Melky Cabrera thread

Bob Sacamano

No rumors as of now, but figured he could use his own,thread as interest could pick up.

Motivation for this thread is the Nats have checked in on Jose Bautista. So they are looking for outfielders and we know the offense is not untouchable except for Anderson.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Why is Bruce getting all this buzz while there's been basically nothing on Melky? Seems like Cabrera is arguably the better player, surprised there haven't been more rumors on him.

Melky is a nice all around player. Would be a complimentary player for a team. Bruce is a run producing bat that can help put you over. Unfortunately hes not a good fielder. I would think melky would have interest. Hes been the most consistent hitter for the sox.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Melky is a nice all around player. Would be a complimentary player for a team. Bruce is a run producing bat that can help put you over. Unfortunately hes not a good fielder. I would think melky would have interest. Hes been the most consistent hitter for the sox.

But Bruce will more than likely cost you more to acquire.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)

Jay Bruce has a significant edge in power, but is far worse at contact and getting on-base. They'll fairly close as hitters IMO. However, Bruce has actually been worse defensively. If I were a GM, I would definitely prefer Melky over Bruce but that's just me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Jay Bruce has a significant edge in power, but is far worse at contact and getting on-base. They'll fairly close as hitters IMO. However, Bruce has actually been worse defensively. If I were a GM, I would definitely prefer Melky over Bruce but that's just me.

But bruce is a run producering bat. As you see from the white sox stand point having Melky and having lack of running producing bats have seriously hurt the white sox offense. Again melky is a complimentary piece to a line up. Say you add melky to bostons lineup would work cause they have good bats to go along with him

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

Almost leads me to believe Melky isn't on the block or Hahn is expecting a #1 prospect in return. He's done nothing but make good solid contact since June of last year. Obviously not good in the field, but I wouldn't call him a burden either. He'd fit great into the top 6 of the lineup for any playoff team.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
Almost leads me to believe Melky isn't on the block or Hahn is expecting a #1 prospect in return. He's done nothing but make good solid contact since June of last year. Obviously not good in the field, but I wouldn't call him a burden either. He'd fit great into the top 6 of the lineup for any playoff team.

I will say this, if Hahn doesn't move Melky between now and tomorrow, it strongly supports the idea they'll be going for it in 2017.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
I will say this, if Hahn doesn't move Melky between now and tomorrow, it strongly supports the idea they'll be going for it in 2017.

Melky, Robertson, and at least 1 of Shields/Gonzalez...no logical reason not to trade all of them to be honest.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
Melky is better than Jay Bruce. Can't believe teams that want Bruce aren't calling about Melky who is a better pure hitter and is a switch hitter. Doesn't have his power but makes up for it with contract, average and OBP. Color me shocked

Yeah, I'd be shocked if teams with OF needs weren't calling us about Melky. He'd actually be a perfect fit for Texas where he could DH and play a little OF. The question is whether or not Melky is even available. If you're going for it in 2017, you pretty much have to keep him. Like I said previously, if he's not dealt, it's probably an indication of our plans for next year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)

Agree. As I said yesterday, I am afraid Hahn is still going for it in 2016. Not sure Melky's value will ever be higher than today and they just added a 4th outfielder who can be slotted in for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
Agree. As I said yesterday, I am afraid Hahn is still going for it in 2016. Not sure Melky's value will ever be higher than today and they just added a 4th outfielder who can be slotted in for the rest of the season.

Melky is the only .800 OPS hitter on the Sox roster. If you deal him, you need to replace that production somehow... either via another trade or via shelling out way too much money for Reddick, Cespedes, or Rasmus this winter. I don't see the Sox being major players in free agency this winter.

What would be the expected return on Melky? Maybe a Top 50 prospect and a decent bullpen arm? If so, I'd wait until next year to deal him.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
Melky is the only .800 OPS hitter on the Sox roster. If you deal him, you need to replace that production somehow... either via another trade or via shelling out way too much money for Reddick, Cespedes, or Rasmus this winter. I don't see the Sox being major players in free agency this winter.

What would be the expected return on Melky? Maybe a Top 50 prospect and a decent bullpen arm? If so, I'd wait until next year to deal him.

You shouldn't be worrying about that going into the beginning of a rebuild. They need to assemble as much young talent as possible and figure out how to piece it together later.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:08 PM)
You shouldn't be worrying about that going into the beginning of a rebuild. They need to assemble as much young talent as possible and figure out how to piece it together later.

Yup, absolutely no reason not to deal Melky and give Coats a two month trial in LF.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)

Who said the Sox are going into a rebuild right now? If they are, they need to move either Sale or Q between now and March. Guys like Melky and Robertson aren't going to get you enough talent to do it properly.

I think it's a lot more likely that the Sox try to retool a little over the next six months and save the major trades for next July.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Who said the Sox are going into a rebuild right now? If they are, they need to move either Sale or Q between now and March. Guys like Melky and Robertson aren't going to get you enough talent to do it properly.

I think it's a lot more likely that the Sox try to retool a little over the next six months and save the major trades for next July.

If that is the case, then they shouldn't trade him.

I sure hope it isn't.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)

That would be so incredibly risky IMO. First off, your odds of building winner for the 2017 are incredibly low. Second, you're passing on potential value that guys like Melky & Gonzalez could get you now. Finally, you're gambling that your prized assets don't get hurt between now and next July. Why take that risk?

This organization needs to be smart for once and blow things up between now and the offseason.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
That would be so incredibly risky IMO. First off, your odds of building winner for the 2017 are incredibly low. Second, you're passing on potential value that guys like Melky & Gonzalez could get you now. Finally, you're gambling that your prized assets don't get hurt between now and next July. Why take that risk?

This organization needs to be smart for once and blow things up between now and the offseason.

I agree with you and Shack, but I don't think that the Sox are going to do that.