Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....xml&src=rss
  2. It sucked enough to lose McCuddy's to the wrecking ball, and now some jackass with dollar signs in his eyes thinks he can waddle into bridgeport and open up his own cash cow... that's just wrong.
  3. Talk to Jimbo, and ask him if he wants our help! If there is anything Soxtalk is good at, it is pounding the pavement to get something done. In the meantime, just let it be known right now if Ray Degrazia decides to open up his own little bar in place of Jimbo's, he might as well not even waste his time, because no real Sox fan will ever even piss in there.
  4. southsider2k5 replied to Steff's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 03:22 PM) I already boycott Radio Shack - because everything costs twice as much as anywhere else. Not to mention their employees act like comissioned scumbags
  5. QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:36 AM) Oh, it's all downhill after 30. 2 years in and becomming a grama has solidified my place in the "hag HOF". Wait until you have your own, they you really get to feel old
  6. http://palehosesix.blogspot.com/
  7. Anyone know what we can do to help???
  8. QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 12:56 PM) Rocco's situation is much different than Dye's, just look at the nature of the injuries. Dye's have mainly been freak injuries, following balls off his shin has been his main problem as well as the spiderbite fiasco. Rocco on the other hand relies on his speed, without that he's nothing, he missed 230 games over 2 seasons because of a knee injury and since comming back this year in July he's missed games because of a hip injury and is fighting a nagging hamstring even now. I'm not really sure how a change of scenery is going to keep him from f***ing up his legs any further. I don't know if Baldelli is still hurt or not, but he looked god awful in CF... I am talking worse than Pods. Then again a pulled hammy shouldn't make you drop baseballs that hit your in the palm of the glove.
  9. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 03:27 PM) Well, there are no fine art schools around where I grew up. Not until I got to college. Why shouldn't I be forced to take an accounting class? I have to learn how to do my taxes, don't I? Most of the classes I was forced to take were intro classes. If I had interest in the field, I could go on to the advanced classes. Also, when you talk about a huge high school like the one I was at, the number of art students to business students was about 50/50. Obviously these numbers are inaccurate, but I'm not taking account for the kids that didn't want to do anything. You're arguing that with the wrong guy. I think the more you can teach at the HS level, the better. I think the more knowledge both in and out of the classroom you can give kids, the better. Whether we are talking about art, accounting, dress, social interaction skills, study ability, the desire to learn, economics, respect for authority or whatever. I see no problem giving kids a fully encompasing backround. I went to a school where the art/music department has been on the chopping block for at least 15 years because of a complete lack of enrollment in it. They had to fight during the last teachers contract to keep the art teachers, and one band director and stop them from eliminating the programs totally because the quantitative accountants can't justify the classes.
  10. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 02:41 PM) If it's vital, they should go to a private school. And like I said, these things need to be taken to the classroom. I don't think it's right to make EVERYONE join in these rules if it's not a big problem. Obviously if a girls nipples are hanging out or if a guys ass it staring everyone in the face something needs to be done. But that is rarely the case (or at least it wasn't at my school). Sure some skirts were risky and I could see a lot of guys underwear, but if I couldn't see their privates I didn't think it was an issue. Maybe somebody looks bad if their underwear is clear as day, but honestly, where is the harm? There was a certain point in my high school career where I didn't need to take art classes. I believe I only needed 1 credit. After that, whether I wanted to take more or not was up to me. Since I liked it, I took more. (Once the school ran out of art classes to take, you could do independant study and it was basically you and the teacher concentrating on where your interests peak. It was something I did and something I enjoyed.) And the fact is that school is a grey matter. There is no telling what is best for the kids. There are opinions and theories, but who is anybody to say what is best? I hate finance and once I finished off those credits I never touched them again. I had friends that continued on with those classes just as I had friends that continued on with the arts. If dressing clean was what was going to be best for me, I'd have done it. Since it isn't, what should I care? So why don't fine art kids go to a different school? Like I said more kids end up needing a dress code, than using fine arts in their professions. Why is it wrong to force kids to follow a dress code, but OK to force them to take classes most will never use again? I don't get how one thing is so vital, yet the other is pointless?
