Futures game

daa84

Moncada is the man.

I'm not even 100% sure the Red Sox would trade him for Quintana...let alone adding Benitendi.

At some point, they'll have to replace Pedroia. And it's not like Travis Shaw is going to stand in his way at 3B.

The offer will be Benitendi and other "famous" Red Sox prospect names at the lower levels. Maybe Owens is another.

Seeing why it's not obvious that Burdi's set to just come up and dominate with Stanek's struggles.

And the Cubs...what an embarrassment of riches, between Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jimenez...talk about bat speed and hand-eye coordination.

Obviously whoever ranked him first coming out of that international class (and it was pretty universal) wasn't off on their projection.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
I'd be surprised if he doesn't start next Sunday in Anaheim. He looked very good and the other options aren't that good.

Why is this the date? Can't they run out Sale, Q, Shields, and Gonzalez Friday-Monday? (Also, I get that 2 of those guys may pitch in the All-Star game, but that shouldn't discount them from throwing the first 2 games of the next half.

Edit: or did they already announce the rotation for next half?

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
And the Cubs...what an embarrassment of riches, between Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jimenez...talk about bat speed and hand-eye coordination.

Torres - $2.8 million signing bonus

Jiminez - $2.8 million dollar bonus

Bonifacio - $3 million salary.

Beckham - $2 million salary

And we wonder why?.......

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
Torres - $2.8 million signing bonus

Jiminez - $2.8 million dollar bonus

Bonifacio - $3 million salary.

Beckham - $2 million salary

And we wonder why?.......

Jorge Soler - $30M

Gerardo Concepcion - $7M

New White Sox motto: Hey, At Least We Avoiding Paying Penalties for Bringing in Premium Talent Like The Cubs

Kind of goes against the argument that they don't care about winning, and/or they still believe paying the penalties to be worth it compared to having to overpay for players like Lester or Heyward. And that's probably right, all things considered. Same with the way the Red Sox have been doing things ever since Epstein arrived. Exploit market inefficiencies...in this case, the fact that only about 8-10 teams in the major leagues can afford to employ this strategy and absorb the losses that it entails for the diamonds that are unearthed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
New White Sox motto: Hey, At Least We Avoiding Paying Penalties for Bringing in Premium Talent Like The Cubs

Kind of goes against the argument that they don't care about winning, and/or they still believe paying the penalties to be worth it compared to having to overpay for players like Lester or Heyward. And that's probably right, all things considered. Same with the way the Red Sox have been doing things ever since Epstein arrived. Exploit market inefficiencies...in this case, the fact that only about 8-10 teams in the major leagues can afford to employ this strategy and absorb the losses that it entails for the diamonds that are unearthed.

If the Sox were drawing 35k a night being terrible they would sign these guys and pay penalties. Last I checked, though the futures game performance doesn't get you into the hall of fame. But I am sure they are can't miss.

How much did the Sox spend on Abreu?

You really have no clue. It is so comical how ridiculous you have become.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 07:12 PM)
If the Sox were drawing 35k a night being terrible they would sign these guys and pay penalties. Last I checked, though the futures game performance doesn't get you into the hall of fame. But I am sure they are can't miss.

How much did the Sox spend on Abreu?

You really have no clue. It is so comical how ridiculous you have become.

Abreu wasn't an amateur signing - he was ready to play player...essentially a free Agent. He was not a long-term international investment whose fruits wouldn't be seen for years.

It's a legitimate question whether the resources used on utility infielders and AAAA pitchers year after year wouldn't be better served as investments in the organization, including international signings. The Sox basically do the minimum.

Edited by GreenSox

Great, Dick Allen has raised another $20-22 million in revenue to spend.

Oops, it just went out the window. Even if we were averaging 35,000 rather than 21,000+, it wouldn't be enough to afford Yoenis Cespedes for this season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2006

36,511 per game

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...cago-white-sox/

White Sox raised the payroll by A WHOPPING $6 million dollars to reward all those fans from 2006, going into the 2007 season. Not to mention the ticket price increases going into 2006, borne by the fans of a World Series-winning team.

There's no way to believe the White Sox are suddenly going to change 35 years of history. Most of their money gets plugged into the major league roster. Always has been this way, with just a few exceptions like Borchard and Vicedo, and those two were seen as relatively advanced prospects (compared to high schoolers).

In all likelihood, we would have ended up with Alex Gordon...and not be any better off for it, except having another bad contract on their hands.

I still don't see any reason to believe the White Sox were going to bid $30 million for Cespedes to play for them in 2016...it beggars belief. The one and only exception to that has been Albert Belle, and luckily they had the escape clauses in that deal or they would have been totally screwed.

