Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Should 9-11 be a national holiday
Interesting. To be honest, there is a lot more support for a holiday down here in the financial district, but that is probably due to how many people died in our industry, and those related to it. I feel like almost everyone else in the fact that it should be remembered and commemorated, but not a national holiday. Plus the factor that no one else has mentioned, and that I fully believe there will be more 9-11 style attacks in the future, and I don't think we can stop the world for everyone. The whole point is to not let our lives be disrupted, not to do them the favor and stop living life because of the terrorists.
-
What are the odds that...
QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:40 AM) 3 must-win's, in my opinion. The Sox are maddening in their inability to win winnable games lately. the last Tigers series was also the last time we put together a 3 game winning streak FWIW.
-
And that's a White Sox loser
QUOTE(alexgtp @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:51 AM) Strong supporter of OZZIE here. But enough is enough. RANT ON/ Your complete lack of handling your bullpen is killing this teams chances of making the post season. Why do you insist on this nonsense lefties ve lefties and righties vs righties matchups! Because of this ridiculous notion you have we have blown many games. Please for the sake of this team use the person who is shutting ppl down and or on a hot streak . Be it thorton, jenks and or macdougal. Because Tracey, Cotts ,Bmac, and Heager are obviously not hot right now! RANT OFF/ Great rant. Too bad it was a complete waste of your keyboard. Thornton, Jenks, and MacDougall were not available. So, oh awesome internet baseball manager... What's your next "obvious" solution?
-
128 kids suspended in Hammond
QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:55 PM) Thought I'd bring this back with a Stanley Kubrick quote: "I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker." Can anyone disagree with that? How does a dress code relate to fear? Are you talking about getting in trouble for not dressing properly in school? I am not quite sure if I understand what you are talking about. Its not like kids are going to get beaten for not pulling up their pants.
-
Should 9-11 be a national holiday
QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:36 AM) It should be remembered, but it shouldn't become a holiday for the same reasons December 7th isn't one. That was one of the interesting points people made both pro and con. Even Dec 7, 1941 was an attack on a military instalation. IIRC, the last time civilian interests were targeted in the US on this scale (obviously WTC93 happened, but was no where near this size) was the Civil War, and the War of 1812 if you look for a truely forgein enemy.
-
And that's a White Sox loser
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:16 AM) He'd be half our starting staff. So sad, so true
-
What are the odds that...
Detroit is falling like a rock, while we just kind of float in space. The 3 games left against Detroit for us are HUGE.
-
Should 9-11 be a national holiday
QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:28 AM) A "holiday"... poor description, IMO. National Day of Mourning, perhaps. As a country we have bastardized the work "holiday" anyway, when using it to describe things like "sweetest day" anyways. The word derives from "holy day", which has obvious religious implications, so yeah, a national day of mourning would be a more accurate discription, but we do have somber holidays in this country like Memorial Day and Veterans Day, so it could fit in with how we use it now.
-
Happy birthday DBAH0 & Felix!
Happy Birthday guys, except for DBAH0, 9-11 is now yesterday so happy Belated :cheers
-
And that's a White Sox loser
QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:02 AM) SS, I agree with everything you wrote there with one exception. Painfully, I have given up on Brandon for this season. I still think he's a mlb pitcher and pretty damn close to taking a regular spot in the rotation. This will come off wrong, but I wish there had been a need in June for Brandon to make three or four starts in a row. Have him take spot, not have it hande to him via a trade like Brian Anderson. Ozzie is in a position where he has to guess who may have an ining or two and so far I'm not seeing any bullpen arms out there. This is a team that doesn't overwork relievers, so I can't blame Oz too much for not having bullpen arms in September. Oh don't take that the wrong way. I am not giving up on Brandon, even for this year. I am just wondering with the amount of input Ozzie seemingly gets into player moves, and his dislike for Bmac in the first place, if we could see the unthinkable happen, and see Brandon moved for a guy like Crawford in Tampa. I don't think so, but stranger things have happened. Just ask Jeremy Reed and Aaron Rowand.
- Spain bans too thin models
-
Should 9-11 be a national holiday
Feel free to explain your answers. I have my opinion, but I don't want to taint the thread at all, so I will wait. We had an interesting discussion about this at work today, and I was curious what other people thought.
