Everything posted by Dick Allen
-
OF Options
QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 08:44 AM) I'd do Petricka and Garcia for Bruce as well. Bruce has been bad but he offers LH power. I'd consider Saunders as well if it's cheap. Isn't Saunders knee the reason the trade didn't work?
-
OF Options
QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 08:41 AM) What do you like about him? Groundball %? I'm really just curious as I think he's the bullpen guy that I'd move ideally. His Walks/Hits to K% is bad and a recipe for disaster at some point if you ask me. I think he is going to start striking people out a bit more, and he does keep the ball in the park. Plus he's a rubber arm. You can abuse him if necessary.
-
OF Options
I really like Petricka. I hope the Sox don't trade him for someone fairly average or below.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 07:56 AM) I have my doubts the Sox ever wanted Saladino to be a full-time starter too. But I think it's for a more positive reason. With his athleticism, speed, and defensive abilities, Saladino has a chance of being an outstanding super-utility guy (SS, 3B, 2B, OF ... even train him to be an emergency C as well to maximize roster flexibility). He'll never be Zobrist with the bat, but he'll be a far better defensive player and he very well might max out as decent with the bat (plus with occasional pop). I really like him for that role and I have a strong sense that Rick and the gang see that in him too. As for Rollins, I think adding him on a minor league deal (given the above about Saladino) was a great move. If he's got a reasonable amount left in the tank (and there is ample reason to suspect he does), then he'll be a very good bridge to Anderson. Plus, leadership IS an actual thing. Especially in baseball. I love advanced metrics as well as the next guy (well, most of the next guys), but there is no metric available to account for how certain players can help boost the quantitative metrics of other players. You don't think that Mark Buehrle and Matt Thornton added value to Chris Sale? Sale will tell you otherwise. Veterans and strong character guys like Jimmy Rollins and Alex Avila will absolutely help lay a stronger foundation for and bring out the best in talented (but rudderless) guys like Lawrie and Soxtalk's favorite whipping boy -- Avi Garcia. I love the idea of baseball QUALITY rubbing off on guys like Lawrie and Garcia (and later Tim Anderson) over the course of the very long baseball season. In the new BP, one of their writers wrote a break up letter to WAR. It was pretty interesting. His jist was WAR is still good, there is just some things WAR cannot measure like leadership, that he thinks is important. It was a pretty clever letter. There's a reason Rollins can be had for a minor league contract. We all know it. But, what does it hurt to see what he's got? The cost is right. At the very least, it keeps Saladino on his toes this spring. Maybe Rollins makes the team and does well. Maybe he makes the team and he sucks. Maybe he doesn't make the team. We will see, but there is zero harm, and perhaps being around him in the spring does the younger guys some good.
-
Hahn's Comments Monday 2/22...
QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:55 PM) to me, there was really no intention of signing any big FA or OF'er this yr, he says it right there, in the bold. they are done. I disagree. I think they were willing to stretch it for certain guys. I am over the disappointment of them not getting Gordon or Cespedes or Upton. But upgrades remain. I do think sometimes they have to bite the bullet and take a chance, and I don't think signing Fowler to a 2 year contract around $25 million is a huge risk these days. I still think they will add an OF. If not, it will be a downer. Especially if Avi performs like the sabermatricians think he will, not how the Sox hope he will.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:32 PM) Dude they got beaten so thoroughly, one of the most lopsided series in MLB postseason history, that I dont think home field would've made any difference. The Mets absolutely bamboozled them. Didn't they play 2 in NY and 2 in Wrigley? It would have been the same if the Cubs had home field. They were 0-4.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:35 PM) God if we were this honest about the White Sox, people would stop crying in their beer when the good guys are out of it in July. You want to be depressed about the White Sox, go get BP. The PECOTAs look OK, but every write up of a position player except for Eaton, is brutal. Even Abreu the writer seems to think is in line for a total collapse. LaRoche, the guy they said wouldn't ever fall of a cliff last year, apparently fell off a cliff. He's done according to the writer. Melky, done. Avila, his dad doesn't even want him, done. Huge mistake dumping Flowers. Saladino, no good. They even said Sanchez wasn't a good defensive 2B. They did like Frazier, so I guess there were 2 they liked, and were pretty neutral on Lawrie. Go by the write ups, they are a 95 loss team. Go by the PECOTAS, definitely have a shot at the playoffs. BP was very weird this year. The team write up was all about trying to find a replacement for Ray Durham. Very strange.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
Hahn also said he wouldn't be surprised if Anderson was in the major leagues this season. Maybe SS will be like the closer in 2005. Rollins starts out, sucks, is released. Saladino takes over, does OK, gets hurt, Anderson comes in and shines.