While I would like to believe they'd invest in the Yoan Moncadas, rather than the Tanakas (always coming in second or third) and Abreus, just don't see it happening.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
The sox did spend $68 million on unknown Jose Abreu. I mean I wanted Moncada when he was a FA but I can't get too pissed off because they did spend on Abreu.

Unknown to American baseball fans.

Not to the professional scouting community or anyone who follows Cuban baseball.

He's not a flashy player, so he didn't get as much attention as Cespedes and Puig, but every scout in the world had him on their radar. (As we have mentioned 100 times, most of the big market players that offseason weren't looking to replace their 1B, I think the other two primary suitors were the Rockies and Astros.)

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 01:39 AM)
Wow I totally forgot about Concepcion. That dude was HYPPPED up. Just looked up his numbers. He's f***ing TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE. :o

I expect Caulfield and GreenSox to complain about this deal for at least 3 years.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03...uit-cubs-figure

5 years/$6 million....lots of hype!!! About the same as the Bonifacio and Beckham signings.

Actually, even at that time, the perception was that it was an overpay and it was doubtful he would even make the majors...in the aftermath of all those signings like Soler and Puig, the market for all things Cuban quickly overinflated.

Maybe it was worth it just for the resulting publicity, because that money for Boni and Beckham wasn't noticed by anyone but die-hard Sox fans on page 22D, buried in the sports section.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 12:46 AM)
I expect Caulfield and GreenSox to complain about this deal for at least 3 years.

Just for fun....

Cubs major international signings ($1M+ bonuses)

Luis Acosta - $1.1M - Out of baseball

Mark Malave - $1.6M - Out of baseball

Kyuji Fujikawa - $1.0M - Out of baseball

Juan Paniagua - $1.5M - 26 years old and a nearly 6 BB/9 in AA.

They have signed many more over $1M, but a lot of them are either too young to consider busts yet. But I saw like 20-25 players since 2011 they have signed for $1M+, and that includes a year that they got penalized to stay under $250K. When you are breaking the rules and loading up on the best INT'L talent, you are going to hit on a few of them. So far, they are.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 01:09 AM)
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03...uit-cubs-figure

5 years/$6 million....lots of hype!!! About the same as the Bonifacio and Beckham signings.

Actually, even at that time, the perception was that it was an overpay and it was doubtful he would even make the majors...in the aftermath of all those signings like Soler and Puig, the market for all things Cuban quickly overinflated.

Maybe it was worth it just for the resulting publicity, because that money for Boni and Beckham wasn't noticed by anyone but die-hard Sox fans on page 22D, buried in the sports section.

Why do you keep comparing the cost to add a major league player to a major league roster to the cost of signing bonus for an international prospect? Those are different markets...

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 12:16 AM)
Just for fun....

Cubs major international signings ($1M+ bonuses)

Luis Acosta - $1.1M - Out of baseball

Mark Malave - $1.6M - Out of baseball

Kyuji Fujikawa - $1.0M - Out of baseball

Juan Paniagua - $1.5M - 26 years old and a nearly 6 BB/9 in AA.

They have signed many more over $1M, but a lot of them are either too young to consider busts yet. But I saw like 20-25 players since 2011 they have signed for $1M+, and that includes a year that they got penalized to stay under $250K. When you are breaking the rules and loading up on the best INT'L talent, you are going to hit on a few of them. So far, they are.

It's very simple...over time, you can track the collective major league WAR of those players and the compare it to the average $6-8 million cost per 1 unit of WAR for adding (mostly) 30+ veteran FA's.

Which is the best way to build a team?

Just like you can do the same thing for all the Sox FA WAR over the past 1 1/2 seasons for LaRoche/Melky/Robertson/Bonifacio/Beckham/Turner/Navarro/Latos/Avila/A.Jackson/Rollins/Gonzalez, etc.

I would guess the Dodgers aren't getting a very good return on their investment. The Cubs, Red Sox and Rangers are doing much better.

With JR, it's always been the major league team's record being 10X more important then developing lottery tickets.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 12:24 AM)
Why do you keep comparing the cost to add a major league player to a major league roster to the cost of signing bonus for an international prospect? Those are different markets...

As Mr. Richard Allen said, if the White Sox were drawing 35,000 per game (and the Cubs are higher than that) instead of 22,000 (25th in the majors), they'd be plugging $20-25 million extra per season into the international market like the Cubs have been doing...

So that's why. Obviously when they do sign international players, they prefer for them to be major league ready (or as close to as possible):

Takatsu

Iguchi

Alexei Ramirez

Viciedo (19 but before it was broken into under 21 and over 21 categories)

Abreu

Compared to the likes of Micker Adolfo, for example. The White Sox have been hard-pressed to add more than 5-7 players at over that $1 million range over the last 3-5 years.