-
Clinton & former administration officials question 9-11 miniseries
QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:30 AM) The firefighters and then several new tourist video's. Wow. I never knew there were other videos of the first plane's impact.
-
Clinton & former administration officials question 9-11 miniseries
QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:08 AM) Thanks Flash. I'm looking forward to watching it. On Saturday I watched a special on HBO detailing the day, for the first time saw the first plane hitting WTC North, and I just sat silent watching it. The video from the firefighters training on the streets or a new video?
-
5 years ago today...
QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:18 AM) I was already at work. Spent most of the day in the lunchroom watching. Howard is replaying his show from that day right now... It's so surreal to hear their speculation and reaction to the events as they happened. Being downtown in the financial district when this was going on was something else. The speculation and the fear was something I never want to experience again. The thing was that is was nothing compared to what my collegues in NYC had to go through. for the 2749 people who perished, and for all of their family, friends, coworkers, and everyone else who don't have a day go by that they aren't missing them.
-
And that's a White Sox loser
QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 03:58 PM) Why in the world would any competent human being start McCarthy in the 9th of a tie game (one that we had to win by the way)? Where was Thornton? Jenks? Then it gets worse as we put Logan and Tracey who are both jokes into the game to make the lead even bigger for "Big Mac" Sabathia and the Tribe. A golden opportunity to pick up another game on Detroit down the toilet again today. In the paper today, Ozzie said both Thorton and MacDougal were unavailable for yesterday's game. I know in my heart that Jenks is still hurt. Riske and Cotts have repeatedly coughed up games in the last month, so who exactly are you turning to in that situation? My arguement used to be that Bmac never got a chance, well that arguement is done. Guillen has put Brandon out there in just about every situation over the last few weeks to see what he was made of, and he didn't show anything. He used him twice in the 10th inning in a starteresque situation where he was out there to suck up innings and keep the team in it in a tie game, and he coughed up both of those games. He used him with runners on to try to stop the bleeding on Saturday and he blew that, and yesterday he tried him again in the ninth to potentially pitch multiple innings if we didn't score and he blew that one too. McCarthy has just killed us in September. I used to wonder why Guillen was hiding him in the pen, and why we didn't see him more often, well as usual, its looking like Ozzie knew what he was doing all along. QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:12 PM) PS: they're not overrated. It's just that Ozzie's not putting them in the best possible position to succeed. As I showed, Ozzie has thrown McCarthy out there in just about every possible situation within the last few weeks, and he has completely failed in all of them. The only thing he hasn't done is start, and QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:22 PM) Who do you think we're dealing with here? You honestly want to stretch out MacDougal considering his arm troubles, or his relatively violent delivery? Guillen didn't pitch Logan/Tracey because he hoped to raise their confidence. Extending MacDougal another inning yesterday with a two run lead, with Thornton available, basically left him unavailable this afternoon. He pitched the day before as well. It's that simple. Matt Thornton was also unavailable for today after his minimal outing on Sat, which means he was probably already tired going into that game, which is probably why Ozzie stuck with Mac as long as he did, well besides the obvious of trying to win that game. QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:50 PM) If you don't like it, leave. We're not hosting a forum just to have people b**** at us. ^ No joke. If you have to save up all of this anger for "I told you so" type posts, just leave. If you don't like it here, we don't want you here. QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 05:14 PM) Sorry but that was all on Ozzie... you know BMAC struggles with runners on bases... so why in the hell do you put him out there with the bases loaded... he's just not cut out to be a reliever... he needs to get into the rotation RIGHT NOW! Take someone else like Garcia and try him in the pen... I just also mentioned 3 situations where Guillen used Brandon to start off innings, in times where he would have effectively been a starter, coming in with games tied, and him needing to suck up innings to give his team a chance to score and win the game. All 3 of them in a row, he gave up runs in his very first inning out there. Tell me how effective he would be as a starter if he gave up runs in the first inning in every outing? QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 05:35 PM) Yeah, I'm done using that argument. After allowing runs in 6 straight appearances, McCarthy needs to be used in mop-up situations only. His stuff is pathetic on the mound right now. I really hope KW knows what he's doing by not trading McCarthy. I hate to say it, but McCarthy and his 3 losses in the last 2 weeks could easily cost us the playoffs this year. Good point. We can safely say that Brandon has had his chance now, unfortunately he did nothing with it. I am almost wondering if we could see a move for a big time leadoff hitter including Bmac now? Guillen obviously doesn't like the kid, and well he hasn't exactly proven Guillen's doubts wrong yet... Could Brandon have unintentionally helped Ozzie get someone else he wants by pitching like this in September? QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:58 PM) Wish I would have caught that, sounds like my kind of guy. Its too bad most of you all are too young to really remember McDowell. He was by far my favorite pitcher from that era. Dude was a really gutty guy, as that is exactly how he pitched. He wasn't afraid of anyone, and wanted the ball all of the time.