-
2016 MLB catch all thread
How would you like to owe this guy $80 million the next 4 years? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbxRaiNWEAA6d2k.jpg
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
Colleen Kane @ChiTribKane Jimmy Rollins has played 2,192 games at SS and 1 at 2B. Can win SS job, but White Sox say they will have him prepare in utility role too.
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
I still think the Bulls need to cut bait with him, but DRose has been looking really good lately.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 01:07 PM) Then why didn't Rollins get a guaranteed MLB contract if the Sox are that confident in Rollins being the starting SS? Nothing in Hahn's comments indicate Rollins is a sure thing to start at SS. Yes. I think he picked the White Sox because he thought he had a better shot at starting. Probably with the other teams, he was going to be a utility guy. Maybe that is what he is here, or maybe he doesn't make the team. All I know is that if he is starting, he outplayed Saladino, so he should be starting.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 12:15 PM) So true. I mean you don't see a first class organization like the Cubs adding Matt Murton, Manny Parra, and Aaron Crow. They also signed a #3 pitcher older than Rollins.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
The great part about this is it's a minor league contract. If he shows he really has nothing left, they are under zero pressure to keep him. Plus he is motivated to show his tank isn't empty, and Saladino benefits from some competition.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:41 AM) Just add Rollins to the ever growing list of players that the Sox get past their primes. Griffey, Ramirez, Vizquel, Jones, Dunn, LaRoche, etc. It's pathetic. It's not like they gave him all their available funds and are counting on him being a big contributor. There is nothing wrong with this move. Some were perplexed when Alexei's $10 million option wasn't picked up last fall. Guess what, this guy has been better the last couple of years.
-
Players have begun showing up for Spring Training already
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:13 AM) While I'll agree spring training is too long for position players, guys revamping their swing should probably come to camp a bit early. He could be working with it elsewhere. I don't see where a day or 2 makes much of a difference.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:20 AM) What was your favorite moment of the Ian Desmond White Sox era? Probably when Heyman got used and abused by his agent.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:18 AM) Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 18s19 seconds ago Rollins, per source, rejected 2 teams that offered super-utility jobs and guaranteed deals for more $. Wanted chance to win SS job with CWS. That's good news. Let the battle begin.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
He has actually put up a better fWAR than Alexei the last 2 seasons.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:06 AM) Any chance he actually plays at AAA or does he just get released if he doesn't make the team? I would think no chance. Maybe he is a back up instead of Sanchez.
-
White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins
Low risk, low reward, but at least some reward possible. He was awful last season.
-
Players have begun showing up for Spring Training already
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:54 AM) No reason to show up early if you have no one pushing you for playing time. Joe Maddon hates when guys show up early.
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
The Lakers have a few really nice talents. I think the real reason they only have 11 wins is because this year is all about Kobe chucking them up. Russell, Randle and Clarkson isn't a bad start.
-
Latos still has fluid on knee, might not make opening day
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:18 AM) Why would it be helpful to lower your negotiating position with another team or free agent until you have to....? I guess the better question is why is the Daily Herald seemingly making a bigger deal out of it than the Trib or Sun-Times? Hahn's comments were made yesterday. The contract was already negotiated. Read the article again. It says he still has fluid, but it also says he feels great. If they can manage it, he should be fine. It's not necessarily a big deal.
-
Avisail Garcia will be...
I still think he will be a platoon OF/DH or an ex-White Sox. Hahn will bring in someone.