  11. QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 02:51 PM) But we would have WON one of the two games, instead of losing both. But can you imagine the value he would have if Ozzie had protected the team by yanking Javy after 5 innings and going with McCarthy? He could easily be an 18-game winner already. We would have huh? I guess we know Brandon would have never coughed up the game, or Cotts or Riske for that matter. What about the frying of the bullpen? Does that factor in anywhere, or do we know that they would be OK, no matter what?
  12. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 02:12 PM) Well, the problem in my field is that there is very little to be taught. Most is up for open interpretation. And that in a nutshell is why I hated the fine arts. It just was 180 degrees of everything that is me. I got way more out of rules that told me how to dress in high school, than I did out of any of those classes combined. I like answers, I hate gray. Philosophy was an excrucitaingly miserable class for me because of that fact. If I ask a question, I want an answer, not another question. To me a painting is a painting, there is no deeper meaning, I don't get it, and I don't pretend to do so. No art class ever did a bit of good for me in that respect. Now what if my idea for change and rebellion was that kids shouldn't waste their time with that intangible stuff, and instead they should concentrate on stuff they can use in the future? What if I feel that forcing kids to take fine arts is facist, and controling their lives unfairly, because they can't express freely themselves by taking someone cool like Economics or Finance? Guess what, I would be taking away from the education of someone else. For someone else that dress code is a vital lesson that they need in life, just like music could be the key to your life.
  13. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:52 PM) There are classes that do that. Or at least I had classes that taught me how and where to dress appropriately. If they want to teach the kids these type of skills, take it to the classroom. The way I dressed never had anything to do with my artistic abilities as I look to write novels, but seeing art unfold all around me every day, I see where the appearance of ones dress style does matter. I mean, can you imagine The Beatles if they were forced to get hair cuts, or ZZ Top if they were forced to shave, or Picasso if he were told to make something the "general public" could understand or my favorite, if Bob Dylan wrote how his critics told him to write? A dress code is a disaster if you ask me. Teaching them how to dress in the classroom is not. They'll gain the knowledge (and likely in better detail and understanding) while allowing freedom of expression for those who may depend on it. Can you imagine if someone had been taught that I didn't have to wear what society told me to, and I couldn't find a person who would hire me because of it? What I had never been taught how to study, because there were no need for it if I worked as a bagger at Wal-Mart, so why should they force it on me? What if no one had ever instilled work ethic in me because you don't do homework as a trading floor liason? There are certian basic expectations that 99.9% of people are going to have of you once you exit high school. I see it as a necesity to instill as many of these as possible into the kids for their graduation dates. Out of curiousity, would anyone take my art seriously if I dressed for shows like a business professional?
  14. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:37 PM) No, now you're skewing my words. Forcing kids to take classes "they don't want to take" is about the only thing the school system is getting right. It teaches them firstly, basic skills, and secondly, promotes difference. I hated math and science and that horrible accounting class I had to take, but at the same time I knew I was in there. If I don't try it, how do I know I won't like it? As far as you hating art, it's quite obvious then why we have different view points here. Well taking that to the next logical step, why should we force kids to adhere to a basic dress code? Because it benefits them in the long run, just like teaching fine arts benefits kids in the long run. It teaches them what the expectations are for the great majority of them after school. I'd be willing to bet a vast majority more people will see a dress code in the future, vs using the fine arts in their future. Why should we spend time teaching skills to people that they will probably never use, while excluding things that they almost certianly will use? Using myself for fine arts, vs using your self for dress codes are two great examples of things that were complete wastes of time for what we want our lives to be. I have no problem with kids getting taught that kind of stuff, despite it being absolutely pointless for me, and for most people. But I also feel that learning how to dress properly for a situation is something that every kid should learn.
  15. QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:31 PM) Well, you're basically wrong on both fronts. Not really sure why you mentioned the Cubs, as far as I know they've never signed a draft pick with a clause in his contract that he must be called up by September after being drafted earlier in the season. It has nothing to do with being thin pitching wise, they HAVE to call him up. Try doing a little research next time...
  16. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:29 PM) I grew up loving the arts. And I hope to make a living from the arts. In the arts, change is everything. I guess in the business world change is death? Fact is, I hope I never have to wear a suit and tie to work. I would have never taken anykind of class like that if it were up to me. I hated art, music, philosophy... all of that. I didn't get it, I don't get it, and I never will. I would have taken all totally different classes than stuff if it were up to me. At 14 should I have been able to say "no" simply because I didn't like it? Should I have been able to be different than every student in my HS, and say "screw that" to the fine arts?
