David Robertson is a fantastic closer

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the extra money would have made this team better, but I still really wanted them to let the Yankees eat his contract when they claimed him off waivers last year. It just seems like an unnecassary expense for a team that's not competing.

I know that every closer blows saves, but it seems like the good ones avoid the extra demoralizing ones that send the team down a spiral. There have multiple losses like that this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)
Someone gets it...yay!

$11 million closers are unnecessary luxuries on .500ish teams.

I'm not overreacting to last night's game, but he should be the #1 guy you look into moving at the deadline. He makes $25M the next two years, which could be better utilized elsewhere on the roster. Additionally, I think you should actually be able to get a halfway decent prospect for him. I just worry Robertson may regress over the next two years and then you've really got a real problem on your hands. Move him now and let Jones have a shot.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Agree Robertson has been great for us. My problem is more that Robin babies Sale. This happened in a game last year (against Cleveland I believe) where Sale was dominant and had his unhittable stuff going, then Robin pulled him for some reason going into the 9th. Tonight Sale was at the 100 pitch mark through 8 innings of 1 HIT ball--a clip of about 13 pitches per inning. The next 4 hitters due up were 1 for 10 on the night against him. I understand being mindful of Sale's pitches, but as long as the game is still in doubt, you run your ACE out for the 9th. He's going for a 1-hit shutout--you run him out to at LEAST start the 9th. Do you think Baumgarner gets pulled in that situation? Kershaw? Cueto? No. They finish what they started even if it means throwing a few extra DOMINANT pitches. He's thrown 118 this year, 119, 113...he's your ace for crying out loud. If you get burned, so be it, but you have to learn from it. Robin just plain repeats the process and makes the same mistakes over and over and watches these types of games get blown up. Robertson shouldn't have been in that situation. That was Sales masterpiece to finish, but daddy came in and took his paint brush away so he could get a bath in before bed. Makes me sick. These guys are GROWN MEN.

Even if Jones (ultimately) fails, which is worse case scenario that you didnt get more value trading him now, you can still throw Burdi, Danish, Hansen (maybe!), Stephens, Guerrero....Ynoa, Kahnle, etc., at the problem.

Some will stick, it's simply a numbers (and talent) game. Maybe even Gonzalez or Fulmer.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
Agree Robertson has been great for us. My problem is more that Robin babies Sale. This happened in a game last year (against Cleveland I believe) where Sale was dominant and had his unhittable stuff going, then Robin pulled him for some reason going into the 9th. Tonight Sale was at the 100 pitch mark through 8 innings of 1 HIT ball--a clip of about 13 pitches per inning. The next 4 hitters due up were 1 for 10 on the night against him. I understand being mindful of Sale's pitches, but as long as the game is still in doubt, you run your ACE out for the 9th. He's going for a 1-hit shutout--you run him out to at LEAST start the 9th. Do you think Baumgarner gets pulled in that situation? Kershaw? Cueto? No. They finish what they started even if it means throwing a few extra DOMINANT pitches. He's thrown 118 this year, 119, 113...he's your ace for crying out loud. If you get burned, so be it, but you have to learn from it. Robin just plain repeats the process and makes the same mistakes over and over and watches these types of games get blown up. Robertson shouldn't have been in that situation. That was Sales masterpiece to finish, but daddy came in and took his paint brush away so he could get a bath in before bed. Makes me sick. These guys are GROWN MEN.

Agreed. This game was Sale's to lose. Let him have the CG. Even if he throws 120 pitches, will it make a difference? Robin did the samething to Sale a few weeks ago and I hated it.

QUOTE (Coach @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 07:37 AM)
Agreed. This game was Sale's to lose. Let him have the CG. Even if he throws 120 pitches, will it make a difference? Robin did the samething to Sale a few weeks ago and I hated it.

He barely escaped the 8th and lost all control. You pay a closer to close, and he didnt.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 07:28 AM)
Even if Jones (ultimately) fails, which is worse case scenario that you didnt get more value trading him now, you can still throw Burdi, Danish, Hansen (maybe!), Stephens, Guerrero....Ynoa, Kahnle, etc., at the problem.

Some will stick, it's simply a numbers (and talent) game. Maybe even Gonzalez or Fulmer.

names names names names

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 06:45 AM)
names names names names

Fine, in your opinion, should they trade or hold Robertson?

Do you believe Jones can successfully post an 80-85% save conversion percentage?

Do you trade Jones instead of Robertson?

Do you trade neither, and why?

Who are the three best equipped minor league pitchers for 7th-9th inning duties?

Need any more, or will that keep you busy enough for now?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:12 AM)
Fine, in your opinion, should they trade or hold Robertson?

Do you believe Jones can successfully post an 80-85% save conversion percentage?

Do you trade Jones instead of Robertson?

Do you trade neither, and why?

Who are the three best equipped minor league pitchers for 7th-9th inning duties?

Need any more, or will that keep you busy enough for now?

PABLO OZUNA JACK MCDOWELL ROBERTO HERNANDEZ PACO MARTIN

QUOTE (Coach @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
But it was still his to lose. Great pitchers can overcome and find the form.

No it wasnt. He had a 3 run lead and was losing his stuff.

You pay 40 million dollars for Robertson to close, and this was a picture perfect opportunity and he failed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
No it wasnt. He had a 3 run lead and was losing his stuff.

You pay 40 million dollars for Robertson to close, and this was a picture perfect opportunity and he failed.

Sale at 100 pitches is better than a fresh Robertson. He's our best chance to win at any point of the game. He's not just our best pitcher either...he's the best pitcher in the American League. If he runs into trouble, you go get your fresh arm with a little adrenaline to go with it. Again...the hitters due up were 1 for 10 on the night. You bet on your ace to come through and seal the deal first. He's not 10 years old, he's in the prime of his career. Let the closer come in if there is trouble or an option other than Chris Freaking Sale pitching.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
Sale at 100 pitches is better than a fresh Robertson. He's our best chance to win at any point of the game. He's not just our best pitcher either...he's the best pitcher in the American League. If he runs into trouble, you go get your fresh arm with a little adrenaline to go with it. Again...the hitters due up were 1 for 10 on the night. You bet on your ace to come through and seal the deal first. He's not 10 years old, he's in the prime of his career. Let the closer come in if there is trouble or an option other than Chris Freaking Sale pitching.

Nope. But at least I know you werent actually watching the game.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Mature analysis...might make you eligible to apply for a job in the Sox front office.

To be fair, at this point if we ran the Baseball-Reference linker on your posts we'd multiply Soxtalk's traffic 10-fold

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
Nope. But at least I know you werent actually watching the game.

It's all good! I was watching. During the game, there will be ups and downs--Sale was struggling a bit but still getting outs with other pitches. I don't hate your philosophy--not upset at all that you disagree and I respect your thoughts. I'm just passionate about this particular situation because I'm old school when it comes to letting your starter finish the game when he's been dominant. Even more so when it's your ace, and even more so when it's the best ace in the league. I think managers baby their pitchers and it drives me crazy. Bring Robertson in to close out a fading Rodon. Leave Sale alone. The only way you take him out is if Sale requests it. I bet you a crisp dollar that Sale believed with his whole heart that he could finish that game--even with fading stuff. It would take an injury for him to want out. Fatigue means nothing to a champion. He knows his body better than anyone.

Jordan took the last shot of the game because there was no better option in the world to take that shot--even if he was tired. He had likely taken 20 other shots before the last, and he was probably tired, but if you had told him he was going to sit out the last shot so Toni Kukoc could do HIS job and score, he would have walked off the court. The most important aspect of that is that PHIL JACKSON KNEW THAT. Phil Jackson LET Jordan be the champion that he was. He didn't take the ball from him BEFORE the winning shot. Robin simply doesn't think like a champion so therefore none of his players are allowed to be champions. The decisions that MAKE champions are taken away from them and passed on to other people when the game is on the line.

Sale's arm is worth $20M+ when he's using it to throw a baseball every 5 days--not when he's resting it peacefully on the bench with the game on the line--after only throwing 100 pitches through 8 dominant shut out innings--while another guy finishes HIS GAME.

All the respect in the world for my fellow Sox fans...even a big fan of Rock Raines! But this aint gonna change my mind!

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
To be fair, at this point if we ran the Baseball-Reference linker on your posts we'd multiply Soxtalk's traffic 10-fold

So how can we talk about trading Robertson without speculating on who/m should replace him?

He sucks! Trade him! Pitchforks and torches to the barricades.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
It's all good! I was watching. During the game, there will be ups and downs--Sale was struggling a bit but still getting outs with other pitches. I don't hate your philosophy--not upset at all that you disagree and I respect your thoughts. I'm just passionate about this particular situation because I'm old school when it comes to letting your starter finish the game when he's been dominant. Even more so when it's your ace, and even more so when it's the best ace in the league. I think managers baby their pitchers and it drives me crazy. Bring Robertson in to close out a fading Rodon. Leave Sale alone. The only way you take him out is if Sale requests it. I bet you a crisp dollar that Sale believed with his whole heart that he could finish that game--even with fading stuff. It would take an injury for him to want out. Fatigue means nothing to a champion. He knows his body better than anyone.

Jordan took the last shot of the game because there was no better option in the world to take that shot--even if he was tired. He had likely taken 20 other shots before the last, and he was probably tired, but if you had told him he was going to sit out the last shot so Toni Kukoc could do HIS job and score, he would have walked off the court. The most important aspect of that is that PHIL JACKSON KNEW THAT. Phil Jackson LET Jordan be the champion that he was. He didn't take the ball from him BEFORE the winning shot. Robin simply doesn't think like a champion so therefore none of his players are allowed to be champions. The decisions that MAKE champions are taken away from them and passed on to other people when the game is on the line.

Sale's arm is worth $20M+ when he's using it to throw a baseball every 5 days--not when he's resting it peacefully on the bench with the game on the line--after only throwing 100 pitches through 8 dominant shut out innings--while another guy finishes HIS GAME.

All the respect in the world for my fellow Sox fans...even a big fan of Rock Raines! But this aint gonna change my mind!

I agree with you 100%. True champions want to finish. Robin can never understand that.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)

When it comes to Sale's value, you are light by at least 50%.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
Mature analysis...might make you eligible to apply for a job in the Sox front office.

you just randomly named 10 different players, 2 of which have been in the organization for less than 3 months, as possible closers for this team. Dont get your panties in a bunch when ridiculousness gets thrown back in your face.

Maybe you can apply for the Sox front office. Just make sure to let them know that what you said 20 minutes ago doesnt mean anything now.

The timing of this blown save really freaking sucked. It's caused a lot of people to overreact a bit, which is understandable.

But these sort of things happen. Robertson hasn't been elite, but he's been solid .The comparison to Addison Reed is laughable.

Ultimately, David Robertson is not anywhere near this team's bigger problems.