2016 Rio Olympics Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Game was on live on TV (or at least I thought it was one live) on one of those special olympic feeds. I watched a bit of the spain game to see Niko and Pau (only watched 1st half).

uverse has a channel dedicated to soccer and basketball I would rather they have that for swimming and gymnastics althought most of those they can get on their prime time programming

Yesterday senegal and the U.S women were on two channels

Caught me some Italy v brazil women's archery good stuff.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Screw that. I want to watch it in primetime and I don't blame them. They paid massive amounts of money for this and as such want to maximize ratings. I don't have an issue if some other channel or online you could stream live, but I don't think their primary platform (i.e., NBC over the air) should just air stuff live and say screw the tape delay.

I think they can do both. Show the event live either streaming online or on a cable channel like Bravo, but then you can still include it as part of your main primetime broadcast. For the Olympics, the majority of viewers are like you. They would still watch it on tape delay, they watch it for the drama and excitement. It's completely different than a NFL or NBA game.

Either way, I don't see how you can blame news outlets for reporting on the news live as it happens. Yahoo or ESPN stand nothing to gain by adjusting their broadcast to NBC's schedule.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Screw that. I want to watch it in primetime and I don't blame them. They paid massive amounts of money for this and as such want to maximize ratings. I don't have an issue if some other channel or online you could stream live, but I don't think their primary platform (i.e., NBC over the air) should just air stuff live and say screw the tape delay.

So NBC is literally only tape delaying things by an hour. Ledecky's swim could have easily aired live during the prime time broadcast. NBC opted not to do so. It's one thing to air things on tape delay when the time change is several hours difference, but the only reason for it in Rio is that NBC literally doesn't consider this a sports broadcast... they consider it reality TV.

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news...0a12srewzuyl81k

So echoing everyone else in this thread, blame NBC for filling every 10 minutes of the primetime broadcast with athlete profiles rather than airing the events live.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
I think they can do both. Show the event live either streaming online or on a cable channel like Bravo, but then you can still include it as part of your main primetime broadcast. For the Olympics, the majority of viewers are like you. They would still watch it on tape delay, they watch it for the drama and excitement. It's completely different than a NFL or NBA game.

Either way, I don't see how you can blame news outlets for reporting on the news live as it happens. Yahoo or ESPN stand nothing to gain by adjusting their broadcast to NBC's schedule.

Note: It is only drama and excitement if I don't know what happens. You get rid of that when you report live.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
Note: It is only drama and excitement if I don't know what happens. You get rid of that when you report live.

Being live is a large part of what gives sports drama and excitement. You're seeing something happen right now and experiencing it with the crowds in the stands and the competitors themselves.

Taped sports are trash and should only be accepted when there's no reasonable way of being lived (like it taking place halfway around the world).

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
So NBC is literally only tape delaying things by an hour. Ledecky's swim could have easily aired live during the prime time broadcast. NBC opted not to do so. It's one thing to air things on tape delay when the time change is several hours difference, but the only reason for it in Rio is that NBC literally doesn't consider this a sports broadcast... they consider it reality TV.

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news...0a12srewzuyl81k

So echoing everyone else in this thread, blame NBC for filling every 10 minutes of the primetime broadcast with athlete profiles rather than airing the events live.

Put your phone down for 2 hours and just f***ing watch channel 5 for f***'s sake.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
Not much of a reason to watch tonight thanks to everyone on Twitter.

This was the one time I was genuinely upset to be spoiled. I didn't even know today was the final, I would have been able to watch tonight in suspense.

Oh well, it's amazing that the US is now the dominant gymnastics team. 96 was so incredible, but we were always the underdog. Now this is amazing. Congrats to all of them.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
Not much of a reason to watch tonight thanks to everyone on Twitter.

ThIs is where I remind everyone that NBC asked the IOC to change the order of countries from alphabetical order at the Opening Ceremonies, just to appease their broadcast. They are the enemy, not everyone on Twitter. It's 2016 man.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
ThIs is where I remind everyone that NBC asked the IOC to change the order of countries from alphabetical order at the Opening Ceremonies, just to appease their broadcast. They are the enemy, not everyone on Twitter. It's 2016 man.

There's no changing it, I get it. But it still sucks to learn about it at 3pm or whatever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:57 PM)
I just said on facebook that it was like talking s*** to Michael Jordan in his prime. All you are going to do is piss him off.

He knows that Phelps is great though and he knows its rare that anyone can beat him so he tried to pull out all the stops in efforts to do that. Maybe getting in his head would work, maybe it would back fire as it did. You try anything against the greats.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
Serena lost? Damn, not a good tourney for them.

At least the swimming is live (sorry Gage). I'm impressed by quick the turnaround is on these races, it seems like less than 10 minutes between races

I'm on the west coast so none of it is live (I don't think). Either way, I don't watch these sports for the pure liveness of them, I watch for the embedded drama, the camera angles, etc. If it was just flipping back and forth to all the "live" sports, I don't get the embedded feed of Phelps staring down his competitor two nights ago, etc. That stuff is awesome and through the production value, they ensure the maximized drama and excitement in sports that I would otherwise not care about (and I love the olympics). We don't watch a lot of TV in our house, but these two weeks, my wife and I have it on everyone night and it is great that it basically starts when the kids are done with bath and kind of ready to go down for the night.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
I just said on facebook that it was like talking s*** to Michael Jordan in his prime. All you are going to do is piss him off.

The production value NBC added to the whole thing was awesome too (the other day with the staredown, etc). Just awesome stuff. Phelp's is a beast. I hope he finishes out these olympics strong, but man, Ladecky is something else too. So is that Hungarian female swimmer from USC (total beastmode dominator).

Loved the US girl taking out the roided Russian two nights ago too :)

And women's gymnastics team, holy hell are they good. I can't think of a time where I ever saw a team make everything look so easy and dominant. It literally looked like they had the staples "easy" button. Then you see other teams go and realize oh, it isn't so easy.