingold thinks he could beat Hillary
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 07:00 PM) But if you're talking about a history of ascendant success....well, let's just say that if Obama were to toss his hat into the race, I think he's got my vote even over Gore already. For a guy who is "not running" he sure is getting a lot of media play, and hanging out in Iowa an awful lot for a Senator from Illinois... I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.- Official NFL Thread
A couple of new polls at Talkbears.com Which undeafeated team will miss the playoffs Which winless team will make the playoffs- White Sox are Done
QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 10:37 AM) again with the "your a cub fan" banter? someone show me proof that Im a cub fan. anything will do. Well if watching the Sox lose made you "smile every time Frank Thomas just Jammed It to the SOX this weekend", you aren't much of a Sox fan.- White Sox are Done
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 10:13 AM) He's not a White Sock anymore, sorry. I don't enjoy seeing anyone doom our playoff hopes. Thank you.- White Sox are Done
QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 08:49 AM) And Karma certainly got Kenny Williams this weekend didnt it? Who here didnt smile every time Frank Thomas just Jammed It to the SOX this weekend, playing like an MVP and leading his new team ............ bittersweet to say the least. I love Frank Thomas. Well for starters, I would have to say that the people who are Sox fans first didn't smile...- Derrek Lee Done for Season
Wow for the whole Lee family.- Can you spot the missing word?
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 12:38 AM) Just because she said she was senior staff doesn't mean she was. People make stuff up on the Internet all the time. I can say this being the true Sausage King of Chicago. Oh that is too funny on so many levels- Quotes of the Month ~ September
An excellent reply in Jason's party poker ad QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 11:43 AM) So when are those promotional guys from freehookersandbooze.com going to call back and give us some kind of deal like this?- $75 free at Party Poker
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 11:43 AM) So when are those promotional guys from freehookersandbooze.com going to call back and give us some kind of deal like this? That's an admins only benefit- Middle East conflict
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 11:09 AM) TMBG! My kids' favorite band. That's nobody's business but your kids!- Middle East conflict
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 05:56 PM) Me thinks you failed to actually read the quote which caused the controversy. I don't think anyone gives a damn about Constantinople versus Istanbul. Read it again. The problematic quote from Benedict is: "The emperor comes to speak about the issue of jihad, holy war," the pope said. "He said, I quote, 'Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.'" If you can't see how that would be insulting towards Islam, or how coming from the Pope that might get their cackles up, then you know little of religion. And for the record, this to me is nothing like the whole cartoon controversy. That one was silly, IMO. This is the leader of the Catholic Church essentially saying that Islam brought nothing new to the table aside from a certain variety and ferocity of violence. And considering he was referring to actions around the Crusades, I'd say that's the pot calling the kettle black. That's the one thing that bugs me about Islam... Everytime someone offends anyone, people start to riot and threaten everybody. Christianity faces its demons publicly and often. We hear the priest abuse sex scandal mentioned still all of the time, as well as things like the inquisition and the Papal holocaust ignoring/sympathsizing thrown back at Christians, and do you see people rioting in the streets and callling for Islamic leaders deaths and comparing them to Hitler? No. You see them on TV apologizing for the deaths carried out in God's name instead of on TV screaming for more blood to be spilled over no more than a percieved insult, meanwhile Islamic leaders preach death to America and Israel EVERY SINGLE DAY. Gee I wonder where people get the ideas that Pope Benedict spoke about? And believe me I know that not ALL Islam is like that, and guess what, not all Christianity helped the Nazis or Spaniards either during those killing sprees. And they also don't act insulted when those are mentioned.- Who could be the next UN General Secretary
QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 03:13 PM) Totally Serious but it would take two steps and would never happen William Jefferson Clinton http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article1511.htm http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=41038 I know this has been said before, and my reaction is that he would be really good, and really bad based on his Presidency. He would be an excellent diplomat and spokesperson for the UN. Even if you hate the guy, you have to give the man his due as an effective public speaker. He is an excellent communicator, and I think that is a big area where Annan has failed. One big area that would raise red flags is the propensity for scandal and problems to follow Clinton around. Right or wrong, his name got connected to a lot of really bad things, which is a real big problem in the UN right now. With as bad as the view of the US is in the world today, it would be 10 times worse if we sent up a SG to the UN that ended up being just as corrupt as everyone else. Another area of concern is that Clinton would have to be really proactive about pushing reform on the UN, which I am not convinced he would/could do at this time. It is almost better to leave it up to other countries vs it looking like it is coming from a US agenda anyways.- Who could be the next UN General Secretary
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/5348296.stm- Interesting Trib Article
Uribe as a supersub is an interesting idea. I seem to remember Juan played the best baseball of his career when he first got here and was being moved around from 3B to SS to 2B on a daily basis. I wonder if he went back to having his job threatened, if he would find his focus a little bit more?- For GOP only
If Bush lied for us to go to war, what did these guys do?- As many as half a million dead so far in Sudan
I'm glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way about the Sudan. As usual, nothing is being said about this because it is in Africa. I found this on MSNBC, not in the headlines, but under the section for newsweek articles. Of course when it should be trumpeded around the world to appeal for a stop to the violence, the headlines are all about Bush v Powell and Ney's guilt. Sad.- Kass on Hawk vs. Heinie Bird
QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 12:25 PM) I'm pretty sure it was Eric Zorn. Beautiful article, that one was. Zorn it is! - Feingold thinks he could beat Hillary