ROBIN VENTURA appreciation thread

greg775

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 05:45 AM)
He led the team to the worst winning pct in franchise history. The criticism is well deserved.

There were plenty of mistakes he made he never learned from. I'm not about to go back through every game thread to find poor in game decisions he made but they were common.

Navarro dogged it plenty of times. Lengthy DL stints by certain players.

He was a big part of the reason those two situations became issues that ended up being covered by the national media. Too passive to take charge and put guys in their place. It's why all the players will always say he's a good guy. He wouldn't tell them anything they don't want to hear.

This was a Robin appreciation thread. We couldn't make it through two pages without criticism? Hey our front office blows chunks. Robin had to go to war every day with a bunch of bums (in baseball sense). Like we pointed out he had to be let go, but there are plenty of good things to say about Robin. As far as the good guy thing, he followed Ozzie, who basically had no supporters at the end except greg.

He was one of my favorite players growing up.

The first good hitting Sox draft pick in years. Golden Spikes and the 58 game hitting streak.

The shame that JR would let him sign with the Yankees because he wouldn't pay him what Thomas was being underpaid at the time.

I just wish that he had gotten some minor league managerial experience before he got the Sox job.

Best of luck at your kids' games, Robin.

My brother pointed something out to me. When Robin played, I really wasn't nearly the fan a lot of others were. We called him the Boy Wonder, and on occasion the Boy Blunder. I liked him, but I really didn't appreciate him as a player all that much.

The weird part is many of those who just loved him as a player, hated him as a manager. I didn't love him as a player (although looking back, he was better than pretty good) and had no problem with his managing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
My brother pointed something out to me. When Robin played, I really wasn't nearly the fan a lot of others were. We called him the Boy Wonder, and on occasion the Boy Blunder. I liked him, but I really didn't appreciate him as a player all that much.

The weird part is many of those who just loved him as a player, hated him as a manager. I didn't love him as a player (although looking back, he was better than pretty good) and had no problem with his managing.

I think there are a lot of people who don't really appreciate how damn good Robin was as a player. From '91 to '97 when Frank and Robin were both during their peaks playing together, Frank averaged 6.7 fWAR per 162 games and Robin averaged 5.6 fWAR. I'm sure most people would look at you like you're crazy if you were to tell them that Robin was almost as good as Frank at that time. If you look at their overall careers, Robin averaged 4.4 fWAR per 162 and Frank averaged 5.0 fWAR per 162. There was a hell of a lot of value in that glove of Ventura's and I think if he were playing today putting up similar numbers he would be a much bigger star than he was then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Say something positive about Robin? Here's one:

Thanks for the best coached team I've ever seen on a baseball field in 2012.

I personally thought Ozzie's 2008 was the best-coached performance I've seen from a White Sox team. But Ventura getting 85 wins from the roster he had in 2012 was certainly pretty impressive.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)

I was a big fan of Robin the player. He was pretty damn good.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
Which is something I've never claimed. But even if I had, it would be much closer to truth than the way he was treated on here.

The vast majority of posters here primarily blame the front office and/or ownership for this mess. There are a handful of posters who think Robin is the primary reason for our recent failures, but they are few and far between.

The truth is Robin is just one of many problems with this organization, and while a smaller one in the grand scheme of things, he's also an easily correctable one. These problems aren't mutually exclusive, so replacing Robin makes the team by even a single game the move makes sense. That's what most posters here believe IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 07:24 AM)
The vast majority of posters here primarily blame the front office and/or ownership for this mess. There are a handful of posters who think Robin is the primary reason for our recent failures, but they are few and far between.

The truth is Robin is just one of many problems with this organization, and while a smaller one in the grand scheme of things, he's also an easily correctable one. These problems aren't mutually exclusive, so replacing Robin makes the team by even a single game the move makes sense. That's what most posters here believe IMO.

This is the Robin Ventura appreciation thread, not the still b****ing about Robin Ventura thread.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
This is the Robin Ventura appreciation thread, not the still b****ing about Robin Ventura thread.

Lol...GTFO. You literally pollute every thread with your constant need to play devil's advocate or simply pick a fight with Caulfield over pretty much anything he says. Meanwhile, I'm defending a big chunk of this board who believes Robin was a class act (see my post on page 1) but are objective enough to admit he's a bad manager (see all your posts). I'm not going to sit back while someone uses your token move, the gross generalization of the entire board, to troll us posters who had been nothing but respectful in this thread.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
Lol...GTFO. You literally pollute every thread with your constant need to play devil's advocate or simply pick a fight with Caulfield over pretty much anything he says. Meanwhile, I'm defending a big chunk of this board who believes Robin was a class act (see my post on page 1) but are objective enough to admit he's a bad manager (see all your posts). I'm not going to sit back while someone uses your token move, the gross generalization of the entire board, to troll us posters who had been nothing but respectful in this thread.

Defending the board going in the Robin Ventura appreciation thread for more complaining? That's rich. It's also rich you mention my posts yet you feel it's OK for YOU to pollute an appreciation thread with more b****ing.

The fact of the matter is Eminor is totally correct.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
Defending the board going in the Robin Ventura appreciation thread for more complaining? That's rich. It's also rich you mention my posts yet you feel it's OK for YOU to pollute an appreciation thread with more b****ing.

The fact of the matter is Eminor is totally correct.

Complaint Police Sergeant Major Allen on patrol!!

:lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)
Class to the end. He was in a situation no one would have succeeded. The holy triumvirate of RH,KW and JR know this, that's why all the "loyalty".

Hopefully they will strengthen the roster to where they will win more. I'm OK with Renteria, but Paul Sullivan isn't very impressed.

I thought they should've at least completed an interview process and do their due diligence and see what other surprise managers, if any, hit the market. But I like Renteria and hope they nail the bench coach and hitting coach.