-
Clinton & former administration officials question 9-11 miniseries
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 03:01 PM) It cracks me up how the focus on my last post was '20 minutes' and I see 200 links refuting it. OF COURSE Clinton was worried about covering up a blow job. But none of that matter now. Southsider hit it on the head, though... Michael Moore is a f***ing celebrity, but now ABC is nothing short of political hacks. Amazing the double standard. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:15 PM) Look through the thread. You'll see people EQUATING Moore with ABC. That is the opposite of a double standard. No this is pretty much a double standard. I remember when Moore's movie came out, all of the stuff we heard about his being stifled, theaters didn't want to carry the movie, people were too busy tearing the movie apart to actually see it, there was too much spin control, they were trying to stifle this before an election... all of that stuff. The basic theme was that the evil neo-cons were trying to keep this poor individual from getting the truth out. Now the Clinton administration has an equivilant movie come out (and I use the word on purpose because they both seem to be able to be challenged factually depending on who you talk to. For every link that swears the conversation to not kill Bin Laden didn't happen, there are others who swear it did. In this situation we are taking the word of the people who looks the worst if it did indeed happen, so take that FWIW) Its always "different" when something like this kicks your idiology in the teeth. Republicians were outrages when Moore got away with it, and did everything to stop it, now the Dems are doing the exact samething. Yet somehow now it is different, even though all of the same basic arguements are being used (it isn't the "truth", what if people believe it, this is a politicial ploy, we are only trying to show how it "really happened" etc) QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 06:12 PM) Um, one question...can you tell me the last name of the person who is currently the presumptive front-runner for the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 2008? I have never understood that either. Of all of the stuff you can hang on HIllary!, there are much better things than what her husband did. The insider trading stuff is more interesting than anything, and before all of the links get posted declaring everything under the sun actually did or didn't happen, let me just say having worked where I have worked, I have a little more intimate knowledge than most. And in self-interest, that's about all I am going to say about that.
-
Chicago pictures.
Excellent pics D. Glad to see your time here wasn't marred too badly by the travel hassels.
-
Gore hasn't ruled out 2nd run
Given the choice between Hillary! and Al, I would vote for Gore in a second.
-
AND THIS BALLGAME IS OVA!!!!
QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 05:06 PM) Jenks was supposed to be healty. If he is then what happened? 4 doubles in the 9th and not a guy out. It seems our pitching staff looks for new goats every game He's not healthy, I don't care what he saids. Dude was only hitting 94-95 on the gun...
-
Is this the 06 Rally Crede?
Well that is two straight...
-
Clinton & former administration officials question 9-11 miniseries
Too bad this wasn't a college professors movie, it would have been OK then...
-
Black Jack to do Saturday Game
QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 07:15 PM) yeah i agree.... maybe its cause pbp is a little more mindless than color Trust me, after spending a few years broadcast, PBP is easy. Its color that take some work. I did like the chemistry in this booth though. Black Jack sounds much better this year.
-
And Thats a White Sox Winner
Damn, why do they have to make me work for this s***?
-
Sox fans, Brace for Changes
QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 01:57 PM) Please stop the "Because Crede did it, Anderson will do it, too". Just think about how ridiculous that arugment is when your really think about it. Makes sense... its not like they are coming out of the same minor league system having learned from the same coaches into the same big league situation or anything.... Why wouldn't you compare them? They both have/had the same long swing they are/were trying to cut down on, after having success with it at the minor league level. They both have/had the same problem with the hard breaking stuff away. They both bring superior defense to the game even as rookies, and are working under pressure at the major league level to learn how to hit. I don't know where the comparison between the two players would come from at all though...