  17. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:21 PM) Don't you see that a dress code is a social judgment? According to some science is a social judgement, are you saying we should stop teaching it as well? According to other English is a social judgement, because not everyone speaks it, or speaks it the way that we do, should we stop doing that as well? Even teaching art is a social judgement because how many people ever do anything with that in their lives? 99.9% of people could care less about it, but yet people still insist we teach it to keep kids well rounded? How far do you want to go with letting kids do whatever they want? Should kids like me who thought things like Art and Music were a complete waste of time in school be able to decide that we don't want to take them, just to be different?
  18. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:16 PM) Then why the f*** do schools sit back and not work to change this? Why is it schools role to change things? My philosophy is that is a schools role to prepare you for the next level of life. If life is going to dictate that you are going to dress in some degree of professionalness at the next level, why should school teach you otherwise? Why should it be upto schools to make social judgements on what is and what is not appropriate for kids to learn?
  19. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:02 PM) I understand that. I also recognize that I should be hired by my qualifications, not by the shirt I wear. If you look at some of the richest people in the world, they got there by doing something different, not by conforming. If anyone would take a second and realize that difference is good (and it's a bit shocking that nobody wants to see it from this perspective as Chicago has a HUGE artist community, and not to mention one of the biggest art schools in the country, Columbia College -- a school that promotes difference and does a damn good job doing it) then perhaps the "real world" wouldn't be about "professionalism". Baseball players get contracts on account of how well they play baseball. This is the way it should be everywhere else. It'd be nice and all of the world was really that way, but its not. There are a lot of things that should be, but the fact is they aren't. Using the example of an art school doesn't actually help much, because their enviornment's dress code is much different than 99% of kids are actually going to see in life. It also fails because for the example you are siting of an art school, proper dress dictates that you can where what you want at the next level. Like I sited a couple of days ago, in our accounting program you had to wear professional dress to class everyday, because that is what was appropriate. Then at the next level, Manchester accountants are highly sought after because employers know that they know their stuff, and how they will act in the work place, because they know they come with some basic knowledge. The baseball analogy also fails when you see guys playing based on the size of their contracts, instead of on their output. Ask Brandon McCarthy if he thinks he is where he should be based on how well he plays baseball. Hell I think a big part of the problems in this day and age is that we don't do enough to prepare kids for the real world. Things like social promotion, everybody gets a trophy, graduations ceremonies from every grade etc, paint an unrealistic view of what your asshole boss is going to be like when he wants something done.
  20. Bob, with all due respect, I think you are missing the big picture. A big part of our educational system is things the kids learn that are not in text books. There are habits and skills that kids will learn in school that will benefit them after they leave school, that have zero to do with something on the SATs. Things like studying, homework, dress code, etc promote habits, lessons, and skills that begin to prepare kids for adulthood. A dress code is a great practice tool for the fact that 99% of workplaces don't want your ass hanging out while you are on their time, and there is a reason for that. It isn't because the principal is mean, or out of touch, or racist, or whatever. Proper dress for proper enviornment is a skill that kids should learn before they are 23 and their boss sends them home for having their cleavage hanging, or their gut hanging out over their low-riders at work. School isn't just about test scores, its about preparing kids for the real world.
  21. QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 11:17 AM) If Ozzie Guillen ever starts making baseball moves concerning line up changes, batting orders and personnel based on posts from this board he should be fired! B) Heck if it were up to a Soxtalk vote, JD would have been released in April of 05 anyways, it wouldn't really matter anyway
  22. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 10:23 PM) How many colleges enforce a dress code? In fact, I can go to class in my underwear, wear a hat, not shower, not shave, and display beer and profanity all over my clothes and never have a word said about it to me. Kids learn to be adults in college, in high school they learn how to get to college. When people are forced to go to school, to tell them how to dress is fascist. That's Ok. These same kids who think it is too big of a burden to follow a dress code in HS, are the same ones who still can't do it when they hit the workplace. All it means is more opportunities for people who do get it. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14576541/
  23. Has anyone seen a solid list of name players who have cleared waivers, or been claimed and pulled back?
  24. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/30/nyregion...agewanted=print Think they will take a